Tricky Lens Question

david_herman3

<p>Hello,<br>

Here is my situation. I work at a summer camp as a photographer. This year we are doing new aerial shots for our website. So I will be going up in a helicopter getting overhead shots of the entire property. I have a 24-105 lens, but I have access to almost every canon lens. I do not know whether I am able to switch lenses while on board or will be using the same lens the entire time. I was thinking that a 16-35, 10-22, 14, or the 24-70mm lenses would be good options. What do you think would be the best 2 lenses to take up in this situation, and if I only had to chose one (which is unlikely) which would it be?<br>

thanks</p>

<p>What camera are you using? I presume a crop camera because of the 10-22 option. What is the property layout, space, acreage etc. Really you need to determine FOV for your various shots, use Google Maps to do a virtual fly by, pre visualise your shot list, time of day, sun angle etc etc. Helicopter time is expensive and the better you can pre plan your flight the more successfully you will be able to deal with the inevitable unforeseen issues.</p>

<p>Depends on what body you are shooting with. If crop (and I'd assume it's a crop based on the fact you've got a 10-22), I'd think the 10-22 + 24-105. The UWA on the crop will give nice width (though maybe 16 (16-35) would be wide enough, depends on your altitude, and the size of land you intend to include, obv.), which you will be SOL without. The 24-105 should give you enough zoom to be able to shoot specific buildings/ features without to much cropping later on.</p>

<p>If you are using a FF, I'd recommend the 16-35 and 24-105 (of the lenses you've listed), though you may find the 105 a little too wide... If possible, FF, I'd go w/ a 16-35, 24-105, and 70-200. </p>

<p>There are a lot of things to take into consideration for such a flight. The primer linked above looks like a great place to start for the camera and lens selection. You should also talk to your pilot in advance of the flight. Where your camp is located may dictate the maximum or even minimum altitude that you can fly/hover at. If at all possible, see if you can get an additional flight to familiarize yourself and the pilot of the area, the shots you want, and work out the details. If you have a lot of altitude to work with, something like a 70-200 would be just about all you'd need, IMO. An extra 500 or 1000 feet can change your perspective quite a lot!</p>

<p>Oh - I just remembered. Try Google Earth to get some "feel" for what you can see from different altitudes and angles. Not quite like "being there", but close.</p>