Trip to Mexico - need advice

razvan_rosca1

<p>Hello everyone,<br>

Finally I get to do the trip I have long waited for. 6 weeks in Mexico.<br />I have some doubts about what should I take with. My gear consists of canon 40d with tamron 17-50/2.8 and canon 70-200/4 and on film canon a1 with 24/2.8 and 50/1.4<br>

With film I only shot black and white and develop them at home, but some friends recomanded me slide film for this trip. I never used slide films and I am worried about not getting the perfect expousure with the built-in meter and getting bad results on slide film. The meter works perfectly but I read that the slide film need a very accurate expousure. So, should I take slide film ? Which one would you recomand ?<br />What about the black and white? What do you recomand ?<br>

Last, is it safe to carry around all that gear ?</p>

<p>Thanks!!<br>

Razvan</p>

<p>Where are you visiting in Mexico? Depending on where you go, no it is not safe to carry around all that gear. Regardless of where you go, here are some tips:</p>

<p>1. Do not look like a tourist with money. Including in hotels, restaurants, shopping areas. Three of my German colleagues at work were kidnapped and held for ransom in Mexico City two weeks ago because they were stupid and went to bars at night and were seen spending lots of money.</p>

<p>2. Avoid being alone, anywhere.</p>

<p>3. Don't leave anything of value in your hotel, including safe.</p>

<p>4. Have a good clear photocopy of your passport stored away safe somewhere, in case your passport is stolen by a crook or the police. Make sure you have your consulate's phone number and emergency contact information handy.</p>

<p>There are many more tips available at your countries web site for travel. In general, Mexico is not a particularly safe place to visit, especially Mexico City, Juarez, and the other large border towns. I'm not trying to sound alarmist, but there are major drug wars going on and many people are finding themselves on the wrong side of it. I love Mexico, and love to travel there, but right now you have to be very careful and smart about it. I really can't imagine walking around with a couple of thousand bucks worth of photo equipment. When I go, I take an old film body and 2 lenses, worth practically nothing. You might be ok in the heavily tourist areas, or especially in the Yucatan, but watch your back. I wish you a happy and safe trip.</p>

<p>The only place you are relatively safe in Mexico is hotel zone in Cancun. Los Cabos and San jose are probably OK. You need to be very careful if you are traveling alone. Big cities like Mexico city are particularly bad but they are so in most countries, think of Rome and Madrid are not any better. Better go with somebody if not in a group. Lonely tourists are targets of all kind of scams, robbery, and even assaults. Keep all your equipment hidden in a back pack and do not let it out of your sight. I do not want to scare you but only to emphasize that you have to be at watch for distractors who will try to get your attention away from your belongings and enable a partner steel your things. Have a good trip. Sandy</p>

<p>Mexico can be pretty bad. We had a Project Manger that was robbed, stripped and bound and left nude in a puddle to drown unless someone helped him before he wasn't able to keep his head up longer. Another old Canadien was attacked at gun point at an ATM, ha, the big ol sleepy looking ex farmer head butted the guy, slammed his face into his knee and took his pistol. After he called the police to turn in the weapon, they asked why didn't he just shoot him.</p>

<p>At one point there was a warehouse of rooms of kidnap victims. They were held there so daily max amounts of ATM withdrawals could be made until the account was emptied. An American was shot in the head in a traffic jam on the Perferico and died on his wife's lap.</p>

<p>For gear advice, me personally, I would leave your favorite camera whichever that on is, at home. If you go with film camera, I would definitly take some slide film. It's always bad advice tell someone to take an untried camera/film combo into a new situation.</p>

<p>As to which E-6, if you don't have time to try it before you go, take some Ektar 100 and some 400VC as a backup.</p>

<p>Velvia will be mentioned though I don't like it, unpredictable colors but to be fair I haven't used the newer version. Kodak 100GX was a favorite, but now history, 100G works fine. Provia 400 if you want a faster slide is a decent film. For a 6 week trip I'd take about a dozen rolls of slide film, and the bulk in color and b+w print film.</p>

<p>You are going to have fun, security is an issue but don't let fear throw a wet rag on your enjoyment.</p>

<p>I'm having a hard time believing the paranoia being expressed here. I have traveled numerous times to Mexico without ever having any incidents. I carry my camera out. I have been out in cities until 2AM, alone, and I have walked many miles in the D.F. Mexico is a family-oriented country, far more than the US. It's important to avoid drug routes and areas where drugs are being moved into the US, so places like Tijuana and Ciudad Juarez should not be on your list. There are also issues in tourist areas like in any country. Most recently, I was in Sonora, a state that gets a lot of publicity for the drug trade. I was out a lot, night and day, with my camera out, walking out into the countryside from villages, and even met people along the way and chatted. Nobody even looked at my gear. My biggest safety concern was that the area had been flooded last winter and you had to drive off roads onto rockbeds at times.</p>

<p>There is an excellent article <a href="http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2009/04/01/mexicomix040109.DTL">here</a> , which describes what you are reading above as "a clamor bordering on hysteria" Read the article for some perspective.</p>

<p>Regarding the original questions, I would take color negative film in your situation, and I would test any film I hadn't used before leaving. Slide film requires more attention because of limited dynamic range, but if you get some practice, you will understand where you can run into problems shooting.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Jeff, it's not paranoia in my case, it's cold hard experience. That is why I asked him where in Mexico he is going. I travel to Mexico nearly every month on business and have seen and heard things first hand on nearly every trip in the last year. A month ago, I was in Juarez and a grenade went off in a bar/restaurant across the street from my hotel, at 7:00pm. Two weeks ago, in Mexico City, 3 colleauges were kidnapped and held for ransom. Their company had to pay to get them freed, the police would do nothing. I can promise you if you go walking down the street in many areas of Juarez with a medium to high end DSLR on your neck, especially with a big lens, you are, to quote The Green Mile, a dead man walking. Anyone going to any of the major hot spots in Mexico taking the advise not to worry about it because it is hysteria is a fool, plain and simple. If you are going to Mexico and you have never been there before, the least you need to do is research the area you are going to and see what is happening there. No doubt 90% of the country is fine. Just don't be in that other 10%.</p>

<p>This is simple anecdotal commenting and all it serves to do is scare people. As the article I referenced points out, this has no bearing on the statistics that determine the relative safety for the average traveler. Juarez and the DF are both places that are known for problems, and why would anyone ever go to Juarez on holiday?</p>

<p>http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_970.html</p>

<p>I would rather rely on this information, as well as others, than the article cited above, which is also mostly anecdotal or outdated statistics. Also, the article is from April, and it is a well known fact that kidnappings in Mexico City are increasing daily, with seemingly everyone getting in on the action, it's not just the drug dealers now. The most often used method now is to kidnap and hold for days while draining daily limits from ATMs (over 300 cases last month alone, out of an estimated 500 kidnappings per month). Also, don't use the taxi's except the sitios, the others can be dangerous.</p>

<p>People should be scared to travel to CERTIAN AREAS OF MEXICO (which I've now said 3 times), just as they should be scared to go to any dangerous area in any country. It's called educating yourself to what areas are dangerous. Mexico City, Acapulco, and Chiapas state are most certainly areas that tourists go to in droves, and are listed as some of the most dangerous areas. Police for the most part have a new rule dictated to them by the crime lords, Plata o Plomo. Most of the crime in Mexico is commited amongst and between the drug lords and the police forces, true, but many "civilians" get caught in the crossfire.</p>

<p>Here is a good article about the things you need to do to stay safer in Mexico, many of which I've already stated. Along with some other interesting reading.</p>

<p>http://gomexico.about.com/od/planningandinformation/a/safety.htm</p>

<p>http://blog.taragana.com/n/mexico-city-suspends-anti-kidnapping-chief-after-rescue-fails-police-kill-2-of-their-own-145531/</p>

<p>http://www.zenit.org/rssenglish-26536</p>

<p>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_Mexico</p>

<p>One final comment then I'll leave you to ponder your trip. I have many Mexican friends and coworkers, and I have yet to find a single one who would suggest going to Mexico City or Acapulco on holiday. Most agree that Cancun, Merida, Puebla, Guadalajara, Cozumel, Silao, and a hand full of other places should be fine, especially if travelling in a group. I still stand 100% on my original post, anecdotal or not.</p>

<p>While I understand reluctance to risk your best equipment, you also have to consider that a trip you "have long waited for" is also one on which you'd like to use your best equipment. You should a consider a valuable personal property insurance policy. I have one on all of the expensive equipment I have and it is very reasonable, around $18-$20 US per month.</p>

<p>I would recommend that if you have never used slide film, don't start with this vacation. Practice at home. As for Mexico, you'll have a great time. Like any other place, be smart. Plan ahead. Research. The insurance policy idea is a good one. If you go to the wrong part of town, you could find yourself in trouble. Hopefully you aren't going to stay on the dark side of Tijauna or Juarez or Matamoros. Even if you did, you might get some pretty neat street shots. Maybe more of a photojournalism vacation.</p>

<p>I have been to Mexico (the Mayan Riviera, Cozumel, Cancun) many times and have never had any safety issues as long as common sense is excercised, and proper respect is shown to the Mexican people. Remember that Mexico is a male dominated, family oriented society, so don't do anything to insult anyone's family!<br>

As far as photographs, Mexico is a very COLORFUL place and slide film is great. On all my trips there except the last (summer of 2007)I have shot slides - mostly Kodachrome and Fujichrome (summer of '07 I shot digital). The early morning and late evening light is fantastic there (at least where I was) and the old and colorful buildings make wonderful subjects.</p>

<p>Thank you all for the advices.<br /> <br /> As for the route I think I am going for more a classic one to see some of the old sites. I will begin my trip in Mexico city and the next day I will meet my contact in Guadalajara. She will host me for a few days so we can enjoy the parties in Guadalajara which are organized that period. Then I will include Teotihuacan, Chichen Itza, Oaxaca, Acapulco and lots others. I just didn't have enought time work on my itinerary.<br /> <br /> Returning to the film issue I think I will take:<br /> <br /> Ilford Delta 100 x 10<br /> Ilford Delta 400 x 10<br /> <br /> What slide Film ??? I will do a roll or two to learn how they work :).I can only find here the following:<br /> <br /> Kodak Ektachrome 100 Plus -> 8EUR<br /> Kodak Ektachrome E100G -> 7.65EUR<br /> Kodak Ektachrome E200 -> 8.69EUR <br /> <br /> Fuji Sensia 100 -> 2.77EUR<br /> Fuji Sensia 200 -> 4.39EUR<br /> Fuji Sensia 400 -> 5.70EUR <br /> Fuji Velvia 100 -> 6.71 EUR<br /> Fuji Provia 100 F -> 6.01EUR<br /> Fuji Provia 400 X -> 7.19EUR<br /> Fuji Astia 100F -> 5.82EUR<br /> <br /> So the price range is preety big, from 2.77EUR to 8.69EUR. I would like good quality ones but I would not go for the most expensive beacause its out of the budget. So based on the quality/price and the mostly outdoor shooting in Mexico(I'm more into street photography), what would you recomand?<br>

Thanks again,<br /> Razvan Rosca</p>

<p>Regarding slide film, I suggest you use Fuji Professional slide films with ISOs from 50 to 400. My favorites when I shot with film were Velvia 50, Velvia 100F, Provia 100X and Provia 400X. Read about each film and get the ones best suited for what you will be shooting.<br /><a href="http://www.fujifilm.com/products/films/color_reversal_films/">http://www.fujifilm.com/products/films/color_reversal_films/</a><br />With slide films there is very little tolerance (or none) for exposure errors so you must make accurate exposures. If possible have the meter in your camera tested for accuracy. (How do you know it works perfectly? Most are off by .3 to .7 f stops.) or get them processed before you leave and look at them. You might have to set minus or plus exp comp on your camera to get accurate exposures. If lighting is really tricky, and the image is important, take two or more images at different exposures. If in doubt, error on underexposure.<br />When I travel abroad, I never advertise my equipment to anyone. No brand name camera strap. No big lens (f 2.0 zoom) on the front of the camera. No brand name camera bag. I keep things simple and understated and use common sense. Consider taking a tripod if that fits into your plans. Use it early in the morning or late in the afternoon when light is best and people are mostly absent.<br />Joe Smith</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Astia is good for portraits but not landscapes. Personally, I do not like Sensia at all at any ISO. It is very lacking in saturation and color compared to other Fuji slide films. When I used it I had to process it with push processing to get any decent results from it. <br>

See if you can get Fuji Pro films where you live. They are worth the extra money. Joe Smith</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Chichen Itza</p>

</blockquote>

<p>If you go to Chichen Itza, you should stay overnight before you go. It's way too crowded by 10AM if you are shooting, unless you want to shoot tons of visitors. There are numerous hotels in a variety of price ranges in the area. I would recommend Uxmal while you are in the Yucatan, I preferred it to Chichen Itza. The whole Pu'uc Route is pretty amazing.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Consider taking a tripod if that fits into your plans.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>At many Mexican historical sites, tripods are either outright banned or carry a hefty permit fee. They are also a problem at museums in Mexico. The only historical site where I could use a tripod without a fee was at Tzintzuntzan in Michoacan, and that's a pretty small and untouristed site. The caretaker just waved me in, it may have just been his choice.</p>

<p>Thaks Joe,<br>

I'll take a look on the films you suggested me.<br /> As for meter I tested it with the digital eos 40d(and this works good judgeing from the histogram) on a gray card and the results matched perfectly. I even compared to other cameras I have and did all right. It only tricks me a lot during night or when I have any kind of light source hitting the lens from the front or even from the side. I kind of learn how it works during the last year so I can guess when somenting is not good.<br>

L'll use a Lowepro backpack, and unfortunately I will not take my tripod since its heavy and will take too much room.<br>

Thank all of you again and if you think there is any more things I should know before hitting the road please tell me.<br>

Razvan Rosca</p>

<p>I've photographed in Mexico three times in recent years, once alone, once with a colleague, and once with my wife at the end of 2007. In none of those trips did I feel threatened anywhere. OTOH I haven't spent time in Mexico City (driving from and to the airport was quite enough for me) and I've also heard that things have got more hostile this last year or so. My advice is to seek advice specific to the areas you intend to travel in, and current, rather than rely on anyone's perception (including mine) of what things were like a year or two ago. I've enjoyed all my trips to Mexico - especially driving round the villages of Yucatan/Campeche and I hope to visit again.</p>

<p>Your film dilemma. There is no doubt that slide film is more difficult to expose than neg film. You do have to get it pretty much spot on. If you're shooting digital colour I can't see there's a big need for 35mm colour slides as well. If you were using MF film I might be tempted. as at that level the sheer out of the camera saturation and size of image is a decent trade off against the flexibility and relative ease of digital, but then I've been shooting slide film for a dozen years or more and I know I'm going to expose it right. A major trip is a poor place to find out that you've been making even small exposure errors all the way through. Meanwhile the contrasts in the strong sun are pretty good for b&w and I'd personally prefer to keep one camera for that. </p>

<p>I'm not a big fan of historical sites , in Mexico or anywhere else, but since my wife is I saw my share on the last visit. I agree with Jeff that I prefer Uxmal to Chichen Itza and that staying close ( for me that meant walking distance) to the latter is a good idea. For me the beauty of Mexico lies in the towns and villages, not in the countryside or in the resorts and Acapulco or indeed any resort is not on my list . In the Yucatan area i particularly liked photographing in the villages on and off the road between Merida and Campeche- Nunkini, Pomuch, Dzitbalche, Muni, and Calkini are amongst those I enjoyed. Also Izamal - a town in ochre- and Valladolid . North of Valladolid there are some delightfully colourful communities on the way to and at the northern coast. Try and catch some deserted/derelict haciendas.</p>

<p>A complete change of pace is presented by the old "silver cities" about four hours drive north of Mexico City. I've enjoyed Guanajuato, Zacatecas and of course San Miguel de Allende, and a trip around the deserted mines above Pozos de Mineral was excellent too. I also enjoyed Oaxaca and the villages around. </p>

<p>You can see some examples from the areas i've suggested on my website <a href="http://www.photography001,com">www.photography001,com</a> in the "Latin Colour" and Graveyard Colour" galleries.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>To Michael who answered first: Your points 1) and 3) apparently clash quite vehemently: 1) Do not look like a tourist, and 3) Do not leave valuables in the room means:</p>

<p>If you follow rule 3) Take your gear (all of it) always with you all the time, to all the bathrooms etc in every restaurant.... Then how do you avoid looking unlike a tourist (rule 1)?</p>

<p>I would suggest quite the opposite: carry on you what you will need, store the rest in your hotel, safe etc. And enjoy the trip for which you have taken out insurance against the bad case that is quite unlikely to happen.</p>

<p>And for film, take Kodak 400 VC or UC if you can still find some 400 UC. </p>

<p>Saying travel in Mexico isn't safe because you know someone that got robbed is a silly as telling someone to stay away from the U.S. because someone got robbed in Boston. The border towns on the Mexico/Texas border are where the problems are, not the entire country. Trouble in the border town areas is not new, it's just recently become "news" here. If you stick to the tourist destinations, you shouldn't have any problems as long as you use common sense in the same way you would in any country traveling in an area you may not be familiar with. I've been traveling to Mexico for the last 30 some years and never had any problems. <strong>Tip:</strong> learning a little Spanish goes a long way to open photo opportunities and will make you feel more like a traveler rather than a tourist.<br>

Julie</p>

<p>If you have never used slide film before, shooting slide film exclusively on a BIG VACATION is a BAD IDEA. You need some practice. Maybe take along one roll of slide film for every two or three rolls of the film that you normally use.</p>

<p>Velvia 100 is a relatively easy-to-expose slide film. It's doesn't have as much contrast as Velvia 50, it's faster, and the colors are beautiful without being quite as extreme.</p>

<p>Mexico safety tips-<br>

- Don't drink the water (SEROUSLY!) unless it's been filtered (ask).<br>

- Don't each food from street vendors.<br>

- Don't each fresh produce.<br>

- Don't go to an ATM at night (and be careful around them during the day)<br>

- Don't get into any taxi that you see on the street. Get the number of a couple of reputable taxi services and wait for the car with the number you were given on the phone.</p>

<p>Mexico is a beautiful and fun place to visit as long as you're careful.</p>

• 1 month later...

<p>I recently returned from Mexico City and the alrm bells sounded out here are far out of proportion to what really is going on. Mexico City was safe. Certainly safer than NYC - Manhattan.<br>

<a href="http://www.flickriver.com/photos/phil_marion/sets/">http://www.flickriver.com/photos/phil_marion/sets/</a></p>

<p>Common sense and precautions ARE neccessary though. The usual - dress down and don't flaunt wealth.</p>