Unloading film on a Rolleiflex 3.5E-E3

jil_tardiff

Hi all,

For some reason I ended up acquiring several cameras at once, between learning how to use them and

resurrecting my darkroom I've been awfully busy.

I finally got around to putting a roll of film through my Rolleiflex-- based on the first contact sheet I will

need to get used to this one, but the Maxwell screen is a *huge help* -- so thanks to those who

suggested it. I did run into one problem--- unloading the film. It was odd, the shutter appropriately

"locked" after the 12th exposure, but then shouldn't the crank wind up the rest of the film freely? It felt

locked, so I didn't force it -- I sacrificed the last picture on the roll (no big deal) but it did crank freely

after the back opened.

Any of you Rollei experts have any ideas?

Thanks!

JT

Thanks for confirming my concern.

Luckily I purchased this from a reputable guy, he immediately suggested I mail it in to him for a look-see. I'm going to run a roll of film through it this afternoon to make sure it wasn't operator error and if still no dice, off it goes to the Rollei hospital.

JT

OK, so this time I slowed down and (as Mike suggested) rocked the crank first -- and then the winding went perfectly. Must have been newbie operator error the first time.

I may still have the guy take a look out of it because the shutter wheel is very tight, but I'll put a few rolls through it first.

I am really enjoying this camera, what a blast.

JT

Jil: it's interesting to hear about your experiences with your "new" 'flex 3.5E3. I've just

recently acquired one, too. And, while it's pretty ugly to look at. it seems to perform well

in a mechanical sense. The 3.5 Planar lens makes sharp pix, but I was hoping for a bit

more contrast -- probably have to experiment with film/developer combinations to get

what I want.

Any comments on results from users of the Xenotar variant?

• 3 years later...