Tuolumne Meadows

Discussion in 'Nature' started by hugh_sakols, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Hi,
    I have been lurking on this forum since 2000. I am thankful for all the help I got making the transition from 35mm to medium format, and eventually to digital capture. In the early days I was quite impressed with the help I got learning the digital work flow. There are some genuinely kind folks on this site.
    I now have a post about living in Tuolumne Meadows on David Hyde's Landscape Photography Blogger Site.
    http://landscapephotographyblogger.com/guest-posts/tuolumne-meadows-parsons-lodge-caretakers-hugh-sakols-and-mara-dale/

2. Enjoyed reading your blog, and the wonderful photo of the lake reflection. Was there in 2009 and would love to return.

3. Nice article. (I was struck by the similarity between your lenticular cloud shot and one that I made a year earlier.)
    Jealous of you for getting to live in T-Meadow,
    Dan

4. Nice one Dan. I know you have spent some quality time in Yosemite's high country. Now if we can just get Mike Osborn to post some of his work.

5. Hugh, yes! I assume you have spent enough time with Mike to know him a bit. Mike is a real treasure, and he knows the park like almost no one else. However, he doesn't seem interested in "being online" all that much.
    I can't speak for him, but I do know that he has concerns about over-advertising some of the beautiful areas of the park and elsewhere. I learned this during one trip to the area when I joined him and Charlie Cramer and Karl Kroeber for a couple days. One afternoon they were considering where to shoot that evening and I figured out that there was some conversation going on that I wasn't part of. Turns out that Mike was concerned that I had been a bit too specific and prolific in my descriptions of certain areas in my writing at my blog, and he was uneasy about having me accompany them to a certain place that isn't well known but which could be messed up badly by too many visitors.
    I'll make a long story short and just say that in the end I decided to reevaluate some of my writing (and withdraw some of it) after I thought more about our conversation, and also reconsider how I title and describe some of my photographs based on this conversation with Mike. (This is a boundary I still struggle with, and Karl recently took me to task for overly specific descriptions of some spots in Death Valley!)
    Since that time I have had the very good fortune to join Mike and the gang in the Yosemite back county for photography on a few occasions, and I really value Mikes vision, his vast experience in the Yosemite back country, and his attitude toward the landscape.
    Dan