Travel with a beaten F1

m_m7

<p>Just came back from a trip to Guatemala and Mexico.Although I have many cameras I took only a beaten F1 with 3 old lenses 50mm/1.8,24mm/2.8 and 135mm/2.5 all S.C lenses.Scanned few pictures last night.Here they are exactly as they came out from the scans</p><div>00UywP-189517884.JPG.6914f3f81ad51c33b604c1a54ce73ed7.JPG</div>

<p>Nice. Film and scanner? I love using old technology (well except the scanner of course lol), its like a big giant middle finger salute to the digiscam crowd (and i use digital also). I've got some beat up F1s and Efs that never disappoint. I like the grave shot, even better if you ps out the powerlines and powerpole ;)</p>

<p>Mihail,</p>

<p>Thanks, and nice indeed. The portrait of the girls shows me a facet of each personality. And I like the architectural shots and cemetery. Like WT, I dislike power lines. I've wanted for 25 years to invent a power line filter. It would rotate like a polarizer. (It will not be available in a 34mm drop-in, though).</p>

<p>Old technology. Why is it that so many believe that older is inferior? I suppose part of it is a cultural mindset that held true through certain times of real progress in history, or at least in industry, but in this instance (and quite a few others), the technology is producing features, not function. It's often gadget engineering.</p>

<p>But, wait! Mihail didn't have an LCD preview, autofocus, autoexposure, the chance to make 30 practice shots for each image, a menu of "useful" options to use, nor a lithium battery, nor a motor drive, nor Supercalifragilisticexpialidociously Superb Super Special Spectra Coatings, nor the latest plastics, and his outfit weighed a pound (half a kg?) more than a new system! Nor did he spend $1,647 US for the three lenses. At least I hope not.</p>

<p>As always, skill is in the hands of the artisan and art in the mind of the artist. Given fundamentally adequate tools, of course.</p>

<p>We visited Pennslvania a couple of weeks ago from Massachusetts. In a group shop of antiques, I bought for less money than a drugstore 7 MPX digicam P&S: An original Canon F1 with 50 f1.4, 24 f2.8, Tokina zoom(fungus), Nikon to Canon adapter, Motordrive Unit but battery insert missing, polarizer, flash coupler. It was clean save the Tokina....and working including meter with still active mecury battery. I took a roll while on vacation and the 24 is outstanding with evidence of light use. The 50 has had more use but works well. Anyone have a battery insert for corded battery unit? may be 10 AA style, 8 AA fits integral Battery case model D. I'll post photo taken in PA when I get a chance!</p>

<p>Yes Jeff you're right 24 is SSC.I didn't pay too much attention.Sorry for the telephone lines I have no Photoshop nor any intention to buy it.I should have paid more attention to the composition indeed.Had a lot of fun with the old guy,bought it at a garage sale here in long Island for 125 (the camera and two lenses ).I have many FD lenses and bodies but it was an impulse,checked few basic functions and decided to take it with me as the only camera.</p>

<p>What, you guys never saw the old Twilight Zone episode where the kid (Billy Mummy-later on Lost in Space) talks to his dead grandmother on the toy phone she gave him? Everybody thinks he's nuts till they go to the grave site and see phone wires going into the grave. Theremin up...and fade.</p>

<p>Cool reading this thread and looking at your shots. I'm an Old F-1 fan from way back and have owned a few over the years. Currently have my prized F-1 loaded with some Elite Chrome, about a half-shot roll left over from an air show I attended this past weekend. </p>

<p>The great thing about the old F-1 is it just keeps on going -- and going -- and going. My current one was built some time in 1976 (early serial number for the F-1n), and I'm confident that it will still be a capable picture taker that my grandchildren can use some day -- if there's still 35mm film that is. I'm gradually rebuilding a decent FD selection that I sold off years ago. So far, I'm about even. I have a few better lenses than I used to have, and a few that weren't as good as others I used to have. Seems that interest in the old FD glass has picked up some, though, ever since the Panasonic G1 crowd has found out about FD adapters for their cameras.<br>

Anyway, it's always a pleasure reading about adventures with the old F-1. Heck, even adventures with the New F-1. Great shots. If you got more, post 'em.</p>

<p> </p>