Underwater with Mamiya RZ67

baard_lunde

I work as a fashion photographer, and currently use the Mamiya RZ67 ProIID with

a digital back. I would like to do an underwater-fashion-shoot, but curious how

to proceed. Are there any waterproof containers for Mamiya RZ or another trick

one could do? The equipment is quite expensive, so hopefully a safe way:-)

Wow, talk about a near impossible challenge. You do not mention any details about the shooting conditions: pool, open water, sea etc. etc., but due to the RZs bellows focus, controls layout, and your digital back cables, a self-contained, submergible housing would be extremely complicated and custom made (expensive). If a pool type setting is possible, then scout a location that has underwater viewing windows, of sufficient clarity, to permit RZ shooting with dry feet.

That said, if the camera system could be supported or floated ABOVE the water, an inverted periscope system might be viable. A sketch is worth a thousand words, but imagine a camera dry above the water, pointed downward into an optical periscope major axis that penetrates the water, then an adjustable mirror that controls the exit angle. The wider the lens(s) the bulkier the periscope rig.

Finally, do not forget the lighting requirements. Underwater lighting is not impossible, but better to consider shooting needs sooner rather than later. Good Luck and If You can Pull this Off, Please Post an Image!

Thanks for your great reply Scott.

<p>

I will definitely shoot the images in a pool which makes it much easier. I suppose untethered is the way to go, so I get rid of the cables. Your idea about having the camera over the water with a mirror is great. But it will be a great effort to find the proper focus:-)</p>

Let me think for a while how this could be achieved. Please post some ideas if you have some more.

<p>There are a lot of aquarium pools with windows, but it should be hard to get the permit posing together with fish. But I will check it up!</p>

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi ther Baard

I don't know if you are still interested in an Aquatica RZ67 but I am putting mine on the

market.

I am the Technical Field Advisor to Aquatica and live in New England.

If you would like to further this discussion, feel free to e-mail me directly to

mauricio@handlerphoto.com (www.handlerphoto.com)

I have also rented my housing in the past- so buy or rent, this may work out for you as

well.

Sincerly,

Mauricio Handler