Topcon Super D Lazy Advance Lever

My Super D probably doesn’t get enough exercise, and thus it has now developed an annoying habit: the advance lever works properly in advancing the film and cocking the shutter, but then it does not return. It is not so, that it remains blocked in the outer position; rather, it must be gently pushed back.

I don’t think there is anything broken, because this did develop in mid-function; rather, the camera was 100% OK when last put back on its shelf, and now it is not. So, il would seems a matter of things being gummed up, and thus relatively easy to clean. Still, there have been plenty of warnings on this forum about the dire consequences of nonchalantly playing around wihth WD40 and lighter fuel, and thus I would very much appreciate any suggestions and advice.

If it was working fine before then I would agree it sounds like dried lubricant, rather than a weak return spring. You might also check that the lever itself is not rubbing against the top cover.

Using a few drops of naphtha should be OK to soften up any old grease. You might be able to do this simply by removing the film advance lever, If it needs further cleaning/lubrication and you need to remove the top cover of the camera, there is s service guide available online:

https://learncamerarepair.com/product.php?product=61