Type A or B

steve_pascal

All E-TTL or E-TTL II capable bodies are Type A. Bodies limited to TTL/A-TTL

are type B.

I think Canon has since given up on said terminology, probably because all EOS bodies have

been Type A for many years. It's unfortunate terminology. Type A/B terminology has gone the

way of the Creative Zone,

Basic Zone and Command Dial. I think the last type B body in production was the EOS 5/A2E/

A2, and it was

discontinued 6 years ago. The first Type A body was the Elan IIE, circa 1995.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

• 7 years later...

<p>Niothing to do with FD lenses or stuff like that. It is, as Ketil & Steve say all about compatibility with Canon Speedlite Flashguns:<br>

Canon divides its EOS cameras into <strong>3 main</strong> groups according to flash compatibity with Speedlites for A-TTL metering.<br>

In essence:<br>

TYPE B: The EOS film cameras used light reflected from the film during exposure for the flash A-TTL metering. These are called TYPE B and can be used with EZ flashguns in A-TTL mode and EX flashguns in TTL.<br>

TYPE A: These digital and film EOS cameras have two sets of sensors and can be used in E-TTL mode with EX or A-TTL with EZ speedlights.<br>

TYPPE AII: is a sub group of A and only has sensors in the viewfinder area. These cameras are: EOS 30V, 33V, 300X, 1D Mark II, 1D Mark II N, 1D Mark III, 1Ds Mark III, 5D, 5D Mark II, 20D, 20Da, 30D, 40D, 50D, 350D, 400D, 450D and 1000D. You get E-TTL metereing with EX flashguns.<br>

So that's it, it is all about whether you get A-TTL on EZ flashguns and E-TTL on EX flashguns. Put simply, you cannot measure light reflected off the photographic film is the camera does not have film.</p>

<p> </p>