around the net, trying to get info I get confused by all these

abbreviations, "L", "SSC", and "USM". Can someone out there please

help me understand these terms and which lenses I should start to

look for and price? The various lenses that I will be looking for

are: 28mm, a zoom in the 70-200 range, 300mm, and possibly a zoom in

the 28 �85 range.

Thanks,

Gary

USM refers only to EOS lenses, so that's not important for your system.

"L" refers to "Luxury" lenses. They usually have the best build quality and some advanced features like low-dispersion glass or aspheric elements which make it possible to design a longer, faster or closer focusing lens than the standard lens in the same focal length. They aren't always the sharpest lens of that focal length, but they can usually do something a little more than most lenses, and command a high price.

SSC means "Super Spectra Coating" and refers to lenses that are multicoated. Older FD lenses that were multicoated got this designation. All new FD lenses with the bayonet mount are SSC lenses with the exception of the 50mm/1.8, which was meant to be a budget priced lens and is only single coated, but is still a very sharp lens.Single coated lenses may have the designation "S.C.," for "Spectra Coating."

it's a great web site with all the info you can get about the different canon cameras and lenses.

about some abbreviations:

"S.C" stands for spectra coating- a type of technology that helps reduce flare and ghosting.

"S.S.C" stands for super spectra coting. you can guess by your self what that is...

"L" stands for luxury. lenses designated "L" are SUPOSED to have superior optical performace and top build quality. the fact is that not all "L" lenses are made equal- the 100-300/f5.6L didn't give me the impression of a lens that can withstand (somewhat) abusive treatment, for example.

also, the optical formula of "L" lenses has changed over the years, so a lens that was designated "L" 20 years ago might not stand to the standards of today's "L" lenses.

"USM" stand for ultrasonic motor- this is a type of auto focus motor not found in the canon lenses that you should be looking for, since the all canon cameras from that period (besides the T80) were manual focus cameras.

the type of lenses that might interest you are canon "FD", "NEW FD" and perhaps "FL" lenses. FD and new FD are very similar designs, but FL lenses are older and very differnt. I'm not sure but I think there might be some metering or aperture issues with those lenses.

"TS" stands for tilt-shift. these expansive and rare jewls are made for architecture and extreme depth of field control. I think there is only one TS lens in the FD line, but there are three TS lenses in the "EF" line. what's "EF"? I don't know. but EF lenses are auto focus ones, made for EOS cameras. what's "EOS"? Elctronic Optical System- that's canon auto focus line of products.

looking at the canon camera museum will give A LOT of more information.

just let me add this before I leave to my bed and dream of more abbrevations- I doubt if will be able to find exactly what you want. although there were canon FD 28mm, 80-200, 300mm and 28-85 made, these are old products now, and they might be difficult to be found. that's the reason I moved to EOS- I couldn't find the gear I wanted.

good luck hunting!

Gary,

I'll add another twenty cents' worth, with some duplication.

FD lenses were available in two broad categories. The earlier was the breechlock lenses with the silver mount ring, dating from about 1971 to 1981. During their production run, Canon made improvements, which included the anti-reflective coatings. "Spectra Coating" (SC) is a single coating, "Super Spectra Coating" (SSC) is multi-coated for better flare and ghost image control.

About 1981, Canon redesigned the mount and coined the term "New FD." The mounting principle remains the same, though now the entire lens barrel rotates in mounting. These are the black-mount lenses with a release button. Some optical designs changed, lenses were made generally smaller and lighter, and filter sizes typically changed too.

As David said, all New FD's are SSC except the 50/1.8. There is an ongoing debate about durability of the newer mount. My observation is that some New FD lenses are more fragile than others, largely dependent upon the use of plastic in the mount, or in securing mount to barrel. There are generalizations made about the breechlock lenses being "all metal" and the newer ones "plastic," but there are variations in each series. I had one of the "all-aluminum" breechlock lenses apart last week, to find considerable plastic inside. I've been in contact with two late FD zooms which literally broke in two. Both of these were all-plastic designs.

"L" lenses each include at least one high-tech trick, which improves performance--sometimes distortion, maybe sharpness, whatever--and which often allows a wider maximum aperture. They're quite expensive, but noticeably better, I think.

More abbreviations: FL lenses are the ancestors of FD. They will mount on FD cameras, but must be used in stop-down metering mode, because they don't tell the camera what their maximum aperture is, and they cannot work automatically with the camera to set an aperture value. The current EOS system is FD's descendant. EOS="Electro-Optical System." EF="Electro-Focus." Technically, EOS refers to the system, and EF to the lenses, but they're used interchangeably.

EOS and FD lenses are not compatible.

Some specifics about your desired focal lengths; I'll stick to New FD lenses, since that's where my experience is. There is a 28mm f/2.8 and an f/2.0. The 2.0 has less image distortion, especially at close shooting distances. It will probably cost you twice as much as the 2.8, maybe more. Perhaps $75-100 vs. $250-300.

The 70-210 f/4 zoom was really popular, and there are many available between $150-200. You could probably buy a dozen today. It's a good lens, but a mid-price model. There is an 80-200 f/4L that is clearly superior, harder to find, and seems to be running about $450 at the moment.

There is a 300mm f/5.6, an f/4, an f/4L, and an f/2.8L. I'd definitely spring for the f/4 over the 5.6 for the extra shutter speed you'll have, ease of focusing, and its tripod collar. The f/4's are declining in price a little, maybe $350-400 now. The "L" is better corrected, and looks almost identical to the standard lens. Figure $500-800. The 2.8L is big, white, and "outta sight."

One of the latest FD designs was the 28-85mm f/4. It's plastic. It's often broken at the mount, or has been repaired. Shop carefully! Mine was broken, but I got lucky in finding a shop that still had the part--the last one! It's as good as new now, though still fragile. It has a good optical reputation, though I've hardly used mine yet. Maybe $300-400.

The 35-105 f/3.5 is a favorite, well built, excellent quality. Don't confuse it with the later f/3.5-4.5 plastic "one touch" zoom, selling for about half of the straight f/3.5. $250-350.

With caution, you can have success on Ebay. And you don't have to pay the often exorbitant closing prices. Persistence and patience pay off. There are also many camera stores with websites now. In two years, on and off, I've collected FD lenses I never dreamed I'd see, including "rarities" like some of the "L" lenses, the 800mm, the 35mm tilt/shift, the 85mm soft focus. If I had unlimited income, I could easily have bought one of every FD lens ever manufactured.

Just a bit extra, you can find out more information about abbreviations at:

http://medfmt.8k.com/third/index.html

and don't forget you can still buy Manual Focus lenses from Tamron

more details and distributers at:

http://www.tamron.com/frame.htm

A word of caution however, only buy a lens because you NEED it, not because you think it might be nice to have one. Used at mid aperture settings most lenses are capable of producing excellent results.

Boggy