Toying of the Idea of a Olympus E-P2 as a Dedicated telephoto body

awahlster

<p>In my Quest for the next Camera kit I'm going to buy into the idea of a body dedicated to long telephoto use keeps coming up.<br>

I would buy a full frame DSLR for use with lenses from 17- 200mm and then thinking about a EP-2 with it's IBIS to make use of my Canon FD telephotos I have a 100mm f2.0 135mm f2.0 200mm f2.8 IF 400mm f4.5 and 500mm f4.5L that would all be awesome with the addition of IS. Since none of the Options with other bodies would give me this advantage.</p>

<p>YES I KNOW ABOUT THE CROP FACTOR and would in fact find this the #2 reason for going with a EP-2 to have a 16X that only uses the sweet spot on my 400mm f4.5 nFD and is the size of the 400mm. And I can't tell you how cool having a Birding lens like my 500mm f4.5L S.S.C. without having to have a 2X-A screwed on the back but instead to be using only the sweet spot in the center of the lens.</p>

<p>Not to mention my 200mm f2.8 internal focus on this body.<br>

And yes I am used to working with 16X and 20X lenses and have the technique and support for optics of that ilk having shot that way for years with my Canon FD cameras. Only this time I won't be at f9.0 I'll be two stops faster and I won't be stuck with 400ASA Slide film I will be able to gain a couple stops with the IBIS and be able to ramp the ISO up to 800 gaining another Stop.<br>

Just trying to decide if spending the money on this body is the way to go.<br>

Ah the never ending dilemma "What to buy"</p>

<p>I think focusing will be problem for anything except still subjects. Tripod would of course be mandatory, and then the benefit of IS is less important. You can focus it very accurately using live view and magnification but without maginification it would be hit an miss, especially on a moving subject. So it becomes a bit like using a view camera. If that suits your subject matter, then it should be fine.</p>