Typical Velvia 100F push?

<p>I recently tried pushing a roll of velvia 100F 2 stops to ISO 400. This was the first time I ever pushed it that far; I normally go to 200 or use Provia 400 if I need the speed.<br>

The results when viewed on the lightbox were better than expected, however it was more difficult to scan than velvia 100F processed normally. I think it is better than Provia 400.<br>

How does it look to you?<br>

What do you use when you need ISO 400?</p>

<p> </p><div>00YaNL-349327584.jpg.775739bc2968fc567e6d97dfbc0520d7.jpg</div>

<p>Hi Nick,<br>

I would be interested in the responses to this thread as I too am looking at ISO400 slide films in 120. I have used an expired old emulsion roll of Provia 400 and didn't find it to my liking. However, am tempted to try out Provia 400X or alternatives.</p>

<p>The answer will be different according to the contrast of the subject matter. Pushing film increases contrast, and even at box speed the ability of Velvias to handle high brightness ratios isn't wonderful. Two stops for Velvia is a pretty big push, and will reduce the ability to handle contrast further. I'd expect to get much better results in duller, low contrast conditions where I really needed the faster shutter/ better dof than I'd expect in bright contrasty conditions where I'd expect blown highlights and /or black shadows. I'd rather use Provia 400 than push Velvia two stops. </p>

<p>Hi Nick,<br>

I push Velvia 100f quite often especially when I’m traveling overseas. But only 1 stop. According to RVP 100F datasheet this emulsion is optimized for 1 stop push only. Velvia 100F is a high contrast film and the pushing will increase the contrast even more. But I found it very useful in overcast conditions and that is what David mentioned as well. And honestly, I haven’t noticed any significant (if any!) grain increase. The grain looks finer than Ecktachrome E200. Regarding ISO 400 I think there’s nothing can beat the Provia 400X. IMHO this is the best slide film that Fuji ever made. I try to use 400X whenever possible. It also happily can be pushed up to 2 stop (yes, ISO 1600!). For samples and discussion about 400X follow this link: <a href="../film-and-processing-forum/00N3Pv?start=20">http://www.photo.net/film-and-processing-forum/00N3Pv?start=20</a><br>

If you still prefer pushing ISO 100 film to 2 stops I guess the Astia 100F and Provia 400F is much better choice. </p><div>00YafT-349489584.jpg.5721539d11597835ed770c610ea8fcab.jpg</div>

I think i should explain my reason for posting the above photo.

The photo I took above was not the reason I pushed the velvia 100f. It was at the end of a roll I loaded the day

before. I planned to photograph a pheasant in a mostly vacant Detroit neighborhood under cloudy skies. I made the

decision to push because I needed the speed and knew that the push would increase contrast. I only posted the

above photo because I was impressed at how the film handled the more difficult situation of the sunlit deer in front of

a shadowed background. I fully expected the shadows to go black but was impressed by the low grain in the under

exposed areas.

I don't plan to shoot this film at 400 in bright conditions in the future but now I know I can in a pinch.

I have not tried provia 400x yet but it sounds like I should get some. You guys seem to like it.