TX vs TXP?

adrian_seward

TXP has very brilliant highlights and somewhat compressed shadow detail. I believe it was developed more for studio lighting and advertising shots where all the aspects of lighting are controlled. When used for landscape or general purposes I found it had a tendancy towards blown highlights and murky shadows but I didn't shoot very many rolls of the stuff so maybe someone else has some tips. I have a couple rolls of it left in 120 but I'm wary of ruining shots with it. Depending on what your intentions are there might be a better alternative.

I have no experience with TXP, but some with TX and reading film curves. From the published film curves for both films, TXP has a longer toe than TX, giving less contrast in the shadows.

It also has a more defined shoulder earlier in the logexp range, making highlight placement critical to avoid blocked up highlights.

This fits in neatly with the theory that TXP is targeted to studio shoots and/or large and medium format careful exposures, in situtaion where flare is controlled (hence no need to separate shadows early), and accurate exposure is a given.