Two bulk Rolls of B&W: Left in Hot car

<p>Do I need to throw these out?</p>

<p>I left one bulk loader including a roll installed, and a 2nd roll in a can (both 100ft of film) inside a camera case, in a car for a few days. The ambient temperature is around high 70s, low 80s, but inside the car (with all windows up) it can get a lot hotter.</p>

<p>So do you think this film to be reliable for paid work?</p>

<p>If it matters, the car was parked in Bend, Oregon last week. The brand is Arista Pro ISO 400 if it matters.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I'm not going to recommend you use the film for a paid assignment. I know I wouldn't risk it. However, I bet it's fine and you can shoot it for your own enjoyment.<br>

EDIT: Do you have enough time before the assignment to shoot a dozen frames or so and develop it to check the film out?</p>

<p>As Vincent says, the ONLY way you can tell if it was ruined is to use it. But even if it checks out, I, too, would <strong>never</strong> trust it for paid work. It might be only part of the roll that is bad, for example....</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I'd say excessive heat during shipping is my number one source of damage before I "destroy" it with some bad camera decisions. I would not throw out the whole rolls. Not by a long shot.</p>

<p>Usually when I receive heat damage in film or paper (most frequently paper), after you get two layers in from the exterior, it'll be okay. Sometimes when they come in, you can still feel the heat on the paper box; top and bottom two sheets fogged into unusable condition for sure. Each sheet of paper and film will have its own insulating properties; so, it's a toss up. If there's fogging along the edges, when I've seen that, it's usually only to a distance of a few millimeters, so, probably within the margin for the sprocket holes anyway.</p>

<p>I'd pull off a few feet and discard; then test strip it. Probably not totally ruined.</p>

Its probably fine but don't take a chance using it on a job. I've seen too many ruined jobs by photogs cutting corners. Its not worth it. Use it for those personal shots you've always wanted to shoot but never got around to. Then it will come out perfect.

• 2 weeks later...

<p>B&W stands up to these kind of issues soo much better than colour but I wouldn't risk it for paid work as others seem to agree. Our industry is flooded with folks who believe film is dead and there's no good reason for them to pay for us to shoot on it. Don't give them another reason!<br>

It's very likely that the damage is nominal as has been said, but it is too big a risk in my opinion. </p>