Two-part question

john_hennessy4

<p>Here are two semi-unrelated questions, but I'm putting them together to save precious electrons. <br>

<br />1. Where is good place to buy parts for Canon gear. For instance, a screw and collar that hold on the big tilt knob on my 24mm t/s is missing.<br>

2. The shade on my 24-105 zoom is so loose it spins and vignettes or just falls off. Is there a way to tighten it or should should just take the answer to #1 and buy another one?<br>

Thanks.</p>

<p>For #2 (the 24-105 hood that falls off or twists), it would be critical to determine if the wear that makes it loose is on the lens, the hood, or both. If any part of it is the lens, you'll have to figure out some way to 'pad' the hood with epoxy or something so it won't slip.</p>

<p>Otherwise, Canon has the hood (EW-83H) for sale for about $60 right now ( <a href="http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/product-accessories/ef-lens-accessories/lens-hoods/lens-hood-ew-83h?utm_source=google&utm_medium=Product_Search&utm_campaign=Google_Product_Feed">link</a> ), but clones are available for as little as $3 post paid (BIN) on eBay.</p>

<p>I don't have a clone of this one, but I do of some other Canon hoods, and the clones seem indistinguishable in almost all regards - some even have Canon marks on them accompanied by Chinese characters that probably mean "bogus" or some such.</p>

Parts from Canon would be best, assuming they still have them.

As for the lens hood, see if you can try another of the same size. It doesn't need to be for a 24-105, you're just checking

fit. My 100-400 went to Canon for repair, and the hoods worked fine. When I got it back, the hoods - 3 ET-83Cs, and a

EW-83J (17-55 f/2.8) all spin freely, and don't lock on the EF 100-400, but they all fit snugly on the EF-S 17-55, and lock.

Canon changed a bunch of things, so it was something there that keeps them from locking.

Cheapest and easiest is a piece of black gaffer tape, until the next time it goes to Canon.

Next cheapest would be a replace,net from KEH. They sell original hoods far cheaper than Canon!