Trouble shooting light leak Nikon F3

howdy,

I’m about to go on a trip to thailand at the beginning of May. I was planning on bringing my Nikon F3, but for the last 5 or 6 rolls of film I’ve been getting a light leak that in my opinion ruins the shot. I don’t think it’s the stylistic kind. It’s cknsistantly in the same place on each photograph, about the same size and shape. I will include some photos of it. Does anyone have any ideas what might cause this type of leak?

A379AD63-0A5A-4F15-B8BE-4D1EC5E64F01.thumb.jpeg.5d7f76c52da0c78fd8519a7c0f1fec36.jpeg 34AD24D6-BB63-4571-A8C9-CE56061864FA.thumb.jpeg.6098e98fcf7913c3b7331869dd69277a.jpeg C1176D31-497A-4AF9-8261-AB5F016F21FA.thumb.jpeg.69998e13cfae67669676d703b7478d0f.jpeg D8970EAE-685C-4DEA-B3E8-51503E35BE1A.thumb.jpeg.adbf32916f46a13c3343b19c0cbffbcb.jpeg

Procure a tiny key chain LED flashlight. You need one that stays on as opposed to one that must be continually pressed. Place the illuminated flashlight inside the body of the camera. Retire to a dark room, with a chair. Sit in the dark for 15 or 20 minutes to allow time for your eyes to dark adapt. Now examine the camera from all angles. If the camera lets light in, it will leak out light also. Best of luck.
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Putting a light inside the camera will reveal nothing if the shutter is closed and the mirror down! Light will simply beam out of the viewfinder.

Even with the shutter open, the pressure plate will prevent light reaching the film chamber. If the leak occurs outside of the frame area, still nothing will show.

Diagnosing light leaks in an SLR is problematic without physical access to the camera, or a set of rigidly controlled test exposures. It could be any of the causes already suggested, but a close examination of the shutter and light seals - including those around the mirror - should give a clue to the source.

Replacing foam seals can be a messy and delicate operation. It might be easier just to buy a 'new' Nikon camera body.

Edited by rodeo_joe|1

• 5 months later...

That looks like a pinhole. More light at the center of the leak, less at the edge.

Nikon F3 (according to the manual) has a mirror lock up. Lock mirror up, remove lens, darken room, nice LED light in front, check that shutter curtain in back. Repairs, if that is the problem, Google it. There are a number of suggestions.