TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II - Looks good so far...

<p>Here's a dizzy, large, slow loading, test image with the new 24TSE II. Taken at f/11 with 10mm of vertical shift in landscape orientation, the upper right corner corresponds to the edge of a 58mm image circle (if memory serves, Canon claims 60mm). Looks real nice. Really nice. Flipping amazingly nice. The lack of CA is wonderful.<br>

<a href="http://www.pbase.com/davidjl/image/114185905/original">http://www.pbase.com/davidjl/image/114185905/original</a><br>

The lens is heavy, expensive, and requires 82mm filters, so it isn't for everyone.</p>

<p>David, thank you very much for posting that (both seriously and sarcastically). The image quality is absolutely amazing. After such a long waiting period, I had finally convinced myself I don't need it, but after seeing your picture, I ordered it right away. Simply amazing!</p>

<p>Impressive indeed.<br>

One of the biggest problems with its predecessor was that DPP was unable to correct images for distortion/CA/vignetting as the neccessary data wasn't available. Instead you had to tediously correct them manually.<br>

I'm wondering whether the new TS-E lenses register their tilt-/shift settings in the file, so that images can now be automatically corrected in DPP.<br>

Does anyone know?</p>

<p>I'm pretty sure they don't register the settings: the mechanisms seem to be purely mechanical. You'd need four numbers: rotation of the lens on the mount, relative rotation of the shift and tilt axes, shift, and tilt.</p>

<p>One bit of trivia here: the old 24TSE had a hard stop at infinity, with the center of the infinity mark aligning with the zero-DoF point on the DoF scale (like most medium format manual focus lenses). The new 24TSE has the same focus beyond infinity bit that the Canon AF lenses do, and you need to recheck focus with live view every time you change anything.</p>