Uganda and Rwanda Photo Safari

david_herman3

<p>Hello All,<br>

Later this year I will be traveling to Uganda and Rwanda for a 2 week safari. We will be tracking chimps, trekking gorillas, and going to traditional safari parks. I was wondering if anyone had any input on what lenses to bring, as there are so many different types of environments that I am going to be encountering. Keep in mind carry on only. looking forward to hearing from anyone who has been to these countries, thanks!</p>

<p>Hi David.</p>

<p> I just watched a show called 'Travels to the Edge' and there was show on travel in Uganda. I saw about half the show. Anyway it looks like for the Mountain Gorillas one can get pretty close to them (within 20 feet anyway) in a heavily forested area. I would think proper rain gear would be appropriate though. I can't say how that informs your lens selection however.</p>

<p>In 2005 I was in Kenia/Tanzania/Uganda, cameras were EOS 10D (2x), main lenses 28-135 IS and 100-400 IS. Chimps were difficult to track because they were in the (dense) forest or in the trees. Gorillas were a lot easier. We had instructions to keep 8 m distance but they did not keep to this rule and came much nearer. Most pictures I took of the gorillas were done with the 28-135. Safari in Uganda did not allow for as many pictures as in Kenia/Tanzania because the latter has more open space where tracking of the animals is easier. I'm still convinced that in Uganda more animals have seen us than vice versa. <br>

Now I would bring a 5D/24-105 and 7D/100-400 combo + at least one fast lens (35/2.0 or so). YMMV.</p>

<p>Having done the same trip as Jos did in 2007, I have this to say:</p>

<p>1. I think our group were the only ones that did not see gorillas. We went through 3 days of constant driving and hiking and climbing in the rain and ended up with nothing to show for our trouble, save for a few shots of gorillas looking at us from around 50-70m away. So, lesson no 1, gorillas are not guaranteed.</p>

<p>2. You need rain gear! Absolutely! This is near-rainforest area and, in those occassions when it wont be raining, it will be drizzling and you'll need to be able to shoot quickly. So, apart from taking care of yourself, ensure you have adequate protection for your camera gear as well.</p>

<p>3. From what I heard from our guides, a 70-200 lens is MORE than enough for 90% of the time.</p>

<p>4. There have been, in the last 5 years, 6-7 instances of bandits attacking tourist safaris. Nobody is ever hurt, but they do take everything! From cameras to new shoes! So, make sure you insure your stuff and, whenever possible, secure your filled cards before you set out on a drive.</p>

• 2 months later...

<p>Hello David,<br>

Sweet trip and hope you come back with tons of memories and shots of a lifetime! I would recommend you don't leave home without a 70-200mm f/2.8 lens for three reason: (1) the thick canopy and cover in the forest that makes for low light shooting conditions while trekking and tracking chimps and gorillas; (2) The relatively close proximity of your subjects compared to out on the plains and grasslands (hopefully as everyone knows there are no guarantees with animals); and (3) the rough terrain you will be traversing to reach your prized subjects, so a relatively light lens compared to a fast longer telephoto.<br>

Hope this helps,<br>

Have Fun, take lots of pictures</p>

<p>J. Paul</p>