Travel tripod

mark_johnson35

<p>I did a search but the most recent post I could find go back to '07. I am looking for a good travel tripod. I have a Nikon D200 w\a Tamron 18-270 lens. I am going to Russia in July and would like one that I can pack in my carry on bag. It does not have to be extremly tall as I will mainly use it for night shots (esp. in Red Square). Thanks.</p>

<p> If money is no object,for $700:</p>

<p>http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/475899-REG/Gitzo_GT1550T_GT_1550T_Traveler_6X_Carbon.html</p>

<p>Light, carbon, and cheaper, Feisol CT-3441SB:</p>

<p>http://www.feisol.com/english/feisolen.htm</p>

<p> If the budget is tight (and you'll need a head to put on it):</p>

<p>http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/479931-REG/Bogen_Manfrotto_190XB_190XB_Tripod_Legs_Black_.html</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I'll agree with ANovisto. The Slik Sprint Pro is indeed the best I've used, and I've gone through nearly a dozen travel pods. I actually prefer the (discontinued) Pro version over the Pro II, as its lighter and more compact (no leg wraps and smaller head), but just as stable. Even used it with a Hasselblad in a pinch.<br>

But the Pro II is just as effective, just a little bit bulkier/heavier. For a compact travel tripod, I prefer not to use a quick release head and leg wraps as they also add weight and volume. That's purely personal preference and your needs may differ.</p>

<p>I recommend two types of tripods in addition to the Gitzo travel tripods:<br>

The Gitzo GT 1531 or 1541; or GT 2531 or 2541<br>

<a href="http://www.naturescapes.net/store/home.php?cat=19">http://www.naturescapes.net/store/home.php?cat=19</a><br>

And a pocket tripod that you can put in you pocket, like the UltraPod II. <br>

If you can pack a prime lens for you D 200, like a Nikon 20mm f 2.8 or a 50mm or the new 35mm f 1.8 DX.<br>

Joe Smith</p>

<p>Why is it necessary to pack it in your carry-on luggage? I always travel with a tripod, but one large and stiff enough to do the job. It goes in my checked baggage. In the field, I carry it with a shoulder strap or (usually) by one leg or over my shoulder.</p>

<p>I am researching all suggestions. The reason I want to put it in my carry on bag is that is that we do not plan to check our bags. I will have a bag for clothes (and hopefully a tripod) and a daypack w\camera\lens and other items. I don't know how much I will use the tripod but I want to try to get some night shots of Red Square and possibly other buildings and a tripod will certianly increase my chance of success (I am very much an amature). So any and all ideas are appreciated.</p>

<p>Any tripod is better when you need one than no tripod. I took a twenty dollar throw away aluminum tripod with me to Italy for the same reason. It had to always be with me but I didn't want to notice it when I didn't need it. The trip was for business, not photragraphy. Had the trip been for the purpose of photography I'd have taken the best tripod for the job. My only suggestion is to get a tripod that will be safe to leave your camera on should you need to let go of it for something or in case the wind blows.</p>

<p>The cheapy aluminum worked for what it was, but I learned from that experience that for just a fraction more weight I could actually have a good tripod with me that still fits the bill. Check out the Fancier carbon fiber tripods. The legsets are a spectacular value. The heads are junk, but will work until you get a better one to put on the legset. I use the 6826 and it works for all off my stuff up to 4x5. I use a Manfrotto ballhead on it which is just personal preference.</p>

<p>The Fancier models go from tiny and light up to big and heavy. There are a bunch of models to choose from. I have done business with this seller and highly recommend them. (No, I have no personal connection to the seller other than being a satisfied customer.)</p>

<p>You cannot go wrong for about a hundred fifty bucks in a carbon fiber setup. </p>

<p><a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/Carbon-Fibre-Fiber-CF-Pro-Tripod-Case-FT6826T-NEW_W0QQitemZ370093098496QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item562b448600&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1234%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50">http://cgi.ebay.com/Carbon-Fibre-Fiber-CF-Pro-Tripod-Case-FT6826T-NEW_W0QQitemZ370093098496QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item562b448600&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1234%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50</a></p>

<p>Imho, With your stated abilities, you should take your camera and lenses into your fav camera store, ask a knowledgeable sales person to show a couple of sturdy, lightweight, right height for you, (don't want to spend your days with a sore neck from bending over looking into the view finder) and a big one for me, functionality. You might not need that top of the line tripod now. You can get a very capable unit for under a buck fifty.<br>

Just make sure it feels good and solid to you, ease of operation especially with the mounting system. Nothing says cheap insurance better that a good positive lock on the mounting hardware also.<br>

Since I went digital in 2004, I kinda got away from the manual side of taking a picture. Tend to lose control real easy with all those dials and buttons. Don't get me wrong, these new camera's metering systems kick some butt. I just love the shots taken at night, 100 ISO, f11 or smaller depending on the vision I have, set the timer, kick the shutter in the guts, countdown and decibal click.<br>

Does it get any better than that ? There is a reason Ansel Adams and his peers had a f64 club.<br>

Have a great trip, shoot at night by yourself, no one to talk you out of your vision.</p>

<p>The TSA will not allow tripods to be in carry on bags. They are tools over seven inches or weapons and are subject to confiscation. They need to be in your checked baggage. I know that some photographers get away with this, but many others have suffered the consequences. Just read the TSA list of banned items and you will get the idea as to what you can take onto an airline. Joe Smith</p>

<p>The "can I carry on a tripod" question is one I have been trying to get an answer to. I have read many post on various web sites that indicate people have not had a problem doing this. That is something I need to figure out before a buy a tripod for this trip as I do not plan to check any baggage. I will continue to research tripods as well as find the answer to this question. Thank you.</p>

<p>I can understand why one wants a tripod that fits in a carry on bag. I like to do short trips because we only get 4 weeks annual leave and I have a travel bug. I go alone and I travel in a rush, 2 or 3 days and onto the next city. My day to day itineary planned etc. When one is out for a sunrise you stay out with all your gears until night time after dinner and a sunset shoot. If it is raining the last thing I want to do is carry a suitcase or a 2nd bag, navigate a map, practice foreign lingo, try to connect with public transportation. I don't like to show people I have a tripod, so its in my daypack for the odd shot in low light when I cannot handhold it cos in the afternoon it may be too busy that even if it is allowed in that country, it may not be suitable. </p>

<p>At checkout time, you may need to wait some hours before your bus or train departs so you would be walking around with all your stuff, and I prefer not to come back to the accomodation or hostel to pick up my stuff and waste time. One can have a tripod in a daypack and go into a department store, grab breakfast, lunch or dinner and not feel too awkward. </p>

<p>Over the years, I had a lager Gitzo and then I got a Feisol 3402 which fits in a daypack without the head, there is also a 3442 model or something that folds back 180deg like the Gitzo travelers. In due time I may get a Gitzo traveler cos they do last and in particular the 5 section one is less stable but for a light SLR setup they should be fine and it fits in a daypack with the head connected. The reason I am shying away from Feisol is because the legs are easier to undo and the head attaches easier on the legs on the Gitzo. It is more $$ but it is a lifetime investment. I have a the older Gitzo before the 6X series came out but for what it is, size and height stuff, if I were to get an equivalent Gitzo on the newer 6x lineup I won't. But the Feisol when set up does provide v sharp images.</p>

<p>In terms of packing afaik or that it might have changed, nail clippers and razors are not allowed on carry on therefore I put my daypack on checked baggage with the tripod, I go onboard with a plastic bag and when I land I put it back into my daypack. I am going to Malaysia soon and I weighted that bag without the carry on camera stuff (one cam, two lens in total, filters, no flash), it weights 3kg or 6lbs. Travel sized toiletries, hand towel instead of bath towels.</p>

<p>You can always review the current TSA security provisions but that would only apply to the US. You still have to deal with other countries and any individual airline requirements - security may well "allow" items that for weight or space reasons an airline won't. I happen to use the Bogen 725b and it's fairly easily carried with/on a pack but not sure I'd want to try to deal with it on a plane.</p>

<p>I am happy with my Gitzo 1540T. When I take it on a trip, I usually put it in my checked bag. On the other hand, when I pack it in my carry-on or carry it in the little fabric bag that Gitzo provides, I have never had a problem domestically or internationally. In all my reading about the subject of carrying on a tripod, I have never seen anyone say point blank that TSA or other security agencies confiscated their tripod. Nor have I heard anyone say they have been denied boarding by an airline for reasons related to a tripod. I would love to hear from people who have actually had a problem when carrying on a tripod.</p>

<p>I have travelled around and have never had trouble with packing a tripod on carry on ... the only time I have been hasseled is when I tried to board with a mass pf computor cables etc. I would not go without a tripod these days even if it is a bean bag or gorrilla pod... although I am scared using the gorrilla pod 30 stories up.,,expensive camera and all but if it is worth taking something... probably goriila pod... it does steady the camera for those long exposures...good luck and happy trails .</p>

<p>I just got back from Monteal. My first trip with a Gitzo GT0531 and a Swiss Arca Z1. I have a 40D with a EF-S 17-55 f2.8 IS lens. Light enough to carry in backpack or just loose. Put it in my 22 inch bag and checked it -- all came out just fine. I loved it for travel.</p>

<p>I take my Flashpoint - F1228 carbon tripod everywhere. As a professional landscape/travel photographer I'm always on the move. I shoot with a D300 most of the time. The F - 2 ballhead works great. I currently have them both with me in Morocco right now. The tripod is very light and straps easily to my photo pack. I consider Gitzo tripods' performance the same but <strong>the big difference is the price! </strong> My photo pack with my tripod strapped to it go right with me on the plane everywhere I go.</p>

<p>(Some) TSA agents will confiscate tripods in Houston TX . TSA agents in Grand Junction, Colorado told me tripods are weapons and need to go into your checked baggage. TSA agents in Houston might confiscate ball heads from your carry on lugage because they could be used as weapons.<br>

TSA specifically bans sporting goods like baseball bats from carry on luggage. And it specifically bans night sticks, billy clubs, hammers, screwdrivers, tools over seven inches, etc. Given that the TSA bans these items, what makes you think a photographer can carry a tripod onto an airplane a tripod? <br>

<a href="http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm#5">http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm#5</a><br>

Joe Smith</p>