Two 300D questions: zoom lens and Vivitar flash

Rob_L1664876404

Before anyone blasts me, I have searched and read extensively on the

topic of lenses for EOS digital bodies on Photo.net. On this matter,

I'm simply looking for some experience based feedback from some

seasoned users. The flash question is more technical.

After 35 years of 35mm (mostly Canon FD) and medium format

photography, I have acquired a Digital Rebel/300D - my first auto-

focus camera. Over the years, the lenses I have used the most on my A-

1 and T90 were the Canon 28mm f/2.8, Canon 50mm f/1.4, and Canon 35-

105 f/3.5 zoom. I also have an early Vivitar Series 1 70-210 f/2.8-

4.5 zoom that's razor sharp, but stays in the bag most of the time. I

scan 35mm negs on a Nikon LS-4000 and 2-1/4 negs on an Epson 2450.

I purchased the 15-55 EF-S kit lens with the 300D to use until I

fugured out what I really wanted and needed. My only other EF

purchases have been a 50mm f/1.8 for portrait work (with the 1.6 crop

factor it give me about an 80mm working focal length and very high

quality) and a 420 EX flash. Turns out the camera is seeing a lot of

use "on assignment" at our large church for people and group

photography in support of our web site and various newsletters and

publications. For this, the 15-55 kit lens has come in very handy. My

main complaints are that, as one would expect, the speed isn't what

I'm used to for available light work and, wide open, it's not as

sharp as I would like. I'm considering ignoring retirement for now

and getting a Canon 24-70 f/2.8L USM. I'm pretty sure that, if I

settled for anything less than a Canon L series, I wouldn't be happy

in the long run. However, my wife would be overjoyed if you could

convice me otherwise! The focal length range of the 24-70 (effective

38-112) seems to be well suited to the medium range work I'm doing

around the church and family type activities, and I don't know that

I'll have much use for longer lenses in the future. Your opinions on

this combination for these applications?

The flash question is much more cut-and-dried. Is the trigger voltage

issue too risky to try an older Vivitar 283 flash on the Digital

Rebel/300D (with the camera in manual mode, of course)?

Thanks in advance,

Rob

<p>You could consider the 24-85 f/3.5-4.5 USM, which gives you optics somewhere between the two other options (it's one of Canon's better consumer-grade zoom lenses) and speed somewhere between the other two as well. But if you're used to the kind of results you got from your old lenses, you'll probably find it's better to bite the bullet and get the 24-70. You can tell your wife to blame me if you like :-)</p>

<p>I can't give you a really good answer on the flash but I'm sure someone else can. My gut feeling is that I wouldn't risk trying it.</p>

Have you considered shooting ISO 400 or ISO 800 for low light applications?

The 24-85/3.5-4.5 or the 28-105/3.5-4.5 are too excellent choices. As the above poster mentioned, both are considered to be middle ground optically between the "el-cheapo" and "el-expenso" lens.

Of course, part of what you are paying for in the 24-70/2.8L is the extra stop. Only you can decide if that makes the length justifiable.

On another note: Have you considered primes? They are top notch optically AND fast. To complement the 50/1.8, I would consider the 24/2.8 and 35/2

Jim,

Your primes suggestion is a good one - and I have thought about it. However, three or four good primes would add up to about the same dollars and I'd be stuck with switching lenses - sometimes in a hurry. One thing I do like about primes is that the optical characteristics don't change with zooming (duh, since there's no zoom!).

Rob

I have the 300D with the Canon 24-85mm as an 'everyday' lens. I'm quite pleased with it. To complement it I also have a Canon 70-200 f/4 'L'. Both share the same filter size so it makes filter use a little easier, and there is a nice overlap in the zoom range. I use the 18-55 kit lens for wider angle shots.

In reference to your flash question, perhaps you can find the answer here:

http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html

I did a quick read and I don't think your Vivitar will work, unless it's one of the newer units.

Keep that 283 off of your camera until you get someone to measure the trigger voltage for you. The last thing you want is to burn out the hotshoe and possibly more of the camera on the off-chance that your 283 *might* be safe, especially if it's an older 283 and thus much more likely to have an insanely high trigger voltage.

If you can borrow a voltmeter, you can easily check the trigger voltage of the Vivitar flash.

As to the Vivitar flash working with your camera, (not withstanding the sync voltage problem) it will not work if it is TTL, even with your camera in manual mode. It will work if it has an auto thyristor mode and/or manual mode. With the flash in manual mode, you will need a flash meter or trial-and-error.

Buy a canon flash......

Having moved from manual minolta and vivtar flash to the EOS thing about 1.5 years

ago, the ETTL function of the flash and camera is amazing!

Check out the 420EX and higher units. I have a 420 with an Elan 7, and it's just FAB.

Can't directly comment on EOS digital and flash, but I would wager the results and

features are reasonably compairable.

FWIW

There are a lot of folks complaining about flash exposures with Canon's DSLRs and EX series flash units. I don't doubt that most of the time the problem is in not understanding how E-TTL metering works, and not understanding how Canon cameras bias the flash exposure to the active AF point. But since you are used to using the 283, you will probably not have any trouble getting good exposures with an auto flash unit. No sense in spending any more of God's money than you have to. :)

But unless the 283 is of recent vintage it's quite likely to fry your camera's flash circuit. You can get a Wein Safe-Sync for your hot shoe to fix the problem, but since the flash is an "older" one, you might be better off getting something newer anyway.

Now some advice that you didn't ask for...

The problem with getting Canon's 420EX (usually the obvious choice) is that neither the camera or flash has any real way to adjust flash exposure. Getting a 550EX is a better choice, but costs over $300. A Sigma EF-500 DG Super will also do E-TTL with Flash Exposure Compensation & all the other bells & whistles of the 550EX, for about $180. Unfortunatly, it's AF assist light only works for the center AF point.

WalMart sells a new type Vivtar 2000 for under $20 that should be fine, but that's a pretty cheap way to go with a $900 camera. I bought a Philips P36/P536 on Ebay for $5. Does every thing that the 283 does & more, and has a very low sync voltage. And yes, I'm also too cheap to buy a DSLR. :)

the 550EX is sold for $289.00 in MOST stores (B&H< Adorama, 17thStr.)

You bought into a SYSTEM, why diminish it with a product that won't work properly and/or NOT take full advantage of that system? Also, do a search and you will find users complaining about issues with the Sigma flash.

>> my wife would be overjoyed if you could convice me otherwise.

That's very common with wives worldwide. However, speaking for myself (and not as my wife's echo) I'd say go for it. If you need quality and if primes are not an option for you then go ahead and get the 24-70/2.8.

To please my wife I bought the 85/1.8 + 200/2.8 (BTW, lovely lenses) instead of the 70-200/2.8 IS but she doesn't remember that I saved hundreds of dollars. She only remembers what I spent. That ungrateful beach...

Happy shooting ,

Yakim.