Too short video length with E-PL 1

machts gut

<p>It's only occassionally that I'm shooting films with my E-PL1 and I realized that the length of the films is always limited to about 7 to 8 minutes in HD mode. The films then just stops. Does anybody know the reason for this or, more important, how I can solve this problem?</p>

<p>Thanks in advance, Stefan</p>

<p>Probably the 2 gig limit to file sizes. Not really any easy work around, try to plan your shoot in terms of shorter takes, it's really hard to keep control of a 5 minute take unless you're a cinematic genius. What are you trying to shoot?<br>

<br />Now, I'm sure Mr. Uknz can help us all out here and recommend a "proper video camera" with...</p>

<ul>

<li>Fast lenses and a large sensor for shallow DOF and low light shots.</li>

<li>Interchangeable lenses, because some of us have lens collections that span 8mm to 1000mm, much more than you see from typical video camera lenses.</li>

<li>Some attempt at cost effectiveness.</li>

</ul>

<p>We eagerly await his learned response.</p>

<p>[[Does anybody know the reason for this or, more important, how I can solve this problem?]]</p>

<p>This is by design. The camera limits footage in HD to ~7 minutes because it is using the Motion JPG file format which has a 2GB limit. If you shoot in SD you can get ~14 minutes.</p>

<p>To Joseph's point, a refurbished Olympus E-PM1 is available from Cameta for ~$250 (with the 14-42mm Mark II lens) or $170 for just the body (they're not in stock now). Recording time for video on the E-PM1 is 29 minutes when using the AVCHD file format. If you have existing lenses and you're already comfortable with the Olympus micro 4/3rds line, this would be a relatively inexpensive solution to the video problem. </p>

<p>Thanks for the information. I wasn't aware of the limits of the format and will use SD instead. I'm mainly interested in photography and only use the video function for documentation purposes (filming my daughter playing in her band etc.) twice a year or so. A proper video camera is not something I really need. If I wanted one I would have asked for that, JC.</p>

<p>AVI files are limited to 2GB. Any camera that shoots in AVI is limited to 7 minutes. The newer Olympus cameras shoot in AVCHD like the Panasonic cameras have since the beginning, so they can shoot longer, but Olympus still limits the video length to 30 minutes, unlike Panasonic (they do this because if a camera can record longer than 30 minutes in Europe, then it is considered a video camera and taxed accordingly. Panasonic simply makes multiple versions of a model, depending on the market. So, you may consider upgrading to the E-PM1 if you don't mind the 30 minute limitation, or consider something from Panasonic if you want longer.</p>

<p>As to JC's comment about a "real" video camera, well . . . go tell that to the people at dvxuser, dvinfo, EOSHD, or any other of the myriad sites where people use their DSLRs and mirrorless cameras for "real" movies. Or, just ignore him, and let him hang out with the other anachronists that fuss over what something is "supposed" to be used for, instead of what something CAN be used for. Heck, I first looked up this thread on my phone, which can't be correct, because a phone is used for making calls, not visiting websites, right?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>There are lots of reasons for using the correct tool</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I never said that there weren't.<br>

<br />So, please share your expertise on these "correct tools" with us and recommend a "proper video camera" with...</p>

<ul>

<li>Fast lenses and a large sensor for shallow DOF and low light shots.</li>

<li>Interchangeable lenses, because some of us have lens collections that span 8mm to 1000mm, much more than you see from typical video camera lenses.</li>

<li>Some attempt at cost effectiveness.</li>

</ul>

<p>We eagerly await your enlightenment on what is "correct" and "proper" on this issue. Or is putting your money where your mouth is "too old fashioned for people today LOL"?</p>

<p>Isn't photography and videography about the results, at the end of the day? I'll put the video quality of one of our micro 4/3 cameras up against a dedicated camcorder any day of the week, and twice on Sunday. I don't understand why, if the tool does the job, and does it admirably, is not considered the "correct tool." Then again, I think I need to go reread the definition of "troll" at urbandictionary, because I think I've stumbled onto one . . .</p>

• 4 weeks later...