transmitter for 420ex?

Discussion in 'Canon EOS' started by sean_d, Feb 27, 2003.

1. will the ST-E2 transmitter work with a 420ex? if not, is there an
    existing one that will?
    if not, will someone lend me 900 bucks to get the kit?
    thanks

2. It will - I use it for controlling two 420ex. I believe there are also other alternatives, like one of the Sigma flashes which can serve as a master and costs about the same as the ST-E2, but I haven't tried them myself.

3. Yes, I also use the st-e2 to drive a 420ex. I haven't heard of a Sigma that will master the canon speedlites, but I could certainly be wrong. A 550ex would also master, of course, but it's kind of a waste of a good flash to have it mounted on camera when you could move it off camera, opposite the 420ex, and use the st-e2 instead. This is where I'm headed. Anyone have a 550ex they'd be willing to part with for a good price? ;-)

4. The Sigma EF500 Super (Not the ST model) will act as an E-TTL wireless master for the 420EX, as will a 550EX. Getting the Sigma (or the 550EX) seems like a better alternative to the ST-E2 since you can also use it as a flash in a two light setup.

Using a 550EX or Sigma EF500 Super as the master also has the advantage of being able to control three groups in stead of the 2 groups available with the ST-E2.