Unable to access MY WORKSPACE

Bill J Boyd

<p>For last 3-days have been unable to access MY WORkSPACE. Running Safari on IMAC and have cleared cache but still no joy. Anybody else have this problem? <br>

<strong>Server Error</strong><br>

The requested URL cannot be accessed due to a system error on this server.</p>

<p>Jeff, thanks for response. Glad to know that I am not the only one seeing this problem. Maybe Jin and the elves can take a look at this server. The only way I can access MY WORKSPACE is to type my name in the Member Directory and go from there. Hope the elves can fix this soon. </p>

<p>I've experience intermittent problems recently accessing my workspace page. Some days it's completely inaccessible. At best, during the past week or so, it takes 5-10 minutes of waiting 30-60 seconds for the time out error message, hitting the refresh option and waiting again. That included yesterday, which took about 10 minutes of repeated tries to access the page. I just tried again - once - and got the 504 time out error message after 50 seconds of waiting. The problem seems to follow no pattern. Some weeks the page comes up on the first try after less than 30 seconds. Other weeks it's balky. Same PC, same DSL ISP, Windoze PC, FF 2.x.</p>

<p>It is here as well. Most of the time it takes me two or more tries to enter with 504 time out. In general it is quit sometime now. It is hard to access to my follow comments as well. Very slow those two , but not the other pages that are uploading fast enough.I use firefox.</p>

<p>Same for everyone. Even as an administrator here I get no better access. I have come to fully expect to have to hammer on "My Workspace" a couple of times before it decides to load. Sometimes I just give up.</p>

<p>Not quite sure what the issue is. With my page I have a LOT of forum threads and I don't know if that's affecting anything. Probably not since many people with fewer postings also seem to constantly have trouble loading that page. I assume it's pretty database intensive since it has to search through all your activity on the site to get the various counts. I don't think it's cached.</p>

<p>If it was cached, it could be made to load faster, but it wouldn't display real time statistics and I'm sure people would then complain about that....</p>

<p>I've been convinced for a while now that there are some incompatibilities between Safari and Photo.net. I use Safari from both my desktop and laptop, one is System 10.4 and one is System 10.5. Both experience difficulties and quirks that are only happening on Photo.net and not on other sites. The error messages and problems accessing the workspace page are the most annoying.</p>

<p>I also periodically see things in code instead of wysiwyg until I redraw the screen, at which point the code disappears and the wysiwyg is back.</p>

<p>This all happens when I use any one of several different ISPs I have access to and, like I said, on two different Mac computers. Both my versions of Safari are the most up-to-date for the systems on which they run and caches are cleared regularly. They happen when I travel out of my area as well. For instance, I'm currently in NY and Massachusetts and have been experiencing the same difficulties as when I'm home in California.</p>

We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

<p>I have all the same issues Fred mentions including having the pages sometime initially showing up in code . I am running XP pro using the latest version of Firefox as my browser.</p>

<p>It ofter takes two or three attempts including long delays followed by an equal number of 504 pages to finally log into my workspace. I've found that if I first go to my PN members page which loads successfully albeit slowly, I can then go from there to my workspace page without getting a 504 message.</p>

<p>As most of you have probably noticed, many of the people posting problems on this thread are long time members and/or have "very active" film canisters by their names.</p>

<p>For some reason, people with long histories on the site have a lot of trouble getting into their workspaces. This includes me. Jin is trying to hunt down what database call is the one that is causing all the trouble and then to see if there is a way we can work around it. I know that it's frustrating, and it sucks to have some of our most dedicated members frustrated, but we are working on it.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I've been convinced for a while now that there are some incompatibilities between Safari and Photo.net. I use Safari from both my desktop and laptop, one is System 10.4 and one is System 10.5. Both experience difficulties and quirks that are only happening on Photo.net and not on other sites. The error messages and problems accessing the workspace page are the most annoying.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I would agree that Safari is the least "photo.net" friendly of the main browser programs. For example, I can't seem to make the registrtion CAPTCHA work with Safari no matter what I do.</p>

<p>However, I am 99% sure that the 504 problems with member pages and workspaces are database issues and not browser specific.</p>