Tools of the Trade

John Seaman

I play tenor sax in 2 Big Bands so I was naturally curious about what the sheet music was. I had to download you photo and flip it to find out. What an excellent choice! I didn't know either 'Jeanniene' or 'Poor Butterfly' but I've looked up YouTube videos of both tunes and I really like them. Amazing that 'Poor Butterfly' was published as early as 1917! So (as a musician) I really like the photo - especially the 'wear and tear' on both the trumpet and the sheet music. The green plant gives a nice contrast and adds to the composition. Thanks for introducing me to these two great tunes.

Mike

Thanks for your feedback, Mike! Jeannine's a Duke Pearson tune that's equally fine for solo guitar / piano, a small group, or a full big band. Poor Butterfly is a classic Benny Goodman piece.

I took that pic on a gig. The worn flugelhorn finish is typical of a fine professional's treasured instrument. Most pro horn players with whom I work will not touch the finish on their instruments no matter how bad it looks - they're afraid it will alter their tone. This is especially true for the priceless greats, e.g. original early Selmer Mk 6s, Bach Strads etc. Few will even consider having less than major dents removed for the same reason. I think you can see what I mean on the trumpet in this shot I took during his solo:

manayunk.jpg.2fc8b8cf7f903953abca23c05dcdb509.jpg

• Like 5