TravelWide 4x5 portable camera project launched!

larry kellogg

<p>Yesterday, a Kickstarter project was launched for the TravelWide 4x5 camera. Think of this camera as a lightweight plastic life support system for a film holder. The camera is designed for the 90mm Schneider Angulon, f/6.8, but it will take a wide variety of 90m lenses. The designers also have a 65mm version of the camera. <br /> More information is here:<br /> http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/wanderlust/travelwide-45-camera<br /> Basically, they need to raise $75k in order to pay for the manufacture of this camera. I'm in for a 90mm version of the camera. At $99, it's a bargain. Bring your own lens. If they don't hit their fundraising goal, then the camera will not be produced. <br /> No money is taken from your credit card until they hit their fundraising goal. I hope people here can help them out. <br /> Regards,<br /> Larry Kellogg</p>

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>I am not sure why someone would want to invest into something designed for a lens that isn't really rated by its manufacturer to cover 45 and that has been out of production for decades and then show it with a shutter that has also been out of production for decades.<br>

In addition, the flange focal length for a given lens can differ with the shutter it is mounted in. Since there has been no source of new Synchro Compur shutters for so many years and since the performance of the Angulon is "spotty" at best comaperd to later designs that do fully cover 45 it would seem a better idea to make this for a modern lens in a Copal shutter.<br>

That would also mean that helicals are available from both Rodenstock and Schneider for their 90mm lenses so the user could easily mount his own lens in a correct focusing mount and attach it to the camera.</p>

<p>Hello Bob, <br>

The short answer is that it is cheap fun. ;-) By all means, bring up your concerns on the thread at the Large Format Photography forum, here: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/forum.php I'm sure they would be glad to discuss your concerns and would like to hear your input.<br /><br /> The idea is to get people excited about large format, at a cheap price point, and with a camera that is light and can be easily thrown in a bag as a point and shoot. I don't know how many times I've almost bought a Speed Graphic only to come to the conclusion that I would not carry the camera. I will carry this camera. <br /><br /><br /> Larry</p>

<p>I am not sure how excited I would be if that old shutter breaks and can't be repaired or if the lens doesn't fully cover the format I would not be a happy user. I would rather carry a few more ounces with a more modern 102° coverage lens then a old, discontinued design.</p>

Or is it that you would rather sell one of your products? Many photographers use old lenses in old shutters and are perfectly happy doing so. Yes, they also frequently ask how to repair them or where to send them to to get repaired. Still...<br>The Wanderlust project offers a cheap way to put the lens at the right distance from a film holder and be able to take pictures with the minimum of equipment.<br><br> Harmless fun for little money.<br>Who can begrudge anyone that?<br>Oh, right... ;-)

<p>I couldn't care less what lens someone puts on this thing. I can't see investing in a new camera that is made to only accept a half century old, or older, mediocre lens.<br>

If you had read my posts above you would have seen that I only stated that a more modern 102° coverage lens. Rodenstock, Schneider, Fuji all make these.<br>

If you want to invest in something new that relys on ancient lenses and shutters, of which there are fewer each year go ahead. It is your money.</p>

<p><em>>> I can't see investing in a new camera that is made to only accept a half century old, or older, mediocre lens. <<</em></p>

<p>Bob, it will accept modern lenses too, so long as the rear cell isn't too large. The f/8 and f/6.8 lenses are likely to fit, the big f/5.6 and f/4.5 lenses not.<em><br /></em></p>

<p>According to the Kickstarter description, there will be instructions to adjust the camera to other 90mm lenses...<br>

BTW, just put down my $99 pledge -- had been looking for a (handheld) travel 4x5 for a while, and neither the Titan Pinhole nor the various Polaroid Frankencameras really fit my bill or budget :)</p>

<p>There's provision to adjust for some variation in FFD, so you can nail down infinity or whatever other distance you like. Beyond that, yes, there will be some slop in the distance markings because actual focal length of different lenses varies from marked focal length, and because of sample variation. If that matters, a user can slap a piece of tape on and recalibrate it.</p>

<p>This is a $99 camera. It's designed as a fun, affordable, ultralight, ultraportable way to explore what it's like to work with a large negative. It also works as a low-cost accessory to let people who already have a 90 for their view camera try a different kind of LF photography. It'll also be a great base for all sorts of DIY camera projects that people will invent.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Mike,<br>

You're welcome! Thanks for joining the cause. I've been pitching the camera all over New York, to my lab guys, to someone at B&H, to 4x5 shooters I run into, to anyone who will listen. I want the backers to hit their target so I can get a camera. I'm not getting paid for my marketing efforts. Everyone needs to spread the word if they want this to happen, otherwise, nobody's credit card gets charged and the camera does not get produced.<br /><br /> I have other cameras, including 35s, medium formats, and a Wisner Technical Field Camera that I love, but this camera looks like too much fun to pass up. I considered a Polaroid Franken camera and was discouraged by the prices, like you. This is just the ticket for a cheap solution.<br /><br /> By the way, if all goes well, they hope to have them by December, maybe sooner.</p>

<p>Well, good luck w/ it Larry. It's a neat looking camera, and the price is right. But it needs to be able to accept a Grafmatic from the get go. Toting a bunch of heavy, bulky film holders defeats the whole Point and Shoot idea, not to mention light and portable. Now this is just me, but the whole marketing process seems somewhat unorthodox. The norm is to come up w/ an idea, develop a working prototype, pitch it to some investors, and go to market w/ your product after you've solved the issues of QC, proper inventory, product distribution, marketing and sales etc. You can throw in some focus group market research if you want to hedge your bets, but that usually isn't necessary in a project like this. I think all that's necessary before launching any product. It looks too vague to me as it is.</p>

<p>The camera only weighs 1 pound 6 ounces. For that weight, I can put up with carrying a bunch of film holders. I might even be able to talk my wife into carrying a few of them. By the way, I think you can bungey cord or rubber band a Grafmatic or any other kind of film holder on the back. There is an example on this page showing a roll back. (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?86921-Wanderlust-4x5-P-amp-S/page53&highlight=Blik) I don't know that much about the Grafmatic as I never went down that road. <br /><br /> I'm not sure why you think it looks vague when they have built two working prototypes, solved the design issues, and have posted test pictures from the camera. They're almost there. Welcome to the new world of product development where you don't waste all that time and money on sales and marketing only to find out that you have a flop. It's only $99. Sure, it could all go wrong, but these guys have had another successful KickStarter project and it looks like they have done their homework on this one. Read the whole thread on the Large Format Photography forum to see what I mean.</p>

<p>Schneider's specifications for the 90mm f/6.8 Angulon give it an image circle of 154mm at f/16, which in principle is just enough to cover 4x5 at infinity focus. That said, the Angulon is an old design, and many of the ones you'll find now date from the 1950's, when Schneider's quality control hadn't yet reached the high standard that we take for granted today.</p>

<p>If you want to use the camera to make negatives intended for big enlargements that will be examined critically, you may want to mount the camera on a tripod and use a newer, more complex design like a 90/8 Super Angulon, 90/6.8 Grandagon or similar. If you intend to use the camera hand-held in free-and-easy mode, you're already going to be trading off some technical quality, and the size and weight advantage of the Angulon can help make the camera more fun to carry and use.</p>

<p>Take a look at the Kickstarter page. They mention that they've specifically tested the 90/8 Super Angulon on the camera and that it works well.</p>

<p>And a comment for Steve: the folks behind this project spent several months on the Large Format Photography Forum soliciting input and testing ideas. They've also been using prototype cameras in the field. You can go read the thread for yourself if you're curious. But the take-home is that the product design as you currently see it reflects a set of design/cost tradeoffs that's been pretty carefully thought through. They've tried very hard to keep the price under $100 while still maintaining enough functionality for the camera to appeal to a wide audience.</p>

<p>Well I own a Linhof Technika and a Sinar and I could see myself using this for specific projects.<br /> But, I have owned several 6.8 Angulons over the years and not one was sharp in the corners even at f/22.<br /> When I finally got my f/5.6 super angulon I was amazed how much better it was.<br /> If they made these with different cones like the Fotoman I could see using my 75mm grandagon on one. I actually fancied the 65mm version more, on which I would use my 65mm grandagon, but lack of focussing ability is a deal breaker for me, it is surprising how shallow the depth of field of 65mm on 4x5 is.<br /> To me this is a glorified Lomo idea, good luck to them, it will be good fun for many and if it introduces people to large format and gets them buying film it will help support the whole market. After all if they need $75,000 to start they must think they can sell shedloads of them.<br>

I actually see this as more useful and better value than the Titan pinhole 4x5.<br /> Good luck to them.</p>

<p>Mark, <br /><br /> I don't think you understand the Kickstarter process. The $75,000 is not just to get them started, it is to build cameras for about 750 people. Almost all of the pledge levels specify that you will receive a camera. To me, it is an amazing bargain. If 750 people do not step up then the camera will not get built, nor should it. The costs must be paid. <br /> <br />How much profit do you think is going to be in it for the two designers after they pay for the mold creation, manufacturing, and other costs? Very little, I would say. At this point, those two guys are doing it out of love and a passion for large format photography. My hat is off to them.<br /><br /> Ok, so you guys are complaining about the Angulon. Well, that lens crushes the lenses on the Lomos, which are little plastic lenses, aren't they? It's all relative. I'm sure the Super Angulon is better, if it is not, they should have fired the lens designer. <br /><br /> It just doesn't make much sense to mount an expensive Super Angulon on the front of this plastic camera. For one, it will be nose heavy and awkward to shoot. Besides that, the lens will quickly find the pavement if you ever drop the camera.<br /><br /> So, are there any higher quality, low weight, low profile 90mm lenses that would work with the Wanderlust? I'm all ears. I could see upgrading to a higher quality lens. After all, the lens is the most important part of the whole system.<br /> <br />Larry<br /> <br /><br /></p>

<p>It looks like a great idea to me and if it had been on the market a few years back I would probably have gone for one. The Schneider Angulon 90 issue doesn't concern me as the ones I used always had a bigger than advertised image circle - it just got a progressively more blurry beyond the stated circle. However in my experioence a Super Angulon f8 would probably be worth the extra size as they are normally quite noticeably sharper. The SA 65mm f8 is a nice little lens. Great idea - and best of luck to all concerned with it.</p>

<p>Final comment on this issue (I think), and let me preface my comments that I have an Arca Swiss Field Camera for "serious" photography, with an assortment of Apo-Sironars and Grandagons for maximum quality and image circles.<br>

This camera, for me, is not competing with my Arca. It is the alternative to NO LF images when travelling. I also have a smallish Anba Ikeda, which (together with a couple of small, old lenses - Ektar 203, Ektar 127 and Angulon 90 -- yes, that one) fits in a small, old-school SLR bag, and is my normal backpacking or travelling camera. However, it still requires a tripod, and therefore is left behind on family trips and/or some international travel. With this camera (if the project gets off the ground), I can take the same old-school SLR bag and will be able to take hand-held 4x5 shots. With TMax 100 pushed to true EI100, a camera in this weight class should be okay at f16 and 1/100, especially if you utilize a wall or something for support.<br>

With respect to the Angulon 90, I have read/heard all the comments about it not covering, being crappy etc., etc., and while it doesn't compete with my Grandagon, it can produce decent images closed-down. Here is an example (shot at about f20):<br>

<a href=" Coyote Buttes - The Big Entrance (January 2005)

Yes, the Angulon 90 doesn't allow for much in terms of movements, but I am assuming that in this camera it will be centered, so movements aren't going to be an issue...</p>

<p>Mike, <br>

Great analysis and nice shot. I'm thinking along the same lines. I was actually considering trying to lug the Wisner and all my gear through France on one of our trips, but I don't think my wife would have the patience for it. I'm definitely getting one of those GorillaPods for use with this camera.</p>