Traveling with 70-200 f/2.8L IS

james_glucksman1

<p>I just upgraded to the 70-200 f/2.8L IS lens, and would like to make a habit of using it regularly, but I wonder how to carry it with me when traveling? I use a 5DMkII along with the 16-35 f/2.8L II and the 24-70 f/2.8L (which is my "walking around" lens). The case for the 70-200 is so bulky that I cannot imagine using it, and yet my camera bag is too small to accommodate the lens. What do you do?</p>

<p>What Juergen said. I have the same set of lenses, and (apart from the weight) carry them easily enough in a Domke F804 with a wide angle insert. That insert has four offset compartments, making two of them big enough to carry the 70-200 f2.8 and 24-70, front down, at the same time. Plus the F804 is tall enough for the 70-200 with 2x converter mounted. Third compartment carries a flash, fourth gets my Holga lens, off camera flash cord, spare caps, or whatever. Great bag, fabulous insert.</p>

<p>I carry second smaller bag, that holds my 70-200, 100-400 and 580 EX II flash all side by side. Very compact and easy to leave in your vehicle to use when needed. When I do take it in my back pack, I usually put the 70-200 on the camera in the bag. Seems like it gives me more room. If you don't have a back pack, I'd recommend you get one. Do what ever you have to but don't leave that lens behind. Once you get used to it, you will love it.<br>

Best regards,<br>

Scott</p>

<p>Same here. Camera backpack stuffed, 5D with 24-105 f/4, my walking around lens, 100mm2.8 macro, 200mm2.8L prime, 1.4 and 2.0 telextenders, MR-14EX macro flash, Speedlite 580EX II flash, Etc. <br /> <br /> Even if I pulled out the 200mm prime, the 70-200 f/2.8L IS lens won’t fit. I’m thinking of maybe getting the Digital Holster 30 from Think Tank photo. Putting the 5D and 70-200 f/2.8L IS lens in the holster. Taking the 200mm prime out of the main camera bag, and putting in the 24-105 f/4, would still free up room for other accessories. I would have quicker access to the 5D and 70-200 f/2.8L IS lens. I would have more accessories with me in the field And I have never been in a hurry to get a wide angle shot.<br /> <br /> But I’ll wait and read all the answers you get here. Before I make up my mind. ;-)</p>

<p>Thanks for all the responses! Here's some more info that may be useful:<br>

I currently have a LowePro Slingshot AV200, which I use when shooting near home. I also have a photo backpack that I use to carry my gear on the plane when flying, but I find it to be inconvenient to use when actually shooting. I also have a Crumpler shoulder bag that, in hindsight, may fit the bill that I'm looking for. I need to dig it out of the closet and see if I can get my stuff in there. <br>

The other issue is to have a bag that does not scream to all passersby "EXPENSIVE CAMERA GEAR ON BOARD" so that I can avoid as much as possible the risk of theft while traveling in risky urban environments (such as Barcelona, where I'll be holidaying in January).</p>

<p>My solution is different.<br>

I have the same rig as you - same lenses, and a 5D and a 1D3. When traveling, I leave my 70-200 at home and just bring the 16-35 and a 50/1.8 (and the 24-70 but that stays in the bag in the hotel). I find that wide is good when travelling (matter of taste!) and the other lens is too heavy to carry around all day.<br>

Michael</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Re the safety of Barcelona, thanks for the peace of mind; I also don't expect it to be particularly dangerous, having grown up in New York and lived all over Europe and now Asia. But still... And re leaving the 70-200 home, that is not an option, since I need to justify in my mind the purchase! Finally, re taking a lot of Gaudí pictures, that is a given, since we plan to make a gingerbread version of one of his buildings (probably the Sagrada Familia) as the centrepiece of our annual Christmas party next year. (Every year we make a gingerbread house modeled on a building we visited during an overseas trip. This year it was the Wat Phra Kaew in Bangkok, last year it was the Potala Palace. Earlier years we did Notre Dame, the Casa de Pena in Portugal, Christ Church Cathedral in Dublin, etc...) To do that I have to take a zillion photos from all possible angles of the building we choose to do!</p>

<p>I walked all over Nepal with a set similar to the equipment you have. It was great to have porters to carry other stuff, but of course porters didn't get to carry my camera gear. The pack (Lowepro drybag 300) was 22 pounds, so be ready to feel like a pack mule. In europe, you may find a hotel safe to keep the 70-200 for the days you want to be lighter. At the end of a long day you may wonder whether the extra several pounds were worth it. I would not use a shoulder bag for that kind of weight -- a backpack will be kinder for your shoulders. After a few trips like that you will search with renewed interest for smaller camera bags, that kindly prohibit excess gear.</p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p>I use a Lowepro reporter s&f aw 500, and that will do the job well I think. It also has an upper zipper for fast access to gear, but I found it especially 'safe', cause not the total bag is open, but just the top zipper. When walking around in Barcelona, like I did last summer, I kept my right hand over the open zipper, to prevent unwanted strange access. A backpack will not give you the quick access the slingshot has. The reporter is perhaps less convenient, but gives direct access as well. I used many bags, and like this one most. I also have a large backpack wich I use for all the gear and laptop for locations that do not require any walk around. </p>

<p>My biggest regret is buying the 70-200 f2.8L IS instead of the f4 version. I find the f2.8 is just that little bit too heavy and bulky to be dragging around in case you need it. When I have a task dedicated to the 70-200 such as wildlife I don't mind it at all, but as a lens to be kept in your bag as a "just in case" lens, it's too much of a burden for me. Besides, the f4 has superior IS to the f2.8 and is at least as sharp, if not sharper. With a 5D2, the extra stop the 2.8 gives is not as essential as it used to be as you can happily ramp up the ISO without worrying about degrading the image too much.</p>

<p>To answer your question, I have a Lowepro Mini Trekker AW which is an amazing bag for its small size. Mine has a 350D with 24-105 f4L IS, 70-200 f2.8L IS, 1.4 extender, 580EXII, 50mm f1.8, Sigma 10-20mm, 100mm f3.5 macro, lens hoods for all lenses, filters, releases, batteries, charger and more. It even carries a large tripod if required. All for £65 GBP ($90 USD). It's also very comfortable, well made and waterproof. You simply can't ask for a better rucksack.</p>

<p>James, the Lowepro website has videos of their different bags. I keep my 70-200 in a Vertex 100 by Lowepro. Bag is roomy with a pouch for a laptop if you need it. I'll admit, when I get to my destination, I usually choose what lens I'm going to shoot and the others stay in the bag...in the car or hotel room. When I use the 70-200, I often stick my lightweight 17-85 in my coat pocket or small carrying case I bought for that purpose, just in case.</p>

<p>I use a LowePro Stealth Reporter 400. It easily holds the lens, even mounted, though the cover pushes up slightly in the latter configuration.</p>

<p>BTW, carrying that lens with a shoulder bag, it's not a bad idea to wear a small packsack as well, both for personal stuff, and as an "out" if the 70-200 is starting to kill your shoulder. You can roll it into a towel, or bring along it's own case, if you have the room.</p>

• 1 month later...
<p>Thanks for all your tips. I just got back from the Barcelona trip and ended up using my Crumpler Six Million Dollar over-the-shoulder bag, though for the most part I did not use the 70-200 during the time I was in the city (I did bring it for some shots of Sagrada Familia, and when traveling in the other parts of Catalonia). No crime issues whatsoever, nor did I ever feel even slightly unsafe. I have put some photos on my Smugmug page if anyone is interested. http://shuanglong.smugmug.com/gallery/7267727_XUtPS</p>