Travelling with Hasselblad... am I nuts?

jeffery_pool

Hello,

I've posted this in the medium format section, but it relates to Travel.

I'm leaving to southeast asia and beyond next summer, and I've been thinking

about my camera choices. For the first part of the trip, my friends and I are

taking time to enjoy ourselves, but after they leave for home, I plan to build

an extensive portfolio while I am abroad. I shoot mainly with a 500c/m and a

50mm and an 80mm lens. I plan to add a 150mm and an extra a12 back, as well as

a very compact ballhead for my already small and light tripod. I have thought

of bringing a 35mm SLR to save on weight and size, but I am in love with the

6x6 negative. But then again, thousands of amazing photographs have been made

with 35mm cameras. I'm torn between bringing the 35mm or 6x6 system and have

been going back and forth. Can anyone offer any advice?

Are you going to travel by a car, or you plan to climb the mountains? There's no problem with Hassie in your car. And if you preffer walking, get a perfect bag, stuff it with all Hasselblad equipment and other stuff you plan to carry a go for a walk in your home area. Get an all day trip and at the end of the day you will see if you can handle that weight. Then get 3 days trip and you will see.

Simple answer for your question is: Take Hasselblad if you can carry it!

Btw. "small and light tripod" and Hasselblad sounds like a crazy combination ;-)

Ivan

I plan to do a lot of both, walking and riding in vehicles. I've already hiked for long distances with the blad, but the blad only. Theres just something very appealing about the size of something like a small 35mm rangefinder and 3 puny lenses. I just need to choose and leave it at that!

If the photography is important to you and the style of photograph you hope to make suits the format, then take the Hasselblad.

If on the other hand you want to make a lot of candid, rapid, street photographs then despite the fact that quality is less, you are more likely to get the picture.

A word of warning though- there are several top-end 35mm slrs that are as big and as heavy as a Hasselblad. Make sure you don't end up with the worst of both worlds.

I'd be thinking about what might happen if my camera broke whilst i was away. Whatever your choice I'd pack a decent digital compact for when tripods weren't on and speed of use is imperative, as well as acting as back-up.

There have been many such questions and few easy answers. One regular comment is to

have the best of both worlds: take whatever heavy system that was mentioned, plus a

small 35mm or compact digital for evening shots or where you didn't have time/

inclination/bravery/foolhardiness to unpack the full Hasselblad/Nikon/Canon/large

format/whatever kit. My compact 35mm favourites are the Olympus XA and Mju-II (aka

Stylus Epic). The XA is a compact rangefinder with aperture priority and the Mju is

autofocus and a lot newer - still available new here and there. Both have sharp 35mm/f2.8

lenses. There are plenty of others to choose from. And very handy if the hasselblad body

fails for any reason (everything fails when you really don't want it to, y'know!). A spare

body'd be a good idea, come to think of it. No point having 4 lenses and a dead body.

I do it on every trip/walkabout along with a contax g rangefinder. I end up using the range finder more, but when the situation arises, I am always happy I have the blad along. I usually carry different lenses for the different systems to cover the gamut. 28 and 45 for 35mm, and 60 150 for the 6x6. Get a good bag, good shoes, and camera insurance if you decide to leave one system behind at you hotel, etc. But I must disclaim I have been called crazy more than once!

A 'Blad is not a bad choice if you are going to carry MF equipment on a trip. The main thing is to NOT get your kit so heavy that it ruins your day(s). My choice would be the 'Blad with single lens, probably the 50 as you don't have a 60. The extra back is a good idea as you could shoot two different emulsions or film speeds. But I wouldn't take anything else to add to the weight of the kit. No prism viewfinders or hand grips. Yes, you'll have to use a hand held meter.

I'd also take, as other forum members have said, a small pocketable 35mm camera. This is your back up if the Blad breaks. Keep in mind that in Europe, you're never very far from a large city, so if something happens to the Blad, you probably can get it fixed. Hasselbad used to list its world-wide authorized repair stations. Might be worth a web visit or call to get them. Be sure it's the most current listing. They do add and remove repair houses from the list as I learned from bitter experience.

Enjoy your trip!

I'd say you're nuts :) I travelled in SE Asia with a 'Blad - constantly worried aout it getting stolen, got arm ache from carrying it and missed loads of shots becasue it took too long to set up. Major headache.

I travelled with an old 35mm; didn't care about it getting stolen/damaged, no tripod, got some quality shots without any hassles and it fitted in my rucksack perfectly. I'd never take a 'Blad again. Much too much hassle & worry.

But everyone's different.

If you actually, seriously, must have 6x6 medium format quality, then the Hassie is probably the most compact and lightweight solution (other than a TLR, but then you don't get a choice of lenses). If you are prepared to compromise quality in the interests of light weight and compactness, you open up a whole world of choices. Consider 35mm rangefinder (lighter than SLR). Consider digital. But get the primary dilemma resolved first.

As a self professed Hasselblad addict, I decided to take a small suite of Hasselblad equipment with me (500c/m, 1-A12, 50mm, 80mm, 150mm). While the shots were great, it really interfered with my enjoying myself. I was always "lugging" everything. I finally left the 50mm (usually) and the 150mm in my luggage and carried just the body with me. Then there was the issue of all the film. It was a real pain. What I do now is carry a good quality Nikon Coolpix. But then I'm not a travel photographer. If you take the Hasselblad, I'd pick one lens and keep it simple. Also, if you take the 150mm, you're going to want a tripod. Now there's some fun!<g>

Thanks for all the input. It all helped me decide that I'd much rather have a 35mm rangefinder with 3 lenses than a 500c/m with only one or two lenses. I remember I used to print 35mm images at full frame on 8x10 paper and say to myself that "these are as big as I'd want to print anyways". I'd rather have good images than smooth and grainless ones.

I'm still not sure if I'll take a tripod, I shoot lots of pj style images but landscapes are something I enjoy too. I guess my own style of shooting is up to me to decide!

Jeffery,

Hasselblad with 80mm lens is an almost universal picture taking tool. You already know this because you have one. Very good for everything including travel.

However, there are at least two problems you will face while traveling in foreign countries with any film camera and with Hasselblad in particular:

(1) film can be ruined by carry-on checking X-ray machines.

Yes. It can be ruined. For a number of years I did not believe it.

Now I am 100% sure that it is true.

On my return from Italy this summer almost all my Astia and NPH film in a hand-hold baggage was ruined. Not in checked in baggage, but in a bag I was carrying with me on the plane. Film from the same batch that stayed in the US was all fine.

So, I am 100% sure that film can be ruined by a hand-hold baggage checking X-ray machine located at the international airport in Napoli, Italy. Generalizations are welcome.

Side note: rolls of 120 film do not contain metal parts. Many a time I passed through security with 5-10 rolls of 120 film in my pockets.

But you cannot protect from X-rays large amounts of film this way.

(2) If you take 50 and/or 150 mm lens, you almost definitely need a tripod either for exact framing or for making long enough exposures.

It depends on a whim of a security officer, among other things, whether you are permitted to carry a tripod with you on a plane or not. It is best to check your tripod with your baggage provided it is reasonably protected from physical destruction and cannot be easily stolen. I have horror stories to tell about tripods in foreign countries, upon request.

Best regards,

Alexei

I've travelled all over the world with heavy `16mm film camers, medium format, etc. It was not until I came to my senses and used a lightweight 35mm rangefinder( Contax G2 with Zeiss lenses) that I realised how I could enjoy my trip and have fun photographing as well. Try going into a cathedral or Buddhist temple and hold a Hassie in low light Tripods almost never allowed. Easily done with 400 film and fast lens. I've gotten beautiful B&W prints to 11x14 processed in my own darkroom. I carry a lightweight carbon fiber tripod for night shots that fits in a small suitcase or carry on. Never miss a grab shot and no aching back or shoulders. Have fun

Regardless of which camera you opt for, I would strongly recommend the Leica table-top

tripod and their large ball-head. It folds easily, can be pushed against a tree or wall and will

support a Hasselblad enough to really steady many shots. It can even be used as a chest-

pod.

My choice would be my Leica M with a couple of lenses and that tripod. Now, of course, I

would think seriously about an M8 digital Leica M.

Cheers, Jim

"Actually, thinking about this further I would suggest you are going about it the wrong way. First think of what images you want to capture and then decide which is the best too to do the job."

I've thought about it a fair bit, and a small rangefinder does help me capture the images I will want to capture. I like the blad and will probably end up keeping it safe here while I head abroad, and perhaps get it shipped to me if I find myself in a permanent location that calls for the use of more time and deliberation spent with the bigger camera. otherwise, i won't sweat it. I've been looking at Bessa 35mm rangefinders, they seem like a nice price.

For the past 5 years I have been travelling through Asia with a Hasselblad. From the deserts of India to the high Himalayas to the jungles of Cambodia, allways with a Hasselblad and a few lenses. I woyuld not want to travel with any other camera.

One tip, bring a polaroid back so you can give people an instant portrait. It makes taking portraits a lot easier.<div>00Ifg9-33324384.jpg.c2d981eca6237f5e66d8f0132d0e5d9a.jpg</div>