Trouble with new lens (80-200/4L)

jean_moxhet

Recently I found my first L lens. It's a beautifull 80-200mm f/4.0 L and I'm just testing it... and trouble :-(

The apperture seams stuck open :-(

The only visible problem (except the fact that the apperture stays full open when shooting independently of the

setting) is while lens removed from body, the second lever (see on pics, it's not the aperture lever) is not on

normal "rest" position.

OK, I can return the lens to former owner but if a simple solution exist, I'll take it.<div>00QU4c-63721784.JPG.695011bf3d7a72ba951324472a03b037.JPG</div>

Jean,. The EF does indeed have the common Canon FD/FDn lens aperture control that enables normal through-the-lens viewing with the aperture fully open. Only when the shutter is fired the camera will make the lens stop down to the aperture selected on the lens (or selected by the EF camera if the lens is set in the 'A' mode).

Check the lens fitted on the camera; set the aperture to f/22 for example, aim the camera at a light source and look through the camera via the open film door. And trip the shutter. You can also push the stop down button on the side of your AE-1. If it works ok it's easy to see the aperture closing down.

I made all these checks.

The lens mounted on my EF, FTbN or one of my AE-1. On both it's the same, no closing of the aperture in manual

or AE (with the EF or AE-1 only off course) mode. Tests made on speed "B" and looking through the open film door.

When compared vs my other lenses (24/2.8, 35/2.8, some 50/1.8 and 1.4, 85/1.8) the only difference I can see it's

the second lever not resting on normal position...

A few years ago I had a lens (a 50/1.4 SSC) that acted like this. The cause was oil on the iris diaphragm. It was

easily cleaned, and if I remember correctly the cost of servicing was about $50. (That repairer was very inexpensive,

so $100 might be a more realistic estimate.)

I suspect that's the problem, but there would be other causes for a disengaged diaphragm, and I can't guarantee I'm

correct. By the way-- nice lens, nice camera.

Jean, the aperture signal lever on my FD 80-200L lens is in exactly the same position as on your lens when it is not mounted. As with all Canon FD bodies, the EF has full aperture metering which means the aperture remains open while you take a meter reading. When the lens is mounted on your EF, the only time the aperture will close is when you take a picture or if you stop the lens down manually by pushing the lever on the front of the camera toward the lens.

If you haven't already, try this test. Mount the lens on your EF and set the aperture to, say, f/22. Then push the stop down lever on the front of your camera toward the lens. Does the aperture close down? If it does, your lens is fine. If it doesn't, you may have an oily diaphragm.

I suspect that your lens is fine.

Ok once this gets closer to being resolved I'm going to do some editing to clear up a bunch of inaccuracies.

FOR NOW Jean follow Gordon Yee's suggestions. His is your best answer so far.

Your levers both of them are sitting exactly in the same position that mine are on my 80-200mm f4.0L nFD

here is a lightened version of your photo to make it much easier to see.<div>00QUK5-63811684.jpg.aeb30d710f2893afd1dc30162c80b907.jpg</div>

If the aperture is in fact not adjusting then it is likely that one or both of the internal springs have come loose at one end and this is a reasonably easy fix. Hopefully it is not oil on the aperture.

If it does not work I recommend returning it since a CLR would likely be about $100. These lenses are not all that rare and relatively inexpensive so easy to replace.