Tripod legs 3 vs. 4 section?

tom_milton2

<p>I'm buying a new tripod that has twist lock legs. Previously I've always had tripods with lever lock legs, like the Bogen 3221. I'm looking at two very similar tripods, one with 3 section legs and the other with 4 section legs.</p>

<p>I really like that the tripod with 4 leg sections folds into a more compact length. What I'm not sure of is how much of a bother it will be dealing with the extra leg section as far as time required to set up and take down.</p>

<p>There are a lot of tradeoffs with tripods. Is the extra leg section something to put weight on, or a non issue?</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I really like that the tripod with 4 leg sections folds into a more compact length. What I'm not sure of is how much of a bother it will be dealing with the extra leg section as far as time required to set up and take down.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>How do you use you tripod?<br>

I tend to carry mine around fully extended, so I'm not completely collapsing and extending it very often during a period of photography.<br>

I bought three-section legs, I would choose four next time. The savings in weight and collapsed size are attractive -- as is the ability to have a shorter tripod when I decide to leave one section locked in the out position at precisely my prefered height when the rest are fully extended.</p>

<blockquote>

<p> </p>

</blockquote>

<p>I have a couple of Gitzo tripods with 3 and 4 leg sections respectively. Both are about the same height (58"), which is too tall for comfort much of the time. With the 3 section tripod, I have to extend the middle section only part way, but extending the lower two sections of the 4 section tripod is just right. It takes longer to get the 3 section tripod even.</p>

<p>If the tripod has non-rotating legs, the effort to tighten three more collars is minimal. With a Gitzo, the stiffness is about the same, due to tight tolerances and design. Since the 4-section tripod is less than 24" when collapsed, it fits easily into a suitcase for air travel (the 3 section is 27" long, and must be partly disassembled). For me, that's the deciding issue.</p>

<p>All else being equal, a 4 section tripod is a little heavier.</p>

<p>Tom, you got it right. This is all about tradeoffs. Three sections vs four....... Aluminum vs basalt vs carbon fiber........ Twist lock vs lever locks.......... Gitzo vs whatever.......</p>

<p>I prefer three sections because it is less to open and the bottom section is stronger. That tripod has twist locks. I also have a four-section with levers and like that one, too. Really, this comes down to personal preference.</p>

<p>Some folks claim that 3-sections are more stable than 4-sections. Myself, I think a Gitzo GT-3541S is just as stable as a Gitzo GT-3531S.</p>

<p>A 4-section will usually collapse to a shorter length, which can be an advantage for packing.</p>

<p>A 4-section sometimes extends taller than a 3-section, but not always.</p>

<p>A 3-section always has one less place to fuss with on each leg.</p>

<p>Another vote for "it's a non-issue". I have both a three-section and a four-section, both with lever locks, and when I'm out with one vs the other I don't even notice the three extra locks: I'm so engrossed in working the scene that the mechanics become background noise.</p>

<p>Hello, well, I have a gitzo 1505 (four section) that has a couple of scribed lines around the bottom section (for a quick reference). I like to set the bottom legs to where I usually have them and lock them down. After that, set up is the same as for a 3-section, but with the bonus of compactness when you're done.</p>

<p> Dan</p>

<p>"With the 3 section tripod, I have to extend the middle section only part way, but extending the lower two sections of the 4 section tripod is just right. It takes longer to get the 3 section tripod even."<br>

That's what I meant but couldn't say effectively!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>My experiences with a four-section tripod have been very positive. I had a need for an extra tall tripod for a particular type of recurring assignment and chose a Gitzo 3540XLS. With all sections extended its very tall -- I need a stepstool to work at that height. With just three sections extended, its comparable to my old Bogen 3021 -- a comfortable working height. My answer to critics of a four-section is: you don't have to extend all sections all of the time, but when you need the height, you can't get it if you don't have it!</p>

<p>I prefer 3 section. I carry mine in a tripod bag, with a tripod strap, or in the tripod holder on a backpack. No problems.</p>

<p>4 section are nice for airplane overheads, so if you fly alot, this might be the way to go.</p>