Traveling to Europe, take the XT or 40D?

amol

<p>Hey everyone,</p>

<p>I know this is subjective, but I thought I would bounce some ideas of you all. I currently own the Rebel XT and the 40D. I am currently using the 40D for "paid work" the XT is a back-up. But I spent many year using the XT, and Rebel 300D without any major limitations. Actually, the main reason of the upgrade to the 40D was burst/frame rate for children/family photos that my Rebel XT could not keep up with when shooting RAW candid/moving shots. (Oh and the other reasons to upgrade: the ergonomics and ISO performance of the 40D)</p>

<p>Here is the thing, I'm planning a trip to Europe with my wife (and in-laws.... yes I'm prepared) in May 2009. I had always assumed that I would take the best camera I have, the 40D. But, my wife pointed out that probably shouldn't take my most expensive and heaviest camera body. And I realized that when I went to Europe in 2005, I used my Rebel 300D, and I was relatively satisfied with the shots. Except for low-light high ISO type shots, since I don't travel with a tripod. We usually take a single hiking pack, and daypack/camera-bag. <strong>So, packing light and small is important.</strong></p>

<p>So, the advantage of using the XT is:<br /> The XT is light-weight, slighly smaller to pack, cheaper to replace, I won't be too upset if I break it or it is stolen, and don't plan on using the burst/frame rate when traveling, so the 40D won't help with that. The "40D is for paid work", I'm not getting paid for Europe.</p>

<p>The advantage of the 40D:<br /> Better ISO performance (this is a big one), larger mega-pixels (in case I decide to enlarge), and it is more robust/better-built. Technically, it is the best camera I have, I guess, that is not a good enough reason to take it?</p>

<p>Here are some shots I took in 2005, with my Rebel 300D (6 mp) and Sigma 18-125. None of the night shots were with a tripod, I did boost the ISO. (so ISO is a big deal):<br>

http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=501312</p>

<p>Regardless of the body I take, I will be taking my Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 (significant upgrade from my Sigma) and the Canon 55-250 IS.<br /> <br /> Any thoughts and suggestions are welcome.<br /> Thanks,<br /> Amol</p>

<p>Thieves are unlikely to distinguish between a XT and 40D, so take your better camera. </p>

<p>Use standard cautionary procedures, like carrying your gear in a beat-up, non-photo bag, or a ThinkTank Urban Disguise, and staying away from dodgy places, especially after dark. You could also insure your gear quite cheaply for the duration of the trip.</p>

<p>For low ISO situations, take an EF 50mm/f1.8, which is compact and feather-light, and costs less than $100. Consider taking a monopod to stabilize your camera.</p>

<p>Europe is a very safe place to travel. Just use the same caution you would in urban areas near your home. Pickpockets around tourist areas are probably your biggest concern.</p>

<p>I'd take the 40D. It has much better low light AF (for dim churches & museums) and ISO 3200 should you need it. I carried a 40D/17-55 2.8 combo for 12 hours a day for 3 weeks in Europe last year and was none the worse for the wear. </p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>Unless you are planning on shooting the very worsrt sections of Marseilles and Naples in the middle of the night, alone, and showing off your equipment, forget worrying about the risk of having the gear stolen. Just keep track of your bag, not leaving it at one end of a bus when you are at the other end....in other words, use common sense. Nobody knows the difference of what is in your hands or in your closed bag. </p>

<p>As far as weight, the difference is really minimal unless you have a physical impairment. Folks say to me "Wow, heavy camera" (1D series) and I say "Compared to a bag of RZ gear including body, 3 backs, 5 lenses, big 72mm filters, I still consider this a compact". Especially if this is a "once in a decade" type trip (for many an extended trip to Europe would be once in a lifetime) bring your best gear.....why not stack all of the odds in your favor unless in terms of getting the highest quality shots? Unless you are a snapshooter and don't care about getting the best technical quality, bring the best gear.</p>

<p>If you need to leave your gear often in hotels or are really worried about having it stolen pick up some insurance before the trip, it is inexpensive. </p>

<p>I would second that...bring the XT and a <strong>small</strong> P&S. Given your traveling companions you may find that the P&S takes the vast majority of your shots and if you end up having more shutter time the XT will always be on hand.<br>

Most of all, enjoy the trip...</p>

<p>Thanks for the replies so far. More feedback is always welcome.<br /> <br /> Let me clarify: It's not so much, that it will be stolen, because it is a 40D vs a XT. But, IF it did get stolen (or broken) I would not feel so bad, if it was the XT. (Though, I guess being without the camera would upset me regardless). I agree, that if I use common sense, I should be fine. I had no issues last time we went.<br /> <br /> I actually already own the Canon 50mm f/1.8. I brought it with me last time (2005), and honestly I didn't use it at all. I even had the Sigma 18-125 with me, and because of the crappy f-stop, I thought I would need a low-light lens, but it was not wide enough for the shots I wanted. I figure the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 will cover the low-light issue. (especially paired with a 40D @ ISO 1600 or 3200)<br /> <br /> I plan on buying my wife a Canon SD880IS, it is a wide angle, well relatively, it goes from 28-113mm (or something). So, I wasn't too worried about not having a back-up. We would share, if needed. Not sure if that is the best plan.<br /> <br /> Sinh: I had at one point, thought about taking both bodies. But that would negate the purpose of "traveling light". Also, might be a tough thing to convince my wife. It is strange, how owning 2 camera bodies, makes this decision hard. Back in the day, my 300D was all I had, and this choice was very easy (because my choice was limited)<br /> <br /> Puppy Face: when you went to Europe, is that all the equipment you took with you? Just the 40D and 17-55? Did you take any other lenses? Bodies? Flash? I'm actually going of 3 weeks also. And will probably be doing the 12hrs thing, maybe more. 7(8)am to about 9(10)pm, is usual for me.<br /> <br /> <br /> Colin: I'm guessing, I can convince my wife either way, she is pretty flexible. Afterall, she let me buy the 40D, and not sell make me sell the XT. Also, to clarify the XT (8mp) is what I have, not the XTi (10mp).<br /> <br /> Both my in-laws and wife know, that photography is important to me, so they will be somewhat understanding, somewhat.<br /> <br /> Thanks for the suggestions so far, more suggestions are always welcome.<br /> <br /> Amol</p>

<p>Take the 40D and both of your lenses. You'll need the ISO performance, and the 1/2lb won't matter when you look back and know you took the best picts you could over the trip.</p>

<p>That, coupled with the P&S will get you anything you need, and be quite pack-able.</p>

<p>Amol,</p>

<p>I live in the UK and travel around Europe quite a lot. I've recently taken all my best gear to: France, Belgium, Netherlands, Poland, Slovenia, Russia, Czech Republic, Finland, Norway and Iceland. I have never had a problem. Just use your common sense. I always take my best gear with me everywhere and that includes:<br>

Camera<br>

50mm f1.8<br>

24-105 f4L IS<br>

70-200 f2.8L IS<br>

300mm f4L IS<br>

1.4x Extender II<br>

580EX II<br>

100mm Macro</p>

<p>Camera gear is only a few bits of plastic, metal and glass. My household insurance covers it if anything should ever happen. Take the best stuff you have and you will never be left thinking 'I wish I had brought my...'</p>

<p> </p>

<p dir="ltr">While the 40D has much better ergonomics, I'd consider listening to the wife for the sole reason of satisfying her. </p>

<p dir="ltr"> </p>

<p dir="ltr">Lenses: An UWA is – at least IMHO – a must in a trip. Other recommended lenses which are both good and light are 18-55 IS, 50/1.8 and the 55-250 IS you already have. </p>

<p dir="ltr"> </p>

<p dir="ltr">Happy shooting,</p>

<p dir="ltr">Yakim.</p>

<p dir="rtl"> </p>

<p>I did 4 months in Europe with an XTi and three zoom lenses. I added a 50 1.4 and a polariser for Paris museums and their glass cases. 90 percent of my shots were with a 17-85 zoom using the IS in caves and dark churches. But I also used a PacSafe camera strap with a Domke postman shoulder pad over the pad that came with the strap.<br>

I'm going back this spring and carrying a 1DsM3 and four lenses in a PacSafe DayPac 200. The loaded pack weighs 26 pounds, but is like a little Fort Knox with steel webbing and wire in the straps. The camera strap will be on the 1Ds too for security.<br>

And yes, I plan to visit Naples.</p>

<p>I would take whichever body you prefer using. The difference in weight is ounces, not really enough to get too tied up about. I think life is too short to not use what you enjoy most. If you need to justify it, go with the improved high ISO performance. I'm a big fan of not saving anything for "best" and I always use what I prefer - you bought it, use it - don't leave it to languish at home!</p>

<p>If you are worried about theft just take out a cheap AAA travel insurance policy and you'll be covered (for a lot more than your camera too, obviously). I am English (currently living in the States) and travel all over Europe every year, for both work and pleasure. You are no more likely to have your stuff stolen in Europe than over here - just use the same sensible precautions that you would here and you'll be fine.</p>

I had similar dilema during my trip to Italy last month. I also have XT and 40D. I took both, but left the XT packed in the suitcase, while carrying 40D all the time for shooting. Kept the XT only for the reason that IF 40D fails, then what? I am not going to waste my expensive vacation (which may be once in my lifetime) because I don't have an alternative camera. Moreover, the Digital slr are notorious in giving you various errors and malfunctioning. It is not your Canon F1 or Nikon F3. So you must carry an alternative camera: XT is a great substitue to your 40D, if something happens to 40D.

<p>Aren't most camera (and cell phone, ipod, laptop etc) thefts due to operator error, or "brain farts" as I call them. I see tourists here in Seattle stop to take a picture, and leave their purse or camera bag behind them, not attached to their body. People sit at a table at McDonald's or Starbucks, leaving valuable items on the table when they walk up to get their order. I've actually gently hollered at people doing that and told them to pick it up. I think if someone is brazen enough to rip it off your shoulder not much you can do to avoid that.</p>

<p>I would approach it from another angle, what are you willing to take? I went through this on trips and always took too much. I've since switched to a single G9 and Manfrotto 209 with a tiny Gitzo ballhead for travel, my load is much lighter. At home I shoot everything from 4x5 on down. </p>