Traveling to Paris (need advice)

gwendolyn_white

I want to bring my Canon Rebel XT, my Canon Elan7NE, and two Canon lens (one is

the kit lens that came with my rebel and the other is a 100mm Macro lens). I've

been hearing a multiple amount of things about bringing my cameras. First off, I

have heard that it's <b>not</b> that hard to bring a camera over -- in fact

you're allowed to carry a camera on as well as your carry on bag and purse (or

smaller bag) -- but then I have also heard that if you have professional looking

equipment you will be questioned because it looks like you're going to work (in

which case you'd need a visa). I'm mainly confused because my equipment is not

very expensive (people in the photography world should know) and my items are

all more than a year old.

<br><br>

I'm asking here hoping someone who <i>has</i> traveled abroad with their

equipment can give me a realistic run down of what to expect. The CBP website

also said that when coming back to the US you have to prove that you did not buy

your equipment while overseas because then you are subject to another charge

(gifts, watches, computer etc. are included in this). It says you need to carry

proof of the purchase that says it was purchased in the US. That's

understandable, but I'm wondering what other people on here think of that as

well. Did you have a lot of problems returning as well as going?

<br><br>

These are literally the only pieces of equipment I am bringing, and I already

know about thefts, security etc. It's the crossing over and coming back that

concerns me the most.

<br><br>

Thank you for any help or information.

Not a professional but I go to Europe every other year or so and I haven't any trouble with photo gear. In principle proof of purchase applies but I don't know anyone who worries about it, including customs people. Of course, you will probably provide the exception that proves the rule :-)

For carry-on limits, check with your airline(s). Most airline sites have explicit guidelines. Generally its one carry-on bag and one personal item, like a purse, camera case (n.b., not "bag"), laptop computer, audio/video device, mobility assistance device, etc. But I think the UK limits are stricter.

Get this straight before you head for the airport!

1.1) Nobody is going to question you at the customs at France about your gear.

1.2) You can use whatever equipment you want, but in few places in Paris, such as the square around Louvre and Tuilerie, they may disallow you to use a tripod, though you are as likely may be able to get away with it.

2) It is very unlikely that somebody would question you about your gear at the US customs when coming back. I have never been asked a single questions about *multiple suitcases* of gear when coming back from overseas. I cannot imagine they would care about meek tourist with couple of cameras and couple of lenses. Theoretically you can register your gear with the US customs before leaving, in practice there is not much reason to do it. (Personally, I never did but in the worst and unlikely case could have always relied on an insurance policy with serial numbers etc. listed that could have been used as a proof.)

Proof of purchase? Coming from Europe? Have you seen the prices of equipment in Europe? Nobody will think you bought over there. You will be fine. .. as long as you don't have price tags and the new boxes with you. Don't sweat it.

On Overseas flights, I always carry a small camera bag and knapsack with other goodies (laptop, travel documents, books, Ipod etc) Something which can carry both bodies and 2 lenses will work fine. Mine typically has 1 body, 3-4 lenses, plus a flash and a telphoto in a strap on case.

The only thing I would caution is that the camera bag may or may not count as one of your two carryon items. The rules seem to change weekly, and *interpetation* varies by airline and airport. I once had a carryon knapsack *weighed* - and the limit was ridiculously light (I think 12kg?), while the camera back didn't get a second look. Another time neither the knapsack nor the backpack counted as carryons.

The main reason not to bring over cameras is because you don't want to lug them around. If you do want to lug them around. . .BRING THEM.

I bring lots and lots of camera stuff with me. On my last few trips. . .I generally bought a new piece of gear just for the trip! My main advice to you would be to get one or two more lenses :) And stay away from EF-S lenses . .you want lenses that work on both cameras.

Good point! I'm bringing things I can "afford" to lose because I was advised against bringing my favorite camera equipment (my Hasselblad) but someone still said to me that my camera would be confused as professional equipment. I tried to explain to them that my camera is not on the professional end and only an idiot (or someone who knew nothing about cameras) would confuse it with that, but alas, they would not listen to me; they were convinced that my camera would be mistaken as a professional camera. So that's what <i>really</i> prompted me to ask here what people thought about traveling with equipment. :)

<br><br>

I'm going to check out that link right now. Thank you!

I am going to Paris soon as well. One of my biggest questions right now is whether I need to get a new lens for shooting in the available light in museums. For example, the Louvre will allow photography but not flash (fairly standard). Looking at your lenses I would think that you might consider a 50mm f/1.8 or 1.4 for this purpose - just a thought in case you were interested in museum sculpture (for example).

Philip-> LOL!

Philip is right, you're taking 2 lenses and 2 bodies, I doubt you'll have problems. (Any particular reason your taking a 100mm prime, instead of a 50mm or 28mm, or better yet, 12-2xish. Europe is a wide angle kinda place).

I'll give you an example of what I took when I went on a 3-week trip to Europe in 2005:

Canon Digital Rebel with 3 Batteries, the battery charger, Sigma 18-125mm 3.5-5.6, Canon 50mm f1.8, about six 512 CF cards, RC-1 remote, Polarizer, and an Ultrapod II (small table tripod). Also, my wife took a Canon A80 for a P&S.

I carried it all in a Lowepro Orion Trekker, it has two sections: a padded camera bag section, and a non-padded daypack section. It was my only "carry-on" it kept everything I needed for the plane ride, and while walking around (journal, snack, jacket etc.) I never had a problem taking it on as a carry-on, it's only a backpack... easy to store under the seat or overhead)

As for "proof" of purchase. I did take my receipts and warranty cards in a ziplock bag. I kept them in the camera bag.

Safe Travels,

Amol

<i>"Philip is right, you're taking 2 lenses and 2 bodies, I doubt you'll have

problems. <b>(Any particular reason your taking a 100mm prime, instead of a 50mm

or 28mm, or better yet, 12-2xish. Europe is a wide angle kinda place).</b>"</i>

<br><br>

Because it's my only other lens and I love it. I plan on purchasing a wide angle sometime soon but unfortunately I haven't had time to save up for another lens. :(

<br><br>

I might look into buying a cheaper wide angle lens that has gotten good reviews just to use on this trip (any suggestions?), but I'll have to figure that out. I'm going for the month of June. I'm actually studying abroad (art history) but since I'm a photography major I plan on doing a lot of shooting while there. I just think it would be a waste not to in a city like that!

<br><br>

I also have a LowePro backpack that is fantastic but I wasn't sure if I should bring it or not. I've got a few months to figure out the little details. :)

Aaron,

<br><br>

I've used the lens for some time now, and yes I am bringing it because it's the only lens I can use on my 7ne. I find it very versatile. It does limit me to certain things (such as landscapes) but I don't have any other option at this time unless I can find another lens -- which I might. I use it for my photography class and it has not let me down on any of the assignments so... I think I'll be ok with it. <br><br>

Now that I think of it, I've been looking at this lens but I keep going back and forth about it: <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=5564&A=details&Q=&sku=397592&is=USA&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation">http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=5564&A=details&Q=</a>

<br><br>

What do you guys think of this lens?

When flying out of an EU airport you are now allowed only one carry-on bag of maximum size 55cm x 28cm x 20cm, and no additional "loose" items like binoculars or cameras. Apart from that, I see no reason why you should have the slightest problem with your equipment.

Obviously your choice of equipment is determined by what you have rather than what you need, but you would probably get much more from your trip photographically if you could reorganise a bit. An Elan 7NE with only a 100/2.8 lens available for use on it is a significant amount of weight and bulk for not much useability in an urban environment. Are you all that committed to film?

I (a Spaniard, so I can't tell about import/export questions) was last year in Paris and I had no problem at all, nobody asked me about my gear (Contax 139, Yashica fx-3, 28mm, 50mm and 135mm).

If you want to shot with tripod in some open places (for instance, the Louvre square) you can ask somebody (police or private security are the best) for watching your camera & tripod for taking a picture of yourself in front of the pyramid (remember to talk to them before they talk to you). Sometimes it doesn't work, but if they agree you could take one or two extra shots.

Gwendoyln,

I understand your budget is tight. A 50mm f/1.8 can be bought online for about $80. (this will work on both camera bodies, though on the digital it will equal 80mm).

As for zooms, the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 and the Sigma 17-70 2.8-4.5 have gotten good reviews (though they are made for digital). The Tamron costs more, because of the 2.8, but the range of the Sigma is nice for travel (17-70). I used the Sigma 18-125, which cost even less, it gave excellent range, and the photos where pretty good (not great, but good). I sometimes wished for a f2.8, in museums, because of low light and no tripod rules.

I think, in Europe a 50mm 1.8 ($80)will be more useful, than a 100mm, but thats my opinion. You could take both, just in case.

Amol

Oh, one more thought.

I have a Rebel Xt, and a Film Rebel. I find, I only use the Digital, switching between the two bodies is a pain, lens EF vs. Digital, and film vs. CF cards. You might want to consider the Elan 7 a "back-up", and shoot primarily with the XT. Therefore, when I buy lenses I only consider lenses that will work for my XT. Though, the 17-40 and 16-35 can be used on both, they cost a little too much for me. Using both bodies requires pre-planning and carrying extra gear (lenses and film). I also have a Canon 28-105mm 3.5-4.5 USM II, it works on both bodies.

Robin,

I <I>am</i> limited to what I have, not what I want. I love my Elan more than my Rebel, actually, which is why I want to bring it. I'd really like to get at least a couple rolls of film as well so in the future I could make enlargements myself -- with digital I have to have a good printer and I've never been fond of that method. I do understand the lens will limit me but I love the lens too and its all I have for now so I figure bring it -- you never know. I'm going to be staying there for a month so I figure I'll find something to do with it. I also do not plan on lugging everything with me -- only what I need which will be one cam at a time. My rebel will be my main but like I said I really want a couple rolls of film.

<Br><br>

<I>I understand your budget is tight. A 50mm f/1.8 can be bought online for about

$80. (this will work on both camera bodies, though on the digital it will equal

80mm).</i>

<Br><br>

Who makes that lens? I can't find one by sigma for that much, or tamron. I've been looking on ebay but that's so random its hard to rely on.