Traveling to the philipines for wife's family

deadtree02

I am leaving next week to go to the philipines for 2 weeks. We are going to be staying with family for close to a week and spending Tim at

2 different resorts. Her family lives on iloilo.

The gear I am taking. My canon 7d, 70-200 is, 17-55 2.8. My charger 3 batteries 2 - 16 gb cards(might by 1 more) and a tripod for family

pics

My gear will be in the a carry on with locks securing the zippers.

We will be there for a 100th birthday and Holy Week and I hope to get good shots.

I have one or 2 questions:

Does anyone recommend travel insurance. I checked with my homeowners and they said they cover it I wasn't sure if I should get more. I

will be taking pictures of my gear just as a precaution.

Safety ideas - I am awareof some of the hazards: ie pickpockets and such... I am hoping being with family will help but I a bald extremely

white guy who I was told will stand out everywhere.

This is the furthest I have gone and the nicest gear I have traveled with... Any travel suggestions (or suggestions of any kind)would be

great

Thank you David

I have my camera equipment and certain items of my wife's jewelry covered under my homeowner's policy. In the US it is generally called a "floater" rider to cover items that may be lost, stolen or damaged when carried outside the home, since these items are covered for loss when inside the home. I send copies of sales receipts, with serial #s, to the insurance company and periodically adjust coverage values (the market value of your 7D is certainly equal to what it cost to buy new a few years ago).

I have not seen a policy which just covers equipment for a specific trip, like "travel insurance", since coverage under my homeowners policy continues until I adjust which items are on the "floater" rider (eliminating equipment I don't use or have limited value like older digital and film bodies).

I am sure you will receive Philippines specific advice on this forum (which I don't have), but I would think that if you are with your relatives, who are local, that will provide you with better access for photo opportunities, and I am sure they will not let you wander into areas that you should not be in.

<p>Others can/will provide advice about travel insurance (I never get insurance). And I can't comment on the Philippines, because it's been many years since I have been there. (I go to Thailand, about every five years which means this November). My question is about your two 16 Gb memory cards. Will that be enough space to save all your photos - taken in RAW? My wife and I, take about two 64 Mb memory cards each (mostly wildlife) and I down load my photos each night on to a hard disk for review and storage. My wife uses her laptop for review and storage - the memory cards are empty for the next days shoot.</p>

<p>You can ask your insurance agent but as Kenneth says your camera gear is most likely covered under your homeowners policy as long as it's just being used for personal use and not clearly used for professional work. (Not that they are likely to know the difference unless you tell them, but it's a potential loophole to give them an excuse not to pay.) I've traveled extensively with camera gear and it's never been an issue.<br /><br />If you're there primarily to photograph a family party as opposed to be out shooting on the streets I don't see any reason to worry about theft unless you don't trust your relatives. :) Never been to the Philipines but I doubt it's any more unsafe than anywhere else. Just don't walk around like a tourist with the camera hanging off your back where you can't see it. When traveling I usually put camera equipment in my kids' backpack (not one with a camera name on it) and only pull it out when i'm going to use it, then put it back.<br /><br />A 16GB card is about 900 raw shots on my Nikons. I carry half a dozen. I've never filled them all up but they're cheap and you can never have too many.</p>