Upcoming trip to Houston

I'm travelling to Houston (from Scotland) for a training course with my work in

April and I was hoping to take a few extra days after the trip to get some more

street & people photography in. Are there any places in or around Houston which

anyone would recommend for this?

Also, I wouldn't mind trying out a decent studio for a change, for some

portraits and figure work - so far the only studio's I've used are my

university and camera club studios - both of whom have pretty dated equipment.

It'd make a nice change to try out some professional facilities.

I'd also be very interested in doing some dance images - preferrably ballet.

Does anyone know of any contacts where I might be able to try out a few of my

ideas?

If it helps, I can wear my kilt!

Best regards,

Guy Carnegie.

When i nApril ? The best opportunities for street photography will be the Houston

international Festival over the weekends of April 21-22 and 27-28 . There should be

some

weekday performances at lunchtime onduring theat week as well. The schedule is at

http://

www.ifest.org/dnn/default.aspx

( When I lived in Houston I was the official photogrpaher for the Festival for most of the

1990s).

Wearing a kilt always helps!

Light Tec rents lighting and camera gear and can help you find a rental studio.

Forgot!

Also check out the Menil Collection and the Rothko Chapel complex and the Museum of

Fine Arts Sculpture Garden.Also the Orange Show. Also the Art Car Museum.

Unforunatel ythe Art Car Parade and International Festival severed their ties a few years

back (which was very dumb) and the Annual Art Car Parade this year will be in MAy.

And make a point to eat at Goode Company BBQ on Kirby Drive and La Jaliciencia

(spelling?) on Richmond Ave (if it is still there --it's near the Menil collection).

Since you are from scotland .. there are a few things I would recommend.. thats a bit

americana :)

(1) if your flight comes in at night.. the freeway drive into downtown is like nothing else

(particularly in europe) .. remember to take photos on the way in :)

(2) Also being european, go to the mall.. the upscale mall is known as the "galleria" .. its in

downtown and crazy large .. *but* if you do this.. you should also go to the 'decayed' mall

called sharpstown (its not touristy be warned) .. but its a good study in contrasts..

(3) there is a a slew of pretty buildings/bar spots in downtown now and the 'futuristic light

rail' will take you there .. its worth having a drink there and walking around.. but truth be

told i think you'll see it as a bad faux europe .. but still its a place to have a drink

(4) take bellaire west to southwest houston /alief area.. that street is now a giant china

town.. I don't think in square miles there is a larger china town anywhere, it goes on for

miles, literally.. stop at the local grocery stores, snag some vietnamese sandwiches from a

local shop.. the area is actually a wide mix of hispanic, vietnamese, south asian and

african immigrants and really represents what i think is the best side of houston and really

america as a whole, it is the quintessential melting pot of america

(5) the area near rothko etc is pretty close to the old gayborhood and always fun to hang

out in .. basically montrose / elgin areas .. its not really that walkable truth be told and

somewhat yuppified .. if you do enjoy yourself here you will probably like walking around

the 'rice village' area which isn't that far from there..

(6) do go to nasa and eat some BBQ as well otherwise no will know you went to texas :)

(7) its not really that well known but the beer in texas is quite good.. there was a old

german community that had settled there .. so where-ever you go .. the local brewery is

called shiner and they are famous for their bock beers... so have a shiner bock for me :)

If you have a chance, make a trip out to Galveston Island- about an hour's drive out of Houston, old buildings, tourists, beach, tourists, etc. Ride the free ferry from there to Bolivar Peninsula and back as well.

Johnson Space Center is near Houston. Go see how big a Saturn V was.

Previous posts have pointed out that photography of refineries, which not illegal, may have you hassled by security people and/or police.

Houston is not noted for ballet, or for that matter, for photography- so you're probably not any better off on those items than in any other large town. Expect to see lots and lots of cars and people.

You could go to Brazos Bend State Park, about 45-min. SW and hike among the Gators and wildfowl. It's where I go to "get away". Great Chinese food out on Bellaire Blvd (don't bother with "Chinatown" East of downtown). Great Korean on Longpoint. Great Vietnamese close to downtown. Great ethnic diversity up-and-down Hillcroft. As you can see, food is important to me.

My wife and I were born and raised in Houston. We live in Sugar Land, a suburb to the southwest of the city. Ellis hit the main things I was going to mention -- the International Festival, the Menil Collection (one of the greatest private art collections in the world), the Orange Show, the Art Car Museum. I especially agree with his recommendation to eat at Goode Company BBQ; it's the best in town, and the only place my wife and I eat BBQ.

Avijit is right about the beer, but I prefer Shiner Blonde! There is also a good micro-brewery, St. Arnold's. Their beers are available all over town. You can't come to Houston without visiting the Galleria, but I'm not sure I'd go to Sharpstown Mall, especially with expensive camera equipment.

I agree with Stephen H about Galveston Island and the Johnson Space Center. If you go to Galveston, be sure to visit The Strand, in the historic district. There is an old army surplus store, Colonel Bubbie's, on The Strand. It's a must-see, but I don't think the Colonel allows photography in the store. We usually eat seafood at Fisherman's Wharf, near The Strand. It's just down the street from The Elissa, a restored "tall ship". I disagree with his remark about photography, though. There is a great resource, the Houston Center for Photography. It's within walking distance of the Menil Collection. They are celebrating their twenty-fifth anniversary this year, and have some wonderful exhibits planned. There are several other galleries that specialize in photography. There is also Fotofest. I'm not sure what they are exhibiting, but they are not too far from the Art Car Museum.

You never know what the weather will be like. It ususally varies from hot to damn hot. It can get pretty muggy, too. Don't plan on doing too much walking. We measure distances in how long it takes to get somewhere. That's why Stephen H says that Galveston is about an hour's drive from Houston. It's about fifty miles, but all freeway driving.

I hope you have a great time here. My wife and don't care to live anywhere else. Most of the people are friendly, so don't hesitate to ask for directions or assistance.