Tripod for Digital Video Camera?

antilaputa

Thomas,

I just got a tripod and head to do double-duty for my still camera and for the MiniDV video camera (which I have yet to buy.)

I went with Bogen/Manfrotto 3221 legs and the Manfrotto 3160 Fluid Head. This is a solid set-up at a reasonable price and reasonable weight. It extends easily to my standing eye-level.

For my still camera, I also got a Manfrotto 3229 head. This is designed to be a monopod head, but at the suggestion of a photo.net user, I'll use it on top of the 3160 Fluid Head to give me the option of tilting the still camera for vertical framing. The 3160 does not tilt for vertical framing since it is sold as a video head.

If this 3229 head is important to you for any reason, please not in advance that the threaded bolt coming up from a standard quick-release plate in the 3160 head is not large enough. You'll have to order the quick-release plate with the larger size threaded post. I did not notice this until my order arrived and I attempted to put it all together.

Note that I ordered 3021 model legs from B&H, but I received 3221 model. I'm not sure what the difference is. Maybe the 3221 indicates that it's the black anodized metal, which is what I ordered.

I use a variation of the above answer; a Manfrotto tripod, with the joystick head (which allows me to level off for panning) on top of which I then use the Manfrotto fluid head (surprisingly good for the money). I use this combo for both DVC and Super 8 -- and have broadcast the results from both. If having a level horizon is not that vital, then, the Manfrotto/Bogen fluid head would be fine!

• 3 weeks later...

I bought a Bogen/Manfrotto 3221/501 fluid head (I'm not sure which of those numbers is Bogen and which Manfrotto) and 3221 legs. The combination is quite usable, though I suppose that a ton of extra cash would get something even more so.

Tripod leveling is an important part of using a video camera, especially if you want to pan. The 501 head has a built-in bubble level that makes this relatively easy. The trick is to figure out which leg the bubble is closest to, and shorten that leg until it's closer to some other leg. Repeat until level. With a small amount of practice this is faster to do than to describe. Watch out for legs slipping on the dirt after you finish leveling.

Bill

• 2 months later...

I also have a ZR10 and I use the Bogen 3011 legs with a 3130 head. The 3130 and the 3160 are very similar heads, with the 3130 able to support more weight. Regarding leveling, I agree that it is important for video. Bogen sells the 3115 which fits between the head and the legs which acts as a leveler. The store where I bought the tripod didn't have it in stock, but it looks like it would be useful.

I think the 501 video head is too big considering the user has a tiny ZR10 camera.

• 10 months later...

The choice of the Bogen/Monfrotto 3221 tripod and 501 fluid head are excellant but if you want to make it even better add a Bogen compact leveling head. At Adorama it's SKU# BG3502 (comes with its own bubble level and you don't have to mess with the tripod legs).

You'll love it!

• 2 weeks later...
I own a Sony TRV-820 and I bought a SILK tripod to use with it. This tripod is made for 35mm cameras and does not hold a video camera very well. It was a cheeper way out but you want something that is sure to hold your $1000+ invetment. I wish i would of went with a Bogan.