Travel around New York with Camera gear

pwk

Am travelling to New York soon for a week, taking EOS and 2 lens in Backpack,

is it safe to walk around in the daytime with camera gear, are backpacks

allowed on the streets? will be using a P&S for night time shots, any tips for

safe travel in NY, or best photo opps would be most welcome.

I walk around NYC all the time with my gear, and have never had any trouble. New York really isn't all that scary as long as you keep your head.

Just make sure you stop by B&H or Adorama if you run out of film (I prefer B&H for no other reason than getting to watch those little boxes)...

And you'll definitely want to stop by Brooklyn Bridge Park (a short walk from the York Street Station in Brooklyn on the F line) and the surrounding area, and Riverside Cathedral (116th Street on the 1).

I have photographed in NYC alone frequently- though I don't do it at night for the simple reason that I don't do much night photography. Get a one week metro ticket which I think costs $25 and is the biggest bargain you're going to get in the city. I don't feel threatened in NYC. I think its important that you don't look/behave like a victim. Nasty people are good at spotting victims.

Have been shooting on the NYC streets for almost 20 years, usually with expensive cameras. Have only felt threatened twice, and both times was able to avoid the danger by sensing it and taking measures-like ducking onto a busy street. Keep your eyes open and be aware of what is going on around you. Then have a good time. The best shooting is away from the tourist attractions and away from the very center of midtown.

I spent time last fall walking all over NYC and had no problems. You won't be the only "victim" with a nice camera. Spend some time in Central Park and walk over the Brooklyn Bridge. I have posted a few of my NYC photos. Have fun and don't be afraid to enjoy the city.

I've photographed in NYC with everything from a P&S to a DSLR and I've never had any problems. A backpack is fine, though you may have to check it in places like MOMA and if you shop in B&H! Oterwise backpacks are common in the street, on the buses on on the subway and trains.

Just use good sense and avoid sneaking down dark alleys in the middle of the night.

New York is now a pretty safe city, especially in the tourist areas and midtown Manhatten during the day.

FWIW: Based on FBI national crime statistics, among the U.S.'s largest cities, NYC is actually the safest. That means cities that are MORE dangerous measured by crime per capita include Denver, Atlanta, Miami, San Diego, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Chicago, San Antonio, Boston, Dallas, Houston, St. Louis, Birmingham, Cleveland, Oakland, Memphis, Richmond, Kansas City, Little Rock, Minneapolis, Las Vegas, Providence, Sioux Falls, Topeka, Omaha, Charleston, Phoenix, Albuquerque ... Walk alone, ride the subways, explore and have fun. Just use common sense as you would anywhere and you'll have a blast.

FYI; The two largest and best stocked camera stores in NYC are closed from April 2 through April 10 (they re-open on April 11) because of the Passover holiday. B&H is especially interesting to visit as it is so large and has lots of stuff on display in it etc,... The prices are more similar than different between these two stores.

There's some very good advise for you here, already posted. Most importantly: don't look like a victim.

Whatever you do, do not show fear. They can smell fear. And if they smell it on you they will be on you like flies on you-know-what. Also, if you happen to get lost, do not act like you are lost. And don't ask anybody for directions! Act like you know where you are going. Walk fast! Where ever you are, whatever time of day, walk fast, all the time. If you see someone coming down the street, get on the other side of the street. If they cross over as well, then turn down a side street. Start walking even faster. Run!

Stay away from dark lit streets. And always act like you mean business! But don't over do it. You don't want to be mistaken for a terrorist either. Do not, and I repeat, DO NOT pack a knife or a gun. There's nothing more pathetic than the victim who thought that it was just going to be a knife fight. And with a gun fight, either outcome is a major inconvenience. You are always better off just running away, running as fast as you can. Don't wait for a situation to get out of hand. If you are not sure, it is better to run now and sort it out later. It is always better to err on the side of caution.

But most of all, take lots of pictures. The Big Apple offers some excellent photo opportunities.

"And don't ask anybody for directions!"

Come on. Isn't this all a little over the top, Dave? It's like advice from a guidebook based on having only watched TV shows about the city. NY'ers are some of the friendliest people in any large city. They're usually busy on their way somewhere, but love to stop and help if asked. If you ask for directions, someone is just as likely to tell you what you need to know as just walk you there themselves. I live in NYC. I work here. I'm a small, balding guy without big muscles. I don't carry a weapon. Jeesh. What do you all actually get fed about this city? Just about anywhere in the US has more crime than NYC. It's 2007--not 1980. It's a safe, wonderful, exciting place where people just happen to walk and talk very fast.

In 1988 on my first visit there was scary stuff going on on the streets and subway - drugs/begging/threats/fights - and warnings not to walk west of 8th Ave (I think it was) at night. Took my wife in 1996 with all sorts of dire warnings about eye contact and looking purposeful and staying alert - not needed - so much had changed for the better. Sounds like it's still OK which is to be welcomed

and why wouldn't backpacks be allowed?

Remember the first rule of determining what you're allowed to do: anything not explicitly prohibited by law is implicitly legal.

Second rule: use common sense.

I'd not use a backpack because I'm paranoid about a bag others can get into behind my back faster than I can get into it myself, but that's the only reason I don't use one.