Unoffical Vista X64 driver of LS-8000ED/9000ED for Nikon Scan 4.03

<p>I knew someone has been looking for this for a long time, but shame Nikon never gonna to do this for our Nikon scanner users, even it may cost very little effort to do it.<br>

Yesterday, I upgrade my PC to Quid core Q8200 with 8G RAM and 1.2TB raid0 disks, want to enjoy the huge performance boosting for film scanning/processing. But after I installed Vista Ultimate X64 with SP1, I was too disappointed to find my 8000ED will never be supported by Nikon in X64 build windows.<br>

After some searching, I found 5000ED can be driven by Vuescan driver in Vista 64, but 8000ED can't be supported in the same way. I thought about to install a dual boot Windows XP just for film scanning purpose, but I felt it should be the last way I want to go.<br>

After some research on the Nikon Scan driver and VueScan driver, finally I find a perfect way to DIY my own driver, actually it is a combination of VueScan/NS driver files.<br>

The new driver has two files, first one is the modified scanners.inf from vuescan 8.5, the second one is NKScnUSD.dll from Nikon Scan 4.03 ( it can be found in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Nikon\Driver\Scan1394" after NS 4.03 was installed).<br>

To install,<br>

Before step 1), please make sure uninstalling any previous 8000ED/9000ED device from the device manager, and check"remove the drivers either" when uninstall device, then reboot to start a clean installation.<br>

1) Cut the following text and paste into a new text file, and save as scanners.inf<br>

;========================= Begin of scanners.inf =============================== <br>

; scanners.inf -- Windows Still Image Setup File<br>

[Version]<br />Signature="$CHICAGO$"<br />Class=Image<br />ClassGUID={6bdd1fc6-810f-11d0-bec7-08002be2092f}<br />Provider=%Provider%<br />DriverVer=1/1/2009,1.0<br>

[Manufacturer]<br />%Mfg%=Models,ntamd64<br>

[Models]<br />; USB scanners<br />"Nikon LS-40" = USBScanner,USB\Vid_04b0&Pid_4000<br />"Nikon LS-50" = USBScanner,USB\Vid_04b0&Pid_4001<br />"Nikon LS-5000" = USBScanner,USB\Vid_04b0&Pid_4002<br />"Nikon LS-10" = SCSIScanner,SCSI\ScannerNikon___COOLSCAN________<br />"Nikon LS-20" = SCSIScanner,SCSI\ScannerNIKON___COOLSCAN_II_____<br />"Nikon LS-1000" = SCSIScanner,SCSI\ScannerNIKON___LS-1000_________<br />"Nikon LS-30" = SCSIScanner,SCSI\ScannerNIKON___COOLSCANIII_____<br />"Nikon LS-2000" = SCSIScanner,SCSI\ScannerNIKON___LS-2000_________<br />"SCSI Scanner" = SCSIScanner,GenScanner<br />"SCSI Scanner" = SCSIScanner,SCSI\GenScanner<br />; Firewire scanners<br />"Firewire Scanner" = SBP2Scanner,SBP2\GenScanner<br>

;---------------- Duplicated from [Models]<br />[Models.ntamd64]<br />; USB scanners<br />"Nikon LS-10" = SCSIScanner,SCSI\ScannerNikon___COOLSCAN________<br />"Nikon LS-20" = SCSIScanner,SCSI\ScannerNIKON___COOLSCAN_II_____<br />"Nikon LS-1000" = SCSIScanner,SCSI\ScannerNIKON___LS-1000_________<br />"Nikon LS-30" = SCSIScanner,SCSI\ScannerNIKON___COOLSCANIII_____<br />"Nikon LS-2000" = SCSIScanner,SCSI\ScannerNIKON___LS-2000_________<br />; Other SCSI Scanners (type 6)<br />"SCSI Scanner" = SCSIScanner,GenScanner<br />"SCSI Scanner" = SCSIScanner,SCSI\GenScanner<br />; Firewire scanners<br />"Firewire Scanner" = SBP2Scanner,SBP2\GenScanner<br />"Nikon SUPER COOLSCAN 8000 ED" = SBP2Scanner_NIKON,SBP2\NIKON___&LS-8000_ED______&CMDSETID104D8<br />"Nikon SUPER COOLSCAN 9000 ED" = SBP2Scanner_NIKON,SBP2\NIKON___&LS-9000_ED______&CMDSETID104D8<br />;---------------- USBScanner -------------------------<br>

[uSBScanner]<br />Include=sti.inf<br />Needs=STI.USBSection<br />SubClass=StillImage<br />DeviceType=1<br />DeviceSubType=1<br />Capabilities=0<br>

[uSBScanner.Services]<br />Include=sti.inf<br />Needs=STI.USBSection.Services<br>

;---------------- SCSIScanner ------------------------<br>

[sCSIScanner]<br />Include=sti.inf<br />Needs=STI.SCSISection<br />SubClass=StillImage<br />DeviceType=1<br />DeviceSubType=1<br />Capabilities=0<br>

[sCSIScanner.Services]<br />Include=sti.inf<br />Needs=STI.SCSISection.Services<br>

;---------------- SBP2Scanner ------------------------<br>

[sBP2Scanner]<br />Include=sti.inf<br />Needs=STI.SBP2Section<br />SubClass=StillImage<br />DeviceType=1<br />DeviceSubType=2<br />Capabilities=0<br>

[sBP2Scanner_NIKON]<br />Include=sti.inf<br />Needs=STI.SBP2Section<br />SubClass=StillImage<br />DeviceType=1<br />DeviceSubType=2<br />Capabilities=0<br />AddReg=NK1394SCN.AddReg<br />CopyFiles=NK1394SCN.CopyUSDFiles<br>

<br />[sBP2Scanner.Services]<br />Include=sti.inf<br />Needs=STI.SBP2Section.Services<br>

[sBP2Scanner_NIKON.Services]<br />Include=sti.inf<br />Needs=STI.SBP2Section.Services<br>

[NK1394SCN.AddReg]<br />HKR,,HardwareConfig,1,2<br />HKR,,DevLoader,,*NTKERN<br />HKR,,NTMPDriver,,"scsiscan.sys"<br />HKR,DeviceData,ICMProfile,1,0,0<br />HKR,,USDClass,,"{07C71AC0-FA90-11d3-B409-00C04F87578E}"<br />HKCR,CLSID\{07C71AC0-FA90-11d3-B409-00C04F87578E},,,"Nikon STI USD"<br />HKCR,CLSID\{07C71AC0-FA90-11d3-B409-00C04F87578E}\InProcServer32,,,%11%\NKSCNUSD.DLL<br />HKCR,CLSID\{07C71AC0-FA90-11d3-B409-00C04F87578E}\InProcServer32,ThreadingModel,,"Both"<br>

[sourceDisksNames]<br />1=%DiskName%,,<br>

[sourceDisksFiles]<br />NKSCNUSD.dll=1<br>

[DestinationDirs]<br />NK1394SCN.CopyUSDFiles=11<br>

[NK1394SCN.CopyUSDFiles]<br />NKSCNUSD.dll,,,32<br>

;-----------------------------------------------------<br>

[strings]<br />Provider="<a href="mailto:steelchn@gmail.com">steelchn@gmail.com</a>"<br />Mfg="DIY Software"<br />DiskName="Nikon Scan 4 CD-ROM"<br>

;========================= End of scanners.inf =============================== <br>

2) Install Nikon Scan 4.03 first, then copy NKScnUSD.dll from "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Nikon\Driver\Scan1394" to the same folde as scanners.inf in step 1)<br>

3) Open Device Manager, select the device "NIKON LS-8000ED SBP2 ...." from the list, right click and select update driver.<br>

4) Click "Browse computer to locate the drivers", then point to the file folder where you save scanners.inf, then press ok.<br>

5) When Windows ask for your permisson to install the driver, please choose always install.<br>

6) Windows should tell you the driver was installed ok finally, at least it works for me.<br>

When it is installed ok, if you checked the details of the device driver, you shoul have 3 files in Vista X64 SP1, it is ksthunk.sys, scsiscan.sys, NKSCNUSD.dll.<br>

This driver can support 5000ED/8000ED, tested in Vistal X64 SP1, 9000ED and other X64 build are not tested.<br>

Cheers, and good luck,<br>

Sorry, I will not hold any responsibility for any damages caused by following my way, please take your own risk to have a try.<br>

Steel. </p>

<div>00Ryck-102675684.jpg.96d22c8c59aa19c18f449638022e4073.jpg</div>

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
It's great to hear more successful cases from the community, one thing to remind is there maybe some compatitbility issues with VueScan, as current VueScan releases has some non functional driver support to 8000ED/9000ED. The solution is installing my driver first, then when VueScan ask whether to install his driver in its first installation, just say no to bypass it.

• 4 weeks later...

<p>Thank you so much for this. I was able to get my LS-4000ED scanner working with Vista 64 and Nikonscan 4.0.3. Here's how:<br>

Find this line in the scanners.inf file:<br>

"Nikon SUPER COOLSCAN 8000 ED" = SBP2Scanner_NIKON,SBP2\NIKON___&LS-8000_ED______&CMDSETID104D8<br>

Copy it and paste it back into the file right above its duplicate so there are two identical lines. Then change the two "8000 ED"'s to "4000 ED" in the pasted copy and the line should look like this:<br>

"Nikon SUPER COOLSCAN 4000 ED" = SBP2Scanner_NIKON,SBP2\NIKON___&LS-4000_ED______&CMDSETID104D8<br>

Save the file and follow all other instructions as listed in the original post. No guarantees but it worked for me. Woohoo.</p>

• 3 weeks later...

<p>I very much want to get this to work, but I am having a problem.<br>

I am running Vista 64, SP1. I have a Nikon 9000. The computer won't recognize the scanner in the device manager with only Nikon Scan installed. <br>

When I install VueScan, the computer sort of recognizes the scanner -- it shows up in device manager under imaging devices as "firewire scanner" (not by its proper name). Strangely, my Nikon V scanner does show up properly in device manager when I install ViewScan. However, as Steel Chn pointed out, installing viewscan before Nikon Scan seems to create other issues.<br>

Any ideas for getting the computer to recognize the scanner under Nikon Scan? All suggestions much appreciated.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Thanks a lot, your solution works on my pc with vista 64 bit and the coolscan 9000<br>

I think I will have a talk with the boss of Nikon NPS here in Vienna when I meet him again, you really have to wonder why Nikon is not willing to make a 64 bit driver.<br>

Greetings !<br>

Christian</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Thanks Christopher for sharing your success with 4000ED, I didn't have that one, so I missed it.<br>

Andy, VueScan's built-in driver does support Nikon V-ED ( I heard from others) and 5000ED( I tested ), as both of them are USB connected, and they works fine in NikonScan/VueScan with this driver . But for 1394 connected scanners like 8000ED/9000ED, VueScan's driver will do sth wrong, it will lead to 8000ED/9000ED being recognized by Windows device manager with wrong name/configuration, so NS can't see it correctly.<br>

So the solution for you is:<br>

1) Power on 9000ED, open device manager, then remove the "fireware scanner" instance, power off 9000ED.<br>

2) Uninstall VueScan, then reboot. <br>

3) Follow my steps above to install my driver.<br>

4) Check if 9000ED was listed in device manager ( with the name "Nikon Super Coolscan 9000 ED") and whether NS 4.03 can see it. If it fails, please start with a clean Vista x64 installation(Should be uncessary).<br>

5) Turn on V-ED, if it can't be listed in device manager or NS 403 can't recognized it, please install VueScan with the choice that "I have a legacy scanner that I don't have driver ...", otherwise, you can ignore the driver question from VueScan.<br>

The point is installing my driver first to support 9000ED in NS, then install VueScan driver to support V-ED if necessary.<br>

Sorry for the late response, I didn't check this post frequently.<br>

Good luck,<br>

Steel</p>

<p> </p>

• 4 weeks later...

<p>Steel,</p>

<p>I gave it a try (Coolscan 9000 and Vista 64) but when I right click on the driver from device manager an run the update pointed to the directory with your file and the NKScnUSD.dll I get an error:</p>

<p>"Windows was unable to install your Nikon LS-9000 ED IEEE1394 SBP2 Device"</p>

<p>Any ideas on how to troubleshoot?</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>First, please double check scanners.inf make sure it looks exact like what I posted as above, and copy & paste & save in Windows Notepad in ANSI text mode.<br>

Second, please run a clean install as I indicated before, instead of updating driver files, maybe it will make your life easier.<br>

Good luck<br>

-Steel</p>

<p>Steel, I have just installed the Windows 7 release candidate, 64 bit version, and I've been trying to get my LS-50 ED running. Previously I used XP 32-bit, so had no issues. I am assuming that I can treat Windows 7 64-bit as Vista 64-bit.<br>

Nikon Scan 4.0.3 installed without complaints. I followed your instructions and created a folder with NkScanUSD.dll and scanners.inf (made sure this was PC/ANSI).<br>

I can see "LS-50 ED" in Device Manager". However, when I attempt to update drivers, and navigate to the folder with the two files, Windows gives me "Windows was unable to install your LS-50 ED / Windows could not find driver software for this address".<br>

I realise I am pushing my luck here, but I'm wondering if you have (or, indeed, anyone else has) any experience in getting the LS-50 ED running under Windows 7. Or even any bright ideas?<br>

thanks in advance, Jerry</p>

<p>Actually, installing VueScan and then installing Nikon Scan 4.0.3, without installing its drivers, worked fine for the LS-50 ED on Windows 7 64 bit. I see now that this is a recognised solution for the LS-50 ED under Vista 64-bit, but at least I can confirm that it works for Windows 7 64-bit.</p>