typical filters used?

james_mcgrane1

<p>The typical setup depends a lot on what you want to achieve, and what type of photography you're into.<br>

For landscapes I use Cokin graduated ND (I've got only the soft graduated ones so far), and a circular polariser. Well, the CP gets used in a lot more scenarios.</p>

<p>All the colour filters, effect filters etc... I prefer photoshop for that actually.</p>

<p>If they are found in your set, a warming, polarizing, and skylight filter will be the most useful in color photography. Split ND filters of the sliding kind considerably improve your landscape photography. A yellow (#8), yellow green (#11), and orange (G) filters are the most basic types you will need in B&W work, if you are interested in that.<br />I never use computers in simulating filtration of any kind. Keep it simple and concentrate on photography, not Computer Science.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>4 stop and 6 stop?? oh my.... I find that 1 and 2 stop, occasionally combined for 2.5 stops, are sufficient for what I photograph. :)</p>

</blockquote>

<p>True, but sometimes when you need to shoot under bright sun with a large aperture, since the lowest ISO on my D90 is 200 and the highest shutter speed is 1/4000, I was on the verge of overexposing my subject. I wish I had a ND filter with me. Furthermore, if you use D90 to shoot video, you want to keep the shutter speed to be around 1/50 to show more natural movement. A "darker" ND filter becomes essential for videography on sunny days.</p>

<p>Graduated ND filters are for controlling contrast (sky to foreground), ND filters have a different use completely since they cut light from the whole frame.</p>

<p>Like Peter, when I shot film I used 1 and 2 stop grads - a needing a 4 stop grad (let alone 6) is very rare unless you want a really unnatural HDR-esque look.</p>

<p>I have Singh-Ray Graduated ND filters & polarizers as my main filters. They really help out in many situations. I do have some effects filters - but I have yet to use them. No post processing program I know of & have worked will do what a polarizer does & for those who're not into stitching photos & HDR - Graduated ND filters do come in handy. I only have so much time to post process my photos & If I can fix it in camera - - then I'd rather do so.<br>

But that's just my humble opinion.<br>

Lil :-)</p>