Turning camera on & off. Do you do it all the times?

Alex

<p>I find my self usualy not turning my camera on and off since I like to have it ready at all times and a bit of lazyness as well. But it came to me that not doing that does not make the cleaning sensor do it's job so I'm making a effort to do the on and off to benefit from the feature.<br>

What are your thoughts about it?<br>

Regards,<br>

Alex</p>

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>this is interesting.... the on/off lever is right under my thumb, it takes 1/10 second to flip it.... there are times when I've left it on and let it time out, but the idea of leaving it on indefinitely has never crossed my mind for a moment, and I can't think of a reason to start now. maybe I'm a freak. I guess the bottom line is that it really doesn't matter, do what you're comfortable with.</p>

<p>I rarely turn it off. Only when using my battery grip. I've found that when leaving my camera (20D) on while having the battery grip attached (an eBay thing), the batteries are drained within two days (even while it's sitting on a shelve somewhere).</p>

<p>Also, sometimes autofocus and aperture control are lost when I'm using my extension tubes (ones with the electrical contacts connected). A power cycle will usually restore control of the lens.</p>

<p>I always leave it on then changing lenses or CF cards.</p>

<p>I turn mine off every time I change lenses, remove memory card, change battery, or add/remove flash unit. Otherwise once my camera is turned on for a shoot it stays on. I was told this years ago from a long time camera repair dealer and have never had (fortunately) a component breakdown.</p>

<p>My experience is that built-in sensor cleaning is only partially effective on dust, and not effective at all on fluid or grease-based deposits. I have Canon gear. Others may work differently, but the built-in cleaner on the 1Ds, 1D, and 7D don't do a whole lot for me. To clean I use firstly the air blow, and secondly the Arctic Butterfly, then a very gentle cotton swab clean. As a last resort I take it to a pro shop. The pro shops advise me to just turn it off, and not because it means more business for them - they've helped me with my own cleaning technique. So for me I just save the electronic pulses and keep the sensor clean setting to off. <br>

I keep the camera on all the time until the day's shoot is over, except when changing lenses or cards, and every once in a while leave it on during lens change due to time constraints. Never had any issues.</p>

<p>This topic got me curious so I talked with Canon tech support. Their response was that it was best to turn off the camera every time you add or remove a component as the on/off switch is very rugged. They said the camera (I was just referring to the 1D series so this may/may not apply to all bodies) is not in any harm when changing lenses or memory card). They mentioned that sometimes the camera can lock up if while in the process of changing a lens you also hit the DOF or shutter button. No damage occurs but temporary electronic insanity occurs (remove battery to reset). Their only recommendation was that the camera should be turned off when changing flash units as damage can occur since a signal is always present at the bodies' flash shoe contacts.</p>