Travel lenses help

m_m7

<p>Hi.I will be traveling soon to Turkey and Eastern Europe soon.I am planning to take my Sony A850 as well as one film camera probably my Maxxum 9 for slides.I am very fond on prime lenses in general and like to travel light although is not a big deal to have some zooms in a bigger bag.I am planning to shoot some landscapes as well as some busy streets,harbors where a portrait lens will be probably very useful.<br>

I acquired over the last few months some old Minolta lenses and played with some of them although I was very busy with other projects.Anyway I was thinking to take 2-3 lenses with me.The ones I currently have(all Minolta) are :20mm,28mm/f2,<br>

35mm/f2,50mm macro,100mm macro,85mm,135mm and the two zooms 28-135 and 70-210 f4 beercan.<br>

Thank you for your help,<br>

Mihail</p>

<p>From your listed lenses I'd probably go for the 20mm (not sure how heavy the Minolta version is but I'm currently in love with the Sigma 20 f1.8), the 50 macro and the beercan. Or look for a 70-210 f3.5-4.5, it's optically close to the beercan but significantly lighter and more compact.<br>

With my own current lens selection to choose from I'd probably travel with the Sig 20 1.8 or Sony 11-18 zoom, Sony 30 2.8 macro, Min 70-210 3.5-4.5 and Min 500 f8 reflex.</p>

<p>Thank you for the suggestions.Somebody told me to get the 100-200mm f4.5 as it is very compact.Never used that one.The same friend also suggested the heavy but beautiful optically 80-200mm 2.8 .Also never used one but I assume is excellent as all the profesional tele zooms for all manufacturers(I had the Nikon AF version before).<br>

Right now I am tempted to find either a fixed 200mm or the above mentioned small 100-200mm for the longer reach</p>

<p>I would not get any cheap zoom for the A850. It needs really good lenses to make use of the high resolution sensor. If you need something small and light, then get the NEX5, or any small compact digicam. The Minolta 200 is a great lens. But I am quite sure the 2,8/80-200 would be good as well. For your trip, I would take two lenses, three at most. 28 or 35, and 85. If three then 20 or 28, 50 and 100 or 135.</p>