Two D80's, one has mirror lockup on menu, one does not...

steve_c.5

<p>A photographer friend shoots with two D80's. On the "wrench" menu of one, there are more selections than the other camera, including mirror lock-up for cleaning the sensor. The second camera has NO mirror lockup selection at all (it's not that it's grayed out, it is just missing). Both cameras have fully charged battery, both are set for the same mode/settings otherwise. Why would one be different? Is this a firmware update issue? She'd like to be able to clean the sensor on both of them.</p>

<p>For the D80 there are 3 choices for the CSM/Setup... Simple, Full and My Menu. Your friend needs to set her menu to "Full" to be able to display all options. She should also open one of her manuals to page 101 for details.</p>

<p>I guess I'm a little baffled at why they would even include such a menu selection, to either have a simplified menu or a full menu. Are they trying to dumb the camera down for the unwashed masses or something? Most DSLRs just have a full menu all the time.</p>

<p>The default setting is full. Someone changed it. So on the contrary, it's for the smarter people who would like the ability to customize.<br>

I use the Custom Setting where you can pick what is displayed. Things I don't change very often (ie. comment line) I remove so I don't have to scroll past it in the menu screens. Doesn't save a lot of time but it is easier finding stuff that way.</p>