Uganda- Chimps and Gorillas

david_herman3

<p>Hello<br>

Has anyone recently been to Kibale to track the chimps and Bwindi to track the gorillas? As well as queen Elizabeth national park for general safari?<br>

Looking for some insight on chimps specifically, what lenses you found worked and didnt work. Any comments on these three locations would be helpful.<br>

Thanks</p>

<p>Not recently (2005) but I assume circumstances are still the same; animal behaviour does not change so fast, evolution is a slow process. At the time I used an APS-C body (10D) with 28-135 IS and 100-400 IS lenses, also a 85 mm prime. In general this setup worked well. The rainforest is - in general - quite dark so be prepared to use high ISO values. Most pictures were taken using the 100-400. If I'd go again I would bring my 5D/24-105 which was added to my setup. And I would replace the 10D by a 7D because of its better autofocus and overall quality. <br />Chimps were difficult to track/photograph since they were hidden in the forest and/or up in the trees. Gorillas were easier since they were relaxed and could be approached easily. In fact it was difficult to keep the desired distance because they were very curious.</p>