two bath developer with speed increase ??

Why do you want a two bath? If you insist, Paterson's FX50 gives the biggest speed increase I've ever seen: true ISO close to +1 stop (i.e. not 'pushed') for Ilford HP5 Plus = near enough ISO 800. But I'd stick with DDX or Microphen. Same speed; easier.

Cheers,

Roger (www.rogerandfrances.com -- recently revised)

You may want to try Tetenal Emofin. You'll get two useful stops or more with less grain than N with many developers. The neg will be low contrast. I don't know what you mean by "genuine," but this may be as close as you'll get.

Try Diafine. The manufacturer recommends an ISO of 1600 for Tri-X. I prefer 1200-1250. If there's a true speed increase it's probably in the neighborhood of 500-600. But the negatives don't look right exposed that way. So 1000-1600 works better with Diafine.

It's no more troublesome than a single bath developer. Just different. The usual factors of time, temperature and agitation are less critical with Diafine. You can be off a few minutes here or there, several degrees cooler or warmer, it won't matter. Agitation makes no difference in Part A - agitate normally, continuously, doesn't matter. Part B requires careful agitation, tho'.

Diafine produces unique looking negatives and isn't suitable for a wide range of films. It's best with Tri-X, altho' I also like it with Pan F+ (at 50) and Delta 3200 (at 1600). You don't always get a significant speed increase, but sometimes the results are very good in other ways. I think it's awful with T-Max films but some folks like it.

Microphen will produce more "normal" looking negatives and is excellent for pushing Tri-X and T-Max 400 to 1600. An Ilford rep reported that HP5+ yielded a genuine ISO of 500 in Microphen. That's a pretty significant speed increase, considering that most of the time we're taking great liberties with the concept.

• 2 weeks later...