Travel Tri Pods

soniam

I am just wondering if anyone has found the perfect, multi use tripod.

I'm looking for something that compacts into a small case, easy to assemble, light weight, and durable. I spend a bit

of time every year in Mexico and central America where you do not want to draw attention to yourself but there are

so many photo oppertunities I cannot pass by.

I have been looking at a Trek-Pod Go as it seems to be a good choice. Has anyone had experience with one? Do

you have any other suggestions? Thank you very much for your time.

Hi Sonia. A lot of this depends on your equipment and your budget. I've travelled a lot with my Gitzo G1228 Mk 2 carbon

fibre tripod with a Really Right Stuff BH55 head. That setup is good for everything up to the big lenses. I also have a G1128

Mk2 little guy which is good for lightweight work, some flowers and hiking about. Both tripods are pretty compact. They are

definitely a compromise because they don't give the same support as the larger versions, but seem to work well for me and

my wife when we travel. I think there are newer editions of these tripods out, or you could look for them used as well.

We have a small table-top tripod. Unfortunately when it is folded and put into the leather case, it has the shape of a hand gun. Needless to say it attracted attention from TSA after 9/11, to the point of guns being drawn as I opened the case! Not TSA's fault, they were doing their job! My stupidity for trying it in carry-on, but I bet it would have attracted attention in checked.

Sonia, I do not believe there is such a thing as "the perfect, multi use tripod". It becomes a matter of finding one that best suits your particular requirements relevant to the occasion.

For travel, I use a Velbon mini tripod with a Cambo CBH 2 ball head. Folded, it is 9 inches long; fully extended, it is 18 inches long. Because the locking lever on the ball head has broken, I now use a 10mm socket spanner to lock it in place and after having several socket spanners confiscated as carry on luggage, it now has to go as checked luggage. I am now looking at replacing the Cambo CBH 2 head with a Manfrotto 308 ball head to solve the this problem.

My other tripods (in use) are both very large and heavy survey tripods, one fitted with a Wimberley Gimbals head on a Manfrotto levelling base, the other with a Manfrotto 268 ball head; both of which are connected by custom made adapter plates. The expensive lightweight aluminium tripod is now relegated to holding a flash after snapping one of the leg/centre column bracing stays. Carbon fibre is well outside the realms of my budget.

Gordon, your tripod wouldn't happen to be a Leitz Mini Tripod? For the reason you have detailed, I did not get one years ago, much as I would have liked; but chose the Velbon instead.

Hi Sonia:

I've had good luck with a Velbon UltraMaxi L tripod. It weighs about 2 lbs, folds down to about 14 inches, and extends to about 40 inches. I replaced the Velbon head with a Manfrotto 484 ball head. It works well with a compact cameras, but I wouldn't use it with a dSLR.

If I have room in my luggage, I'll take my Velbon 530A carbon fibre tripod. It weighs 2.8 lbs without the head, folds down to 21 inches and extends to about 48 inches without raising the center column. I really like this tirpod, it's not as well constructed as the Gitzos, but it's half the price.

They're widely available and your local store should be able to get either one for you, or you could order from one of the web stores.

regards

Santo

havent used the trvael trekpod go, but its essentially a three-legged monopod, right? seems like an ok solution, especially for hikers, but i'd also consider a velbon ultra luxi (http://www.amazon.com/Velbon-Ultra-Luxi-Tripod-Socket/dp/B000246WNI/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1228083747&sr=8-3) , a manfrotto 725b (http://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-725B-Tripod-Integrated-Carrying/dp/B000FFSDCC/ref=pd_cp_e_3?pf_rd_p=413862901&pf_rd_s=center-41&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000246WNI&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0D5HRPQFX53HFAQKJZMX) or a gorillapod SLR (http://www.amazon.com/Joby-Gorillapod-SLR-Zoom-Flexible-Digital/dp/B001KB6NK4/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1228083932&sr=1-5).

the velbon and manfrottos are traditional tripods, and as such will be a bit more stable. the gorillapod can be wrapped around trees, benches, etc. you'll probably want to get a ballhead for the gorillapod (it's also available with one for about $60 more). a QR plate is also a good idea for quick set-up. the trekpod comes with one, but that design doesn't look like it'd be too stable in windy places. your best bet might be to try a couple of different 'pods hands-on.

I am a big fan of the Flashpoint carbon fiber tripods. Very lightweight and durable. I have taken my smallest one (model: F-1128) on many backpacking, travel and climbing adventures. I like to use a Flashpoint F-2 ballhead with it also. The tripod itself weighs just over three pounds and extends up to 52 inches (60 inches with the extended column). It is priced at about half of what you will pay for other carbon fiber tripods and, in my opinion, delivers the same performance. Good luck.

Rachid Dahnoun

It really depends on what kind of camera and lens you plan to use and how critical you are on height and weight. Small tripods usually don't extend very high, at least while retaining some stability. This can be very limiting in some places. I have several different tripods depending on the type of camera, longest lens, how much weight I am willing to carry, how likely I am to use it etc. etc. Some of the tripods I have include Velbon Ultra Maxi, smallest Al Gitzo, 2-Series CF Gitzo and Leitz tabletop tripod. All have their place and are useful for the right equipment.

Wow, Thank you for such extensive resonses! The variety of suggestions is wonderful! I am using a Canon Rebel XTI with a couple not-so huge lenses. My largest at the moment is 300mm. My budget is around $250. I have a short, table top tripod that I used on my canoeing trip. It is nice for the quick set-up but I think I am more interested having a full size travel option. Eric, I had never looked at a gorillapod before. Not sure if that is what I want in this situation but it is a very interesting option for future consideration. Depending on my luggage perhaps I will take a table-top and a full-height... Again, I thank you all for your responses. I leave Mid December so this gives me a couple weeks to investigate all your suggestions. This really is a wonderful site!

Hi Sonia... Like you, I was looking for a similar setup. I ended up with a Gitzo 2541 and an RRS BH-40 head. I think the

combination can't be beat. I do a lot of traveling and lots of hiking, kayaking, etc. It's been amazing. Lightweight, very

durable, sturdy, simply and reliable - very easy to carry. I use all Nikon, but I do have a 70-200 f/2.8 lens that is pretty long

and heavy - works perfectly. I would HIGHLY recommend this setup. Best of luck!

Hi Sonia,

Everyone gives you a different opinion on tripods. Here's mine. Last year I purchased an Induro carbon fiber tripod - I got

the C-214. This is a rock solid tripod that is light and folds into a 21" suitcase. It does everything that a comparable Gitzo

does at a lot less money. When I travel I keep the ball head in my camera bag. We took the tripod to Argentina and Chile

last February with great results. Check it out at www.indurogear.com The model I have supports my Nikon D80, an

average weight DSLR, with any lens you choose. I don't think you will be disappointed with Induro. Go to a good camera

store and check it out.

I agree with Steve that the 4 section Gitzo CF1228, or its replacement, may just be the best travel legset out there. (If you must have a mini tripod, the Leica tabletop is something worth considering.) Having gone through at least five or six full-sized tripods I can say that the 1228 is worth every penny. It's capable of handling lenses up to a 500mm f/4 and large ball heads with the Wimberley Sidekick. I've lugged mine all over the world, crammed into my suitcase.

Cullmann 1002 with ball head weighs a total of only 19 oz. and collapses to 12" in length. Very easy to lash to even a small camera bag and to take everywhere. Great for a camera and lens or to hold a remote flash. Cost is $55 so if it is stolen it is no big deal. But the real value is that I never leave it behind due to its size and weight.