Travel Help for a Really Bad Back

<p>Hi Everybody,<br>

I am going on a national geographic trip next week. I had back surgery about 6 weeks ago and I'm more weak than I'd like to be for this trip, but I'm going! Does anyone have a suggestion as to a good waist pack? I am going with my D800 which for me is always heavy. I primarily shoot in my studio with a tripod. Should I consider buying one of the new samsung cameras to make my trip more enjoyable? If so, which one. BTW<</p>

<p>If you have a bad back, you really won't be happy carrying much; I speak from bitter experience. If you can afford it, get a small, light camera that will fit in a pocket. I carry a little Panasonic TZ40 (known as the ZS30 in the US). It has limitations but with an equivalent lens range from 24~400mm, it's much better than nothing and certainly better than hurting yourself with a dSLR.</p>

<p>I have a few waist packs which I use to carry incidentals such as a flash, batteries, memory cards, etc, but none of them can accommodate a DSLR. I find that if loaded up too much they can cause back strain. My primary cameras are a D7000 and a D90 both of which have the OP-Tech Bino Strap (elastic version)attached. They really take the weight off my neck and back. As for a small camera, I use a Panasonic Lumix FZ200. With its fast f2.8 leica lens, a swivel lcd monitor and a 24-600 zoom, it is a great travel camera. I have MS and a walking problem, so I fully sympathize with you. Good Luck. Jerry</p>

I don't go on such trips but I do have a very bad back and I typically carry the camera on a cross body strap screwed into

the camera tripod socket or a waist mount such as the cotton carrier. That really helps the back. If the camera is there

(and I can handle even a biggish DSLR that way such as the Canon 5D) it makes the bag much lighter.

<p>I've had chronic pain, weakness and occasional spasms in my back, neck and shoulders since a 2001 car wreck. Over the years I've had to pare down my equipment to suit my abilities.</p>

<p>If I had the budget and preferred full frame I'd get the smallest, lightest full frame camera I could afford and a couple of good stabilized lenses (assuming the camera didn't include in-body stabilization). I'd choose the Nikon D610 over the D800, but I'd also consider Sony for the compact size and light weight full frame.</p>

<p>I'd also want an articulated rear screen. If the camera didn't include one I'd get an add-on reflector doodad from Flipbac or other source. This can help avoid craning the neck, stooping or straining, with or without a tripod.</p>

<p>If full frame isn't a requirement the field is wide open. There are all kinds of APS, Micro 4:3 and even 1-inch sensor cameras with stabilized lenses or bodies.</p>

<p>Good image stabilization technology can help minimize the need for a tripod. I'd have given up photography by now if not for VR lenses (although I do a lot of creative motion blur and soft focus stuff as well, but that's not to everyone's taste). There are a few compromises involved but it beats the alternative - not taking photos at all. At the moment I'm considering the Sigma DX format stabilized f/2.8 and f/4 midrange zooms to replace most of my older Nikkors, since Nikon has never provided a fast VR midrange zoom.</p>

<p>I'd probably leave the tripod at home. Working with a tripod forces my neck into odd positions that result in days of pain - which I'm experiencing right now after using a tripod a couple of times last week. I carried the camera and tripod only a few hundred yards, but craning my neck to get just the right composition was a mistake. So I've been wearing a neck brace, which I detest, and taking muscle relaxers, which I also detest because they make me drowsy and unproductive. Analgesic creams and a powerful vibrating massager help a bit.</p>

<p>If I had to take a tripod at all it would be the lightest I could find that was adequate - not to say ideal or optimal - for the camera and lens. But I'd probably take a monopod that doubled as a walking stick.</p>

<p>A waist pack definitely helps. But my preferred cameras are all very small compacts so the Lowe Pro Off Trail bag I use would be too small for any Nikon dSLR, even the D610 or 5000-series.</p>

<p>And I hope I'm not sounding too pessimistic here. If anything I have the annoying ability to completely forget about my disabilities when I'm not actually in severe pain. So over the past decade+ I've repeatedly reinjured myself after blissfully forgetting that I can no longer carry heavy gear, a tripod, etc., without consequences.</p>

<p>For a day trip I'd say damn the consequences and lug it all. But for an expensive multi-day trip it would be better to work within your limitations and enjoy the entire trip, even if it means minor compromises in equipment.</p>

<p>Hi Lisa-my own experience is similar to Lex's (but without the car accident). I replaced my Nikon dslr and 3 lenses last summer with a Sony NEX-6 plus 3 lenses and it has been a dream come true. Especially when traveling, it is wonderful being able to carry/use my camera equipment with this much reduced weight. Needless to say, I now have more space in my camera bag as well and can add my iPad mini and still less weight to carry around around than before.<br>

You might really want to consider a compact camera such as Sony or Fuji-as much as I like my Sony, I hear a lot of good things about Fuji compact cameras.</p>

<p>Happy travels and take care of your back! cb :-)</p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>When I was a statehouse reporter for UPI many years ago, one of my photographer buddies had back surgery as the result of a lifetime spent carrying 30 pounds of gear over his shoulder. After the surgery, he showed up for a news conference in the governor's office with a tiny little 35mm Contax clipped to his belt. The governor pointed to the camera and asked "what's that toy?". The photographer pointed to the governor and said "small job, small camera." :) He spent the next few months shooting big and small jobs alike with a small camera, and his back appreciated it very much. Take a little camera, save your back, and look for photos that match what the little camera can do well.</p>

<p>Speaking of UPI, I covered the Olympics for them in Mexico City in 1968. On a day off I went into town to shoot a few tourist photos with a very heavy motor-driven Nikon F with many lenses, a spare body (a Nikkormat) and so on and before long I realized I made a mistake.<br>

Several years later I had a spare day off in Tokyo and carried a Canon SureShot, a small point-and-shoot. I like my Tokyo photos better than the Mexico City ones. Go figure. I think maybe using a small camera and one lens one tends to focus his/her eye more and does not get all balled up with getting "different" shots with multiple lenses.</p>