Trying to find my partner a rangefinder

carlin_plumb

Hey everyone!

I'm hunting for a great christmas present for my partner. She wants a point and shoot camera, but I know she appreciates manual controls a lot. She comes from a dslr background and has a film konica that is permanently aperture priority. My thinking brings me to rangefinder cameras. Is there a good (reasonably inexpensive) rangefinder with full manual controls as well as some sort of automatic function for when shes feeling lazy? Let me know your thoughts!

Just a suggestion from a non-technical point of view, buy her what she wants. Most P&S cameras can be operated in manual mode. Unfortunately they often revert to auto mode when you cycle the power. If she is frustrated by the inconvenience, it might be time to shop for something else.

The cost of film and processing is approaching $20 a roll. That takes most o the un out of it.

Don't buy her a rangefinder unless she tells you she wants one! That's like her asking for a new car and you instead buy her an oxcart. Novel, but not what she wants. Like anything, properly selecting a rangefinder camera requires some thought. Outside of point & shoots, most (inexpensive) rangefinder cameras sold these days are in used condition, and may be in need of some tlc to bring them back to optimal working condition. Expensive ones can be bought new quite easily. Few inexpensive ones have any automation, especially if they are film based rather than digital. But if you persist, one of the biggest decisions will be determining whether to buy one with a fixed focal length lens or interchangeable lenses (rangefinder bodies typically don't have zoom lenses for obvious reasons). Few have built in diopter adjustments. Many, if using auxiliary or interchangeable lenses, also require the purchase of separate viewfinders. Some don't have rangefinders, but rely on rather inexact focusing distance scales (like portrait, landscape). Are you starting to get the picture? Of course then there are other features to consider - self timers or not, external flash or not, built in meters or attachable coupled meters or handheld meters, or she learns the sunny 16 exposure rules.and on and on. Just get her what she wants...and maybe someday she will really want a rangefinder body and have some idea of what criteria are important to her in her selection. If you persist, however, do a compromise - go to a charity shop or Ebay and find a good used 1980-90s Canon Sure Shot aka mega zoom (tons of them out there) - the film version of a modern digital point & shoot, which will cost all of about $10, have automation, flash, zoom lens and take razor sharp photos.

It's not clear to me if you are looking for an actual rangefinder camera (one which is focused manually using a rangefinder) or one that resembles one in use. If she wants a point--and-shoot camera, you could get her one of the larger-sensor models that have received good reviews. If she wants a largish, capable sensor in a tiny camera, the Sony RX100, versions III, IV, or V, are all available new and offer three different price points and levels of performance. I'm partial to the Panasonic LX100, larger, but with a larger sensor than the Sonys, and superb controls. For a fixed lens, single-focal-length digital camera which functions like rangefinder, with excellent controls and the next step up in sensor size, look into one of the later Fuji X100 models. Make sure to shop somewhere that will allow a refund or exchange if you get the wrong thing.

Are you looking for a film camera, or digital?

No inexpensive solutions for a Digital camera with a traditional Rangefinder.

The Fuju X100 series, the X-100F being the newest?, has an optical viewfinder with digital overlay, AF focus with manual over-ride, auto-exposure with override. Around ~$1000.

For film cameras- look for a mint/CLA'd Canonet QL17GIII.

There are cameras like the above mentioned QL17GIII that have non-removable lens, and are fine rangefinder cameras.

(Do watch out, some people call any non-SLR a rangefinder.)

I recommend that Canon P

Canon: Canon P chrome Price Guide: estimate a camera value

they are available used (from the early 1960's) for very reasonable prices.

Also, they most often still work without extra work. (Not always, but usually.)

Real automatic exposure cameras didn't appear until the early SLR years.

At that point, most development of better cameras went to SLRs.

Simpler, non-interchangable lens, cameras continued to be made for some years as rangefinders,

though many use zone focusing or even fixed focus.

Leica rangefinders tend to be overpriced. For cheaper ones, you can go for Zorki or FED.

But the Canon rangefinders are a good choice in build quality and price.

-- glen

I replaced my Leica film equipment with the very fine mirrorless Sony A6000. There were several compelling reasons I got rid of my Leica equipment that had been a long term companion of mine; my eyes weren't focussing the rangefinder as well as they had for the last forty years, the price of a new Leica digital camera in retirement was not something I wanted to prioritize, I sold the Leica cameras and lenses M6, M2, M3 and lenses 21mm to 135mm and gave my wife a good down payment on her new Volvo XC 70. The Sony A6000 with in my case the excellent Sony 35mm 1.8 lens produces very good image when used with a little technique. I recommend getting your partner the A6000 with the 16-50mm lens which is a good bargain right now, small and rangefinder like it can be used as manually or automatically as you choose. Look through the recent additions to my portfolio for pictures made with this little camera. I'm amazed at the quality of the images it produces.

Hey everyone!

I'm hunting for a great christmas present for my partner. She wants a point and shoot camera, but I know she appreciates manual controls a lot. She comes from a dslr background and has a film konica that is permanently aperture priority. My thinking brings me to rangefinder cameras. Is there a good (reasonably inexpensive) rangefinder with full manual controls as well as some sort of automatic function for when shes feeling lazy? Let me know your thoughts!

First, I suggest that you determine how much automation, rather than photographer control, your partner truly seeks.

Should the requirement be for a fully manual rangefinder with all exposure decisions be made by the photographer (as all the world did not all that long ago) I strongly suggest a Canon P with a (clean) Canon/Serenar 50mm/f1.8 AND!! a decent lightmeter, My preference is a Lunapro Digital (takes a readily available battery). Film and processing cost might not be so important if one avoids "spray and pray" and actually reflect on/selects the appropriate exposure.

Edited by wendell_kelly

Should the requirement be for a fully manual rangefinder with all exposure decisions be made by the photographer (as all the world did not all that long ago)

(snip)

Yes, but ...

In the early rangefinder days, we would use the exposure meter, then set the appropriate camera settings.

One could do this mindlessly, with the same result as automatic, though it takes a little longer.

(Not so good for fast action with varying light.)

Manual does give you at least a chance to think about the exposure and change it.

The first camera that I bought (as in not inherited or borrowed) is (I still have) a Nikon FM,

just after the FE came out.

The idea of a manual camera, as I was used to already, seemed right to me.

Manual gives you just enough chance to think about the exposure, and change it.

Maybe the background is bright, so you know that it needs a little more exposure.

With DSLRs, though, I most often keep it on P. But there are times that I know

better than the meter, and use M.

Yes, I second the Canon P. There is a (shutter speed) coupled light meter, but they tend age

much worse than the Canon P itself. I won't make a lens suggestion, though.

-- glen

I strongly suggest a Canon P with a (clean) Canon/Serenar 50mm/f1.8" Wendell K. & " I second the Canon P" Glen H.

I triple that recommendation !

cost of film and processing is approaching $20 a roll. That takes most of the fun out of it." Ed I.

On this I strongly disagree.

The Darkroom.com <<< click For $11 plus $4 for enhanced scans, plus beautiful included 4x6 glossy prints, and

add a minor amount for shipping (Both ways included!).

And in less than a week, you've got a CD, prints, negatives, proof-sheet and even on-line scans before the package reaches you !

Its "fun" when the package arrives; and its "fun" when you don't have to spend the time to print out pictures on your printer with

your own ink & photo paper, and then trim them !

Finally, I have RAW negatives that will last !

No stupid Hard or Flash Drive failures. No software concerns 10 years from now etc.etc...

The Canon P is a great bargain these days and can use virtually any Leica Screw Mount lenses, making it quite versatile. Size wise it is about the size of a Leica M2 or M3, rather than the somewhat smaller earlier Leicas. I typically use a Canon 50/1.9 Serenar on mine and the images are very similar those produced using early Leica Summicrons.