Tuolumne Meadows

hugh_sakols

<p>Hi,<br>

I have been lurking on this forum since 2000. I am thankful for all the help I got making the transition from 35mm to medium format, and eventually to digital capture. In the early days I was quite impressed with the help I got learning the digital work flow. There are some genuinely kind folks on this site. <br>

I now have a post about living in Tuolumne Meadows on David Hyde's Landscape Photography Blogger Site. </p>

<p>http://landscapephotographyblogger.com/guest-posts/tuolumne-meadows-parsons-lodge-caretakers-hugh-sakols-and-mara-dale/</p>

<p>Hugh, yes! I assume you have spent enough time with Mike to know him a bit. Mike is a real treasure, and he knows the park like almost no one else. However, he doesn't seem interested in "being online" all that much.</p>

<p>I can't speak for him, but I do know that he has concerns about over-advertising some of the beautiful areas of the park and elsewhere. I learned this during one trip to the area when I joined him and Charlie Cramer and Karl Kroeber for a couple days. One afternoon they were considering where to shoot that evening and I figured out that there was some conversation going on that I wasn't part of. Turns out that Mike was concerned that I had been a bit too specific and prolific in my descriptions of certain areas in my writing at my blog, and he was uneasy about having me accompany them to a certain place that isn't well known but which could be messed up badly by too many visitors.</p>

<p>I'll make a long story short and just say that in the end I decided to reevaluate some of my writing (and withdraw some of it) after I thought more about our conversation, and also reconsider how I title and describe some of my photographs based on this conversation with Mike. (This is a boundary I still struggle with, and Karl recently took me to task for overly specific descriptions of some spots in Death Valley!)</p>

<p>Since that time I have had the very good fortune to join Mike and the gang in the Yosemite back county for photography on a few occasions, and I really value Mikes vision, his vast experience in the Yosemite back country, and his attitude toward the landscape.</p>

<p>Dan</p>