TX/T-4 Adapter question

<p>I have just picked up a verry nicely preserved "Auto vivitar Telephoto" 400mm/6.3 in Minolta mount. The lens mount comes off with a twist of a knurled ring aty the rear of the lens barrel.</p>

<p>Is this a TX mount or a T-4 mount?<br>

Where may I get a mount to change this lens to either canon or Nikon DSLR?</p>

<p>Some help may be found here:<br>

<a href="http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-99.html">http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-99.html</a><br>

Used Nikon TX or T-4 mounts appear regularly on the well-known auction site. I am not certain, but perhaps new replacements may be available from suppliers in Hong Kong. Or you could try KEH. For Canon EOS, you'll lose auto diaphragm function anyway. Easiest route is to find an M42 (Pentax screwmount) T-4 and then a M42 to EOS adapter.</p>

<p>the t4 ada[ters work with older lenses. before pentax k and many auyo exposure cazmeras.<br>

the tx mounts will work wuith some newer models<br /> a tx lens can usually work as a t4 with the corect aspater.<br>

but not the other way around..<br>

For example a pantax K TX adapter will not let you properly use it qwith a t4 adapter.<br>

only on older model cameras<br>

as far as aftermarket adapters. allied impex ( soligior) soldf t4</p>

<p>but vivitar sold both t3 and tyhe newer tx.<br>

the adapter will as I typed previously, a BUMP on the side with O C and a tiny silver tonguie,.<br>

there will be a silver colored fork on the adapter.</p>

<p> remeber there eill eb twp sets of f/stop numberrs.<br>

If it is t4 opr tx either will fit a nikon. but there will eb some limitations on operation.<br>

the adapter will say t4 pr tx<br>

many tx adapters are more solis then t4 with a chrome finish.</p>

<p>the TWIST ring is sort of a breech loh and the lens will not wobble or feel loose.</p>

<p>if there are treads on the main lens body it is not t4 tx</p>

<p>I think Walter and I both answered something like this on another forum, but since it's useful information I will repeat it here.</p>

<p>With the Minolta mount, you can probably tell the difference by looking at the adapter. The old T4 Minolta adapter was rather simple, had no F numbers printed on it, and went on only one way.</p>

<p>The Minolta TX adapter has F numbers in several different colors, and its mounting is not immediately apparent. More things have to line up to get it right. The TX adapter I have for my lens is only an MC, not an MD, and there appears to be no functional advantage over the T4 in use. However, it looks as if it could be converted to MD, whereas the T4 cannot.</p>

<p>On my Vivitar 400/5.6 TX lens, the lens side is also complex, having several different prongs inside to mate with a variety of adapters. The T4 is simpler, although the mounting is similar. Both T4 and TX lenses have two sets of F stops on the lens's aperture ring, to allow operation with cameras whose aperture mechanism rotates either way.</p>

<p>As Walter notes, you can put a T4 adapter on a TX lens and it will work fine. But you cannot fit a TX adapter on a T4 lens.</p>

<p>A T4 Nikon adapter will be fully operational for a Pre-AI camera. It is not possible with this adapter to convert it to AI operation. However, because it does not protrude at the rear and has no moving aperture ring at the rear, the mount will safely clear an AI tab. You can mount it on an AI Nikon if the camera allows stop down metering or shooting without a meter. Aperture operation is automatic, you still get full aperture viewing, and on cameras such as the F3 or F4 you will get metering in aperture priority mode, as you do with any fixed aperture or preset lens, since the meter reads during exposure. </p>

<p>Unfortunately, I do not have a Nikon TX adapter, so I can't tell you whether it is AI compatible, but I suspect it is.</p>

<p>Thanks guys:</p>

<p>Your information is helpful. From what you say this seems to be a T-4 lens which makes sense, as it is the f/6.3 version not the later f/5.6 version. I will procede with that in mind.</p>

<p>Regards,</p>