Tuolumne Meadow/Yosemite

the lone ranger

I drove as far as Olmstead Point two weeks ago and it is quite snow free. If you are hiking up from the meadows you will definately hit patches of snow but it is nothing compared to years past. Have an excellent time. The cloud formations over the high country have been spectacular all week long - at least from what I can see from El Portal and Yosemite Valley.

I was there the past week. No snow in Tuolumne Meadow, but patches of snow by the

road on the north facing slopes. About three feet of snow (but melting fast) on top of

Dana Meadow right near Tioga Pass (near the Park's east entrance) at around 9,900 ft

elevation.

Tuolumne Meadow still hasn't "greened up" yet. It's still not quite spring for this sub-

alpine meadow but still quite scenic. One nice thing so far � there are very few active

mosquitoes in Yosemite so far. :-) That's soon to change down in Yosemite Valley, but up

in the high country, it should stay relatively mosquito free for at least the next two weeks

(unless a major heat spell starts up).

No services (food, gas, lodging, camping) were available on Tioga Road yet (except outside

of the park in the Inyo National Forest). Temperature wise around Tioga Road expect

highs in the 50's and the very low 60's; expect lows in the 20's and 30's.

I was in Toulumne Meadows last week, the road is open and in great shape, there is very little snow in the Meadows, and into Lyell Canyon. The John Muir Trail into Lyell Canyon is pretty soggy in spots. Up near Ireland Lake though there was extensive snow cover, so much that the trail was non existent.

Good Luck - Tim