I was considering the Gitzo2220, but no retailers in my area sell

them, so I was hoping someone could give me their first hand, or

second, opinion of it. I really like the idea of its versatility,

but the photos of it supporting in areas I wouldn't be able to stand

make me weary. Just wondering what the real deal is with it. Also

I am looking at the Bogen Delux 3047-3 w/ quick release, which I

have seen and like, but if you have any comments on that, they would

be appreciated as well.

It is one of the most versatile tripods you can buy and that makes it an excellent choice. Its design makes it very appropriate for macro photography as well as for traditional uses. The only negative (for me)is that when you lock each leg by pushing the lever on that leg, there is a noticeable clicking sound. This is distracting when the tripod is used in sound sensitive applications like nature photography. The metal version costs about $200. The CF version is lot more. I prefer the metal version in that is does not weigh that much more than the CF and costs a lot less. See the NatureScapes link below for more info and discussion.

http://www.naturescapes.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=14113

Joe Smith

I've been intrigued by the 2220 myself until I handled one. You're right it is versatile, but

there are things about it I can't get past.

It's heavy. For it's capacity it's a bit of a tank.

It's bulky. The offset post and it's associated hardware make this tripod extra bulky.

The legs don't positively locate at fixed positions (no stops). This bugs me as you are

forced to "think" about the tripod instead of the photographic task at hand. It also makes

it slower to handle.

My advice? Save yourself $100. and a couple of lbs. and buy a Bogen/Manfrotto 3001 Pro.

instead.

I think tripods are something you have to try. I bought a Gitzo before I had ever tried to use one, and found that I intensely dislike twist locks on the legs. I sold it and bought a couple of Linhof tripods (now discontinued, unfortunately), that used flip locks on the legs and were better built than the Gitzos, not that the Gitzos aren't built to withstand a lot more usage than they get. It was the ergonomic thing that got me, and it's hard to understand that from a review.

I agree with you Jeff about trying them for yourself.

I have one of the little Gitzos (1026) that I bought for very light travel. I don't like their

twist locks much either especially in this small size as the surface area is tiny on the

smallest diameter leg and the lock never seems to get much of a grip on it. Granted, in the

larger Gitzos this isn't much of a problem, but the routine of unlocking and locking are the

same and requires a special order for each.

Other than the more streamlined aspect of twist locks, I prefer using either of my

Manfrottos that have wing locks and cam levers respectively. The Manfrotto locks can also

be locked or unlocked all at once, making it very quick to set up.

While I'm on a roll... the stops for the leg angles on Gitzos look like they were design by

Fred Flinstone. Manfrottos design for these IMO is much better.

And... the center post lock on the Gitzos being placed above the hub for the legs make all

their tripods an inch or better longer (when folded) than they otherwise need to be. Again,

look at Manfrottos design- it's a better idea.

Gitzos certainly have their supporters and I don't want to pick a fight with them as (Jeff

said) it's very much a matter of personal preference. BTW, I would love to have either the

1128 or 1228 carbon Gitzo. They are very nicely made, light, and stable. In the standard

aluminum types and of the larger sizes I think there are some very good alternatives

however.

A Gitzo rewards regular and methodical use. If you're using one frequently it becomes second nature to tighten and loosen them in the same order (largest diameter to smallest) and apply the correct amount of torque to securely lock them or to just "nip" them tight for transport. The benefit of Gitzo is reliable rigidity, the downside is the learning curve. If you want instant gratification straight from the box go for Bogen/Manfrotto:-).

Incidentally, I was surprised by the comment that Linhof don't make the "cammed" style tripods anymore, at least here in Europe they're widely available.