typical filters used?

Discussion in 'Nikon' started by james_mcgrane|1, Sep 17, 2009.

1. I inherited a ton of conkin filters, and I like them, they are fun. however, they are kind of a hassle to use. I was wondering what the typical filter set-up is? thanks, James

2. If its the sliding kind then Graduated ND filters (both hard and soft) 4stop and 6stop.

3. The typical setup depends a lot on what you want to achieve, and what type of photography you're into.
    For landscapes I use Cokin graduated ND (I've got only the soft graduated ones so far), and a circular polariser. Well, the CP gets used in a lot more scenarios.
    All the colour filters, effect filters etc... I prefer photoshop for that actually.

4. 4 stop and 6 stop?? oh my.... I find that 1 and 2 stop, occasionally combined for 2.5 stops, are sufficient for what I photograph. :)

5. With digital I never use filters anymore. All coloured filters for b&w can be handled in post, ND grads are obsolete with exposure blending, warm up filters are also obsolete since you can change white balance.
    Some people like polarizers and this cannot be accomplished in post.

6. If they are found in your set, a warming, polarizing, and skylight filter will be the most useful in color photography. Split ND filters of the sliding kind considerably improve your landscape photography. A yellow (#8), yellow green (#11), and orange (G) filters are the most basic types you will need in B&W work, if you are interested in that.
    I never use computers in simulating filtration of any kind. Keep it simple and concentrate on photography, not Computer Science.

7. 4 stop and 6 stop?? oh my.... I find that 1 and 2 stop, occasionally combined for 2.5 stops, are sufficient for what I photograph. :)
    True, but sometimes when you need to shoot under bright sun with a large aperture, since the lowest ISO on my D90 is 200 and the highest shutter speed is 1/4000, I was on the verge of overexposing my subject. I wish I had a ND filter with me. Furthermore, if you use D90 to shoot video, you want to keep the shutter speed to be around 1/50 to show more natural movement. A "darker" ND filter becomes essential for videography on sunny days.

8. Graduated ND filters are for controlling contrast (sky to foreground), ND filters have a different use completely since they cut light from the whole frame.
    Like Peter, when I shot film I used 1 and 2 stop grads - a needing a 4 stop grad (let alone 6) is very rare unless you want a really unnatural HDR-esque look.

9. what do you use them with/for? and what kind of filters exactly do you have?

10. I have Singh-Ray Graduated ND filters & polarizers as my main filters. They really help out in many situations. I do have some effects filters - but I have yet to use them. No post processing program I know of & have worked will do what a polarizer does & for those who're not into stitching photos & HDR - Graduated ND filters do come in handy. I only have so much time to post process my photos & If I can fix it in camera - - then I'd rather do so.
    But that's just my humble opinion.
    Lil :)