Tri-X 320 : Wormlike elements on negatives ?

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by dw|1, Dec 9, 2009.

1. Tri-X 320 - 6x7 frames on a fresh 220 roll.

I shot this film for the first time over the weekend. I am getting
    some very obvious wormlike patterns on the negatives.

This is not a grain issue, as the wormlike elements are not
    microscopic. When viewed through a simplye 4x loupe they
    appear to be part of the film base. Jump out at only 8x10 print.

If this is just the nature of the film, then so be it. Though I would
    have a hard time time believing this is subjectively appealing
    to anyone. But if it is not typical of TriX320, then I'd like some
    thoughts on what might be going wrong on here.

Processed as follows:
    Fresh D76 stock, distilled water, 68, N-1 (condensor head).
    All other baths fresh, distilled, within 1 degree. Hang dried
    in my usual dust-free area (never had a problem).
    The roll was1 week fresh from a major supplier.

Please see the scan the 'worming' I'm observing.

Thanks
    Dave
    00VDL1-199299584.jpg

2. That appears to be a classic case of reticulation caused by a sudden, drastic change in temperatures between liquids. The most likely culprit was the wash cycle - a sudden shift in temperature occurred.

3. Thank you Lex.
    It must have been the wash cycle. I have always washed using much cooler water, but it sounds
    like I was just getting away with one on my previous film of choice. I'll take my knock on the
    knuckles here and get the temps straight. Such a beautiful film. I am very happy to hear this.

4. Lex beat me to it....yes , it is definitely reticulation....and quite a bad case of it. One answer can be to have your wash water flow into a large container......say 2-3 gallons and then have another tube out from that container to the washing tank. That way , if there is a sudden drop, or increase in temp, the large volume of water in the holding vessel reduces the rapidity of the change. Cheers, Robert

5. We've a cold spell where I live. Just measured the cold tap and it was like 45 degrees. The lead
    is close to the main coming in from the outdoors. I have a hot water supply in the darkroom, so I
    will be fine. So, the case history here is that a 28 degree drop induces severe reticulation. Anyway,
    clearly an oversight on my part.

6. Wow! I did not think that was possible with modern films... I have seen this with ADOX films but never any films from the last 20 years made in North America or Japan.

7. Paterson used to sell screens which allowed you to get effects like this on purpose.

8. Jeff I bet someone still does. I remember all the cool stuff sold on Spirotone. All kinds of screens for your enlarger and many different filters.

9. Jeff - It certainly is an interesting effect. Gives the whites a texture that is very appealing.
    The effect on skin rendering, however, is quite unpleasant, as it makes it look diseased.
    I'll be doing a snowy 4x5 adventure next month and might reticulate a couple sheets for
    the fun of it. It should be very interesting to see the texture it adds to the snowy whites.