Traveling through AMS airport with film/trains in Germany

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Farkle-Mpls, Oct 11, 2021.

1. Yes, yet another film traveler question!

I'm traveling from Minnesota (USA) to Nuremberg, Germany for a short vacation. I have a real hankering to shoot B&W film this trip.

TSA agents in MSP are awesome about hand-checking carry-on film but as I transfer to KLM in AMS I am wondering (I don't remember) if I have to get my hand luggage re-scanned as I go from gate to gate at the airport. Does anyone remember?

Another question: Are the carry-on scanners X-ray or the newer CT scanners at AMS? (My return flight is via AMS.)

As a bonus question, cross country train travel within Germany ... any scanning of carry-on luggage?

If it seems too much hassle/risk, I'll carry digital but I want to run down this line of questioning first. I've some wonderful older film cameras I've re-discovered lately. I'd love to take them with me.

Many thanks!

2. Sandy Vongries

Sandy Vongries Administrator Staff Member

There is still 35mm film made and sold in Germany. Make a convenient connection, risk a little film to travel with, and get more there. You can probably even ship exposed film to your home, almost certainly get it processed in country and bring it home without risk. Sounds like a fun trip!

3. No luggage scanning on trains. Exception might be UK headed ones.

4. Sandy -- I like that idea. Anyone know of a place to buy film in the Old Town in Nuremberg? Else, I'll Google for it.

5. Great news -- thank you!